Search Unity

Completely offline analytics?

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by magglemitch, Jul 8, 2017.

1. magglemitch

magglemitch

Hi there, I have a client that I built a 360 video player VR app for, and I am wanting to collect some user data and analytics from this. Simple things like how many times a certain video was played, how long etc.

I'm familiar with using Unity Analytics, and to a degree Google Analytics, but all of this is server based stuff. The PCs that this app is running off will have no access to the internet. I am wondering if anyone here has had any experience with creating some off-line analytics, as everything around is cloud based but unfortunately that is not an option for us.

I've heard data serialization or something might work but have no idea how to do that. Anybody got any ideas?

2. Benvictus

Benvictus

@mitchtbh

I have not tried this myself, however, there is a way that I feel it may work.

So if we want to send Analytics data then we need access to the Internet to send the data. We could check the connection and when we have access to the net, send the data or we can try storing the data in the program and extracting the data at a later date.

Making the right offline system for you all depends on the volume of data you plan to gather. We would need to consider Unity Analytic's data restrictions when doing this.

I hope this helps, if only a little. Please be sure to ask any further questions if you need more guidance.

3. ap-unity

ap-unity

Unity Technologies

4. TomWim

TomWim

Hi @BenStoneman, Hi @ap-unity
    I have a similar case as mitchtbh. I have a Gear VR Application that is running for three months at a customer without any internet access. I understand that Unity Analytics data is stored in a cache while offline but I wonder how long the data will be stored and if there are any risks of storing the data offline for such a long time.
    After the 3 months I get the devices back and would then connect them to the internet to retrieve all data.
    Hope you can help me out!
    Greetings

5. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

I don't believe we explicitly remove the cache after a time limit, so this should work.