Search Unity

Compiling Errors: Using Unity 17.04.28 on Ubuntu 19.10.

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Ankean, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Ankean

Ankean

Hi all,

I'm trying to use Unity3D to convert a 3D character I've created into an avatar for VR chat. This is done using the VRchat SDK. My real goal is to build VR environments to hang out in with my (quarantined) friends.

Due to mainly economic reasons (by this point in time, anyway), I am using an Ubuntu-based system.

Unity seems to work great on Ubuntu. I am able to upload my avatar and all his supporting files into the program and everything behaves exactly as it should, right up until I try to run a script, i.e. VRchat SDK's Avatar Descriptor. Unity gives me 124 'compiling error' messages when I attempt to upload the character.

The process I am following is outlined in this Youtube video.
    I have followed all the proper procedures, at least as far as I can tell - though it is hard to know, since I cannot find any examples anywhere of anyone even talking about doing this kind of thing from a Linux computer, let alone instructions on what I need to be doing differently.

I'm not 100% certain, but I think the issue stems from some compatibility issue with Ubuntu and C#.

I do have 'Mono Develop (built-in)' selected under 'External Tools' in the Preferences menu, although when I click on 'Download MonoDevelop Installer', it opens an error page in a new tab on my browser that starts with:

"This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. The document tree is shown below." I would not think 'Download MonoDevelop Installer' would have any usefulness to me anyway, as MonoDevelop is 'built-in', according to that first button.

So is there some way to get those pesky not-quite-java C# scripts running on my open source Linux machine?

I really really want to make this work, but I really don't want to have to drop ~$140 for a software download with my job in limbo as it is right now.

Maybe it's not C# at all. Maybe there's a checkbox I need to untick somewhere...