Search Unity

Compiler errors

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by gallanus28, Jun 26, 2019.

1. gallanus28

gallanus28

Hello everyone

I am new to the Unity, so if my question sounds silly please forgive me. I try to import some demo assets from the unity store (free ones) to make some training and learn but I receive compiler errors when I hit the play button. I do believe that the issue is with the editor (Unity 2019.1.8f1) but I cannot find any compatible enviroment asset with it from the store. Below I give you links of the error messages I get.

https://prnt.sc/o6tobv
    https://prnt.sc/o6tojd

Thank you for your time

2. Jamesmello

Jamesmello

I'm having the same problem problem but I'm running Unity 2019.3.0a6

My scenario is slightly different-
    I have a dual boot Mac/Windows machine. Unity runs the 3D Game Kit perfectly while booted in Mac / Mojave. However, when I boot into Windows 10 and use Unity with their 3D Game Kit, I get "Compiler Errors" - In result, Unity cannot run the 3D Game Kit in Play Mode. I have not edited the game kit at all. I just want to play through the example game, The Explorer, to see if the Windows side of my machine will operate the 3D Game Kit perfectly just like when I'm in Mojave while booted in MAC.

I restarted and Unity started to download "missing assets" but there are still remaining compiler errors and I still cannot run Play Mode with The 3D Game Kit. All I did was download it from the Unity store ...no editing.

I made a separate post. Looks like it's a bug. Hopefully there will be a fix soon?

3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

You image shows warnings, not errors. You've also disabled errors in your console. (Errors are always in Red color) After you enable them, they generally are self explanatory.

4. gallanus28

gallanus28

Still though , without changing or editing something shouldn't the environments from the asset store work without errors? I did try all of the free ones (which have demo scenes) and none of them works . Maybe there is an issue with Unity, a bug or something ?

5. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

If you aren't telling us what the specific errors are, then no one has any idea what the problem is. Would you expect someone to tell you exactly how to fix your car, but all you've said about the problem is that it won't start? That's ridiculous.

For all we know you downloaded an asset built for Unity 5.6, and it uses a Unity API removed in 2019.1. Or the asset you downloaded depends on another asset you haven't imported yet, etc, etc.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
  6. Jamesmello

Jamesmello

Same here. Referring to my above post-

I'm running Unity 2019.3.0a6.
    All I did was download the 3D Game Kit from the Asset store, no editing. I wanted to play through a level while booted in PC Windows 10 = couldn't do it because of compiler errors. The errors are asking if I'm missing a "using directive or assembly reference." I shouldn't be missing anything because I simply downloaded Unity's Asset, 3D Game Kit, from their store.

When I'm booted up in Mac Mojave (I can dual boot, so same cpu and gpu), Unity and the 3D Game Kit work fine = no errors and Play Mode works.

When I look in the hierarchy tab/window it looks like a bunch of stuff didn't download to complete the 3D Game Kit.

Here's a pic: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xgb630fj314kojp/CompilerErrors.png?dl=0

7. Jamesmello

Jamesmello

...I just restarted my computer again and loaded up Unity, second time I've done this. Now the compiler errors went from 16 to 13. When I first tried this it was 19. Maybe I'll just keep rebooting my machine 7 times or so until the errors go away??? Ha! This is silly.

8. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Don't learn Unity on an early alpha build which won't be ready for release for another 6 months. The latest/greatest version of Unity which just came out this week is 2019.1.8.

Otherwise, everyone experimenting with the 2019.3 alpha is over here:
    https://forum.unity.com/forums/2019-3-alpha.337/

9. Jamesmello

Jamesmello

I'm a newbie to Unity.
    But I got the 3D Game Kit running in play mode finally. I'm sure running a final version of Unity helped - so thanks again. But here's what finally got it going:

1) Edit→Project Settings→Player→Configuration→Scripting Runtime Version→.NET 4.x Equivalent
    2) Window→Package Manager→Update all packages that have a download icon next to them.
    3) Window→Package Manager→Install Post Processing
    4)Window→Package Manager→Install Cinemachine
    5) Restart my computer and load up Unity

Compiler errors gone. Play mode works and I was able to play through the levels of the 3D Game Kit.
    Newbie note: Keep an eye on the package manager to update everything necessary and always use a final version, not an alpha or beta.