Search Unity

Resolved Completely remove all Unity files and reinstall fresh [Issue Resolved]

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by borgiedude, Oct 23, 2021.

1. borgiedude

borgiedude

Hello all,

I'm having an issue opening my project after a few changes to my system, namely:
    • Google Drive changed the location of my Unity project
    • Installed Unity Hub 3.0
    • Installed latest Unity editor
    When attempting to open the project, after some time rebuilding libraries, etc. Unity encounters an error that states the following:

Unity has stopped working
    We will now try to find a fix for the crash. Please wait...

I've submitted a bug report and continued testing some other things to get my project to open while I wait for a response.

This morning, I got the project to open by installing Unity Hub and the latest editor on my work computer, deleting the folders within the 'Library' folder of my Unity project and opening the project through Unity Hub, which leads me to believe that there are issues with the install of Unity on my personal computer.

On my personal computer, I've reinstalled a few times and deleted the Unity and Unity Hub folders in AppData, Roaming, Local and LocalLow, but on reinstall I noted a reference to an old project still appeared in Unity Hub, so I must have missed some settings, cookies, etc. somewhere on my machine (and of course my project still did not open after the reinstalls).

What I'm seeking are any suggestions for other places to look for where Unity files and settings might live, so I can completely scorch the earth and start from an entirely fresh install which will hopefully allow me to open and keep working on my project.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. borgiedude

borgiedude

So after posting this I kept experimenting and found a solution.

I changed the directory that my unity project was stored in out of my new Google Drive (G:\) drive, into another traditional HDD (E:\), and viola, Unity opened the project without issue.

Apparently from my experience, there is some issue with the new format of Google Drive for Windows and Unity.

Not sure why, just really happy my project is working again. Hope that this helps anyone else seeing issues since changing Google Drive versions.