Search Unity

Commodore OS Vision

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mr. wrong, Feb 6, 2012.

1. mr. wrong

mr. wrong

Anyone tried the Commodore OS Vision beta yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chvls6HYvmQ

I'm not a linux guy but I did enjoy playing with it. It feels new and nostalgic at the same time. C64 Emulators or C64 games are not included in the open beta, probably due to legal reasons. The audiovisual effects and the blue color of the os could get tiresome eventually, but overall it seems like a nice os for a secondary computer.

They also mentioned an upcoming "appstore" on the Commodore USA website, but I haven't found any details about it yet. It sounds a bit strange on a Linux platform.

2. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Hmm coolish but nothing to with unity.... linux isent even supported by unity.

3. dart

dart

4. taumel

taumel

Honestly, you don't want to enter anything on those C64 keyboards these days - well, beside of triggering some SpeedDos shortcuts - , even if they were far more superior that those of the ZX Spectrum. The only keyboards i could imagine still typing in text would be the ones from the A1000/3000 as those were normally quite okay. But also here, without a later version, a harddrive built in or some tricks to misuse RAM as a booting device it can be quite annoying using old technology if you want to use them beyond some Ahhs and Ohhs for a few minutes/hours.

Dunno, use the originals ones, enjoy the old spirit, get annoyed by their limitations but rebuilding some new computer like system doesn't look reasonable to me at all. And anything more modern like for instance a X1000 design is still/again delayed, so that it quite sucks a well.

I like my MacBook Pro, it looks nice, i can scratch myself at the edges, it survived many falls not only from desks, it has a nice lit keyboard. I don't want a C64 computer again. Now games with the focus, complexity and fun from the C64, this would be a completely different story though.