Search Unity

Completely disable screen brightness

Discussion in 'VR' started by nl2656, Jun 4, 2019.

1. nl2656

nl2656

Hello,

I am attempting to utilize the HTC vive with Tobii eyetracking enabled on unityvr for medical/psychological research. To do so, one task requires me to, on a queue, turn off all lights and immerse the patient in total darkness, while the eye tracker continues to operate and collect data. The lights then need to be turned back on, on a timer. Is it possible to completely black out the display as to achieve and complete total darkness, while leaving the vr headset on (and accordingly the eye tracking enabled)?

2. Antypodish

Antypodish

Maybe setting black background?
    But depend on screen technology, there may be slight light escape, even screen background is black. So only option my be, turning off displays.

I am not
    sure however, if that is possible programmatically?

3. nl2656

nl2656

I have been looking for a way to do so programmatically, but I have been unable to find any way to do it : (

4. TheRedMezek

TheRedMezek

I agree with Antypodish, probably the only way to do it is to actually turn off the displays, which I don't think Unity has functionality for. You'd have to find a way to access the device itself and see if it's possible to turn off the displays. The trouble with just blacking out the screen is that the pixels are still on, and even though their color is technically black they still emit a tiny but visible bit of light.

You may also want to look into exactly how the eye tracking works. If the eye tracking camera requires being able to actually see your eyes, and you disable all light inside the headset, you won't be able to do eye tracking anyways. If the eye tracking camera uses infrared or something and it's providing its own invisible light then it'll work fine. You should find out, it could save you the trouble of figuring out how to directly access the device through code.

Antypodish likes this.