Search Unity

Commercial Webplayers - examples to prove their viability?

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Morgan, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Morgan

Morgan

I know Unity Webplayers have been in use commercially. Is there a list of examples anywhere? Even just a list without links? I seem to recall somebody posting something for Intel, and I think Shockwave.com has some Unity games? Any others?

I think I could convince many of my clients to switch from Flash features on their sites to Unity features, except they "fear what's new" and don't like to feel like they are guinea pigs. Any evidence I can throw their way might help.

I also notice the Gallery is all/mostly standalone examples. Commercially-deployed Webplayers would be a great addition to the Gallery.

(Though I realize not everyone who has done Unity work is in a position to have their projects used as general examples for the platform.)

In addition to examples, another useful piece of data would be the Webplayer's current installed base. Any data on that? How many people out there have the Webplayer already?

Thanks. I figure this info would help various people as much is it would me!

2. drJones

drJones

i can't answer for sure but i imagine you'll have alot of the things you mentioned soon (gallery commercial examples etc.) after top dog finishes. (i'm going to try get on a portal with a webplayer before too long as well)

as far as installed base, between the popular widgets on apple yoggy's shockwave entry probably into the millions by now, but again OTEE the widget guys would have to verify this ; )

3. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

Yes, web player distribution is in the millions.

Another major point is that the player is small, auto-installs, and is distributed from 40 locations worldwide (so everyone gets it from a local server, and thus it's a very fast download).

With Unity 2.0, there's no need to restart any browser after installation, and DirectX support means that it'll not just work on 90% of all computers, but close to 100%.

d.

4. Morgan

Morgan

No restart? Wow!

I'll keep those details on hand to help convince site owners to go with Unity. Thanks for the info. (How many millions are we talking, if you're in a position to say?)