Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Command line builds ignoring -projectPath

Discussion in '2018.1 Beta' started by Nabren, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Nabren

Nabren

Building through command line has worked great all the way through Unity 5.6. On Unity 2018.1.0b13 it seems like projectPath is ignored and it always opens the last opened project on that machine instead.

Example command:

/Applications/Unity/Unity.app/Contents/MacOS/Unity -quit -batchmode -executeMethod <build method> -buildTarget <build target> -projectPath <project path> -logFile <log file> -nographics

Is there any reason this would be failing and should we be doing something different? Load Previous Project on Startup is also turned off in Unity preferences.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  2. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

We use this very heavily internally, so it's unlikely to be broken. Most likely reason is that your project is not actually present at the path you are providing. What does the start of the log file say?

3. Nabren

Nabren

The directory definitely exists. We use it before invoking Unity and I double checked on disk just in case. I will try to give as much of the log as I can but unfortunately the path contains code names and other sensitive data, so hopefully not too much is omitted:

[Package Manager] Server::Start -- Port 61938 was selected
    Launching external process: /Applications/Unity-2018.1.0b13/Unity.app/Contents/Resources/PackageManager/Server/upm-macos

LICENSE SYSTEM [2018423 13:58:36] Next license update check is after 2017-07-18T22:46:46

COMMAND LINE ARGUMENTS:
    /Applications/Unity-2018.1.0b13/Unity.app/Contents/MacOS/Unity
    -quit
    -batchmode
    -executeMethod
    <omitted>
    -buildTarget
    osx
    -projectPath
    /Users/<user>/workspace/<omitted>/desktop/branch/<omitted>
    -logFile
    /Users/<user>/<omitted>/osx-unity-build.log
    -nographics
    /Users/<user>/New Unity Project
    Loading GUID <-> Path mappings...0.000055 seconds
    Loading Asset Database...0.016462 seconds
    Audio: FMOD Profiler initialized on port 54900
    AssetDatabase consistency checks...Timestamps (432) and assets (403) maps out of sync - repairing...

In this example even though it was passed /Users/<user>/workspace/<omitted>/desktop/branch/<omitted> for projectPath it ends up loading and trying to build /Users/<user>/New Unity Project which fails because an empty project does not have code for our executeMethod.

I should have clarified as well but we only see this on Mac. Windows is working just fine. Unity is running under the same user that owns the files. While I can't rule out a permission issue the same path builds under Unity 5.6 just fine if we simply change the branch that specifies what version of Unity to use. The files are checked out into the exact same path.

EDIT: I actually was unable to reproduce this locally, only on the remote build server. I will keep trying to narrow down the variables and update with what the cause ended up being.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  4. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

This behaviour looks quite similar to a bug we saw recently which involved a license issue. Do you have a fully activated license on your remote build server?

5. Nabren

Nabren

That was it! Somehow the build server had a weird license file. I was able to delete /Libary/Application Support/Unity/Unity_lic.ulf and then open Unity 2018.1.0b13 again and it correctly imported the valid license file from /Libary/Application Support/Unity/Unity_v5.x.ulf.

Appreciate your help.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
    superpig likes this.