Search Unity

Companion App For RPG

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Gus60, May 17, 2017.

1. Gus60

Gus60

Hello forums,
    I hope this is the right place for this but I have been contemplating an idea for a project I have been working on.
    in my game the players will be able to capture semi intelligent animals to help them in there journeys, the question would be is it practical/possible to make a companion mobile app that could load the pet data from your account and allow you to play as the pet and collect loot for your character while he was logged out by completing a series of mini games. I hope that is a clear enough thought process to follow any suggestions/advice would be appreciated.

2. Teila

Teila

I am sure anything is possible if you can code it. I would try the Getting Started or the Scripting sections of the forums. Design would be more about discussing your idea as a design feature, which could be interesting, but would not include coding.

3. neoshaman

neoshaman

I suggest you to look at chao garden :D on dreamcast

But this should be possible no problem I think, it's client server thingy no? Same account different games on different platform.

4. Gus60

Gus60

Thanks for the imput from both of you... I have play in the chao garden in my childhood lol. Ill poke around the scripting forums and see if anyone has attempted what i propose. Thanks again

5. Teila

Teila

If you ask, you might find someone who has some ideas on the scripting forum. :) It is a very nice community.

6. samnarain

samnarain

Yes, practical, possible and relatively easy. You manage the "save games" on a server instance and set up the locking mechanisms. You treat the standalone game and the mobile game both as clients to that server instance. The biggest challenge will be dealing with horrible people who will try to cheat. But that applies to all multiplayer games.

The easiest way to achieve this is with a NodeJS server. You can use Unity's WebRequest or old fashioned WWW to sync the data. You could use the HLAPI too, but that would be overkill in this scenario. You probably want to use AssetBundles to share data between the games, as you run around as the pet, and will use a lot of the same assets - yet do not want to ship your "fat" logic to the mobile (or the WebGL) client. Authentication will be a web technology, but with a NodeJS platform like Meteor, this is setup in minutes. Good luck, and love the idea!