Search Unity

Question command line argument -executeMethod

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by RoughSpaghetti3211, Apr 4, 2022.

1. RoughSpaghetti3211

RoughSpaghetti3211

Quick question I was hoping someone can help me with this. I want to open Unity from the command prompt using the -executeMethod and executing a static method inside a custom package in my project, Is this possible?

C:\"Program Files"\Unity\Hub\Editor\2020.3.30f1\Editor\Unity.exe -projectPath <ProjectPath> -executeMethod <MyMethodFromMyCustomPackage>

works fine when my method is in asset/scripts folder

Thanks in advance

2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

I would think it would... why don't you tell us when you find out!! :)

I'm guessing that it will open Unity and compile everything, import everything, etc, then look at that string in whatever it considers the "list of all available assemblies" and go looking to launch that method.

It would hinge upon whether code in packages gets put into assemblies that Unity might ransack for that executeMethod argument resolution.

3. RoughSpaghetti3211

RoughSpaghetti3211

Sorry I should have added I that I did test it and it could not find the method. This was more of a sanity question because this should work, right ?

4. RoughSpaghetti3211

RoughSpaghetti3211

The script is in the editor assembled so I’m really confused why it not finding it

5. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

And I assume that's where the not-in-a-package-contained test method is, the one that works?

Try this: from the not-in-a-package method that you CAN call, call the package-located method that doesn't seem to work directly.

Might be interesting... I'm ready with my fire extinguisher.

6. RoughSpaghetti3211

RoughSpaghetti3211

Haha, ok so it started working. I made and editor folder in the package and put my script in there. Thanks for talking it through with me.

Kurt-Dekker likes this.