Search Unity

Compiler warnings from packages show in console

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by Baste, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Baste

Baste

I get compiler warnings from downloaded, official packages. Unity 2018.1.6f1, Packman UI 1.9.3. There's a bunch of issues here:

- I shouldn't get compiler warnings from packages. Since I can't touch packages, that's in no way helpful to me.
    - Unity shouldn't ship packages (even in preview) with compiler warnings
    - Some of the code in question is Unit Tests for ECS. There's no reason for the unit tests to be included in the packages.

Here's the relevant list of compile warnings I get:

Hunter_Bobeck and tosiabunio like this.
  2. Gen_Scorpius

Gen_Scorpius

I hope this can be fixed soon since it is flooding my console with more than 100 for me useless "field not used" warnings from unity packages, mostly from HD render pipeline and shadergraph.

Btw, I use the prefab preview build and I have the 1.9.11 package manager version.

3. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

4. Baste

Baste

Case 1065930

5. okcompute_unity

okcompute_unity

Unity Technologies

6. Gen_Scorpius

Gen_Scorpius

After thinking about this issue a bit more, I come to the conclusion that the package system probably works like it was designed. The source code of installed packages for a given project behaves like any other scripts (or script assemblies) within the Asset folder would. The only difference being that their code is located in the package cache folder.

However, that system definitely pushes the responsibility to the package maintainers to provide clean code by either suppressing compiler warnings or fixing them.

I agree with Baste that even Preview versions should have a clean code (or have at least as few warnings as possible).

7. Baste

Baste

I found out that the unit tests being included is due to them being explicitly included in all of the ECS examples. If you remove the Testables entry from manifest.json, they're gone.