Search Unity

Compile times on a new PC are much higher

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Doghelmer, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Doghelmer

Doghelmer

I recently purchased a new (and much more powerful) PC. I installed the same version of Unity that I was previously using, and loaded up the same (very large) project with the same exact files that I've been working with.

Everything is working properly except for one thing: The compile times that I'm getting while working in the editor are much higher than before. This seems to not happen 100% of the time (in fact there have been instances where it's been much lower than before), but I can't find any rhyme or reason as to what causes it. As I mentioned, the computer itself is more powerful: More RAM, better CPU, faster SSD.

While it appears on the surface as if I got everything transferred over to the new PC properly, I feel like there's some setting in Unity that I may have missed or some random settings folder somewhere on the hard disk that didn't get transferred.

Any ideas as to what the issue could be?

2. Doghelmer

Doghelmer

So, weirdly, the issue ONLY seems to be occurring when I have the project's files on my SSD drive. When I run the project from my secondary hard disk, the build times are fine.

Curious if this could be an issue with the SSD Drive, or if anyone else has had this experience?

Edit: After some more troubleshooting, it seems the issue is isolated to when I have the game in the My Documents folder. I'm thinking this may have something to do with OneDrive or something like that.

Edit 2: Even after getting rid of OneDrive and restarting, the same issue still occurs with any copy of the project I add to the My Documents folder. But it works fine from other folders on the same drive. Baffling.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020