Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Complaint from webGL platform build process

Discussion in 'Web' started by frodoe7, Feb 12, 2016.

1. frodoe7

frodoe7

Hello
    I have a very bad experience with this platform within building for it , all related to the performance
    build time :
    it takes more than quarter hour to finish the build process !!
    performance : it kills the device hardware , the RAM usage sometimes reaches to 98%, also the CPU usage always reaches to 100% - it force my device to stop and freeze for a long time
    however my device capabilities is not bad (4 GB Ram , I core 5 CPU with 2.4 GHz)
    file size after build : about 10 MB

comparing to web player build process
    time : less than 1 minute
    performance : very normal
    file size after build : about 3 MB

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  2. Marco-Trivellato

Marco-Trivellato

Unity Technologies

build times are expected to be longer than other platforms. In 5.4 there will be improvements in this area.

the browser does take some time to load the page. Though it should be faster the second time, especially on Firefox.
    - how much is "long time" ?
    - is there any difference between browsers (chrome vs firefox vs edge...)?

are you on 5.3 ?

Although they both target the web, unity webplayer and webgl are very different platforms: one basically runs native code in the browser, the other runs javascript. So to a certain extent they will never be the same.
    The webplayer is also very mature, whereas webgl has been available in Unity for less than a year and it just came out of its Preview phase.

Having said that, since webgl will be the only option to generate web content in Unity, we are working hard to improve the user experience and bridge, as much as we can, the gap with the webplayer. In addition, browser vendors are working on improvements that will improve both performance and build size: shared array buffers, SIMD, WebAssembly, etc...

diekeure likes this.
  3. frodoe7

frodoe7

Hello , you got it wrong
    I mean the performance during "the build process" not during "running the game"
    Yes , I am in Unity 5.3 (the latest version I think)

4. Marco-Trivellato

Marco-Trivellato

Unity Technologies

never mind what i wrote then, apart from the fact that we are working on build times improvements, some of them shipping in 5.4

frodoe7 likes this.