Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Command Cmd<Function> called on server... But it's a client? Using NetworkTransport only.

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by FuzzyQuills, Oct 20, 2017.

1. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Hello all, I am implementing my own networking solution using just the NetworkTransport, and so far have transform syncing, spawn and destroy all working.

However, I've run into a small, perhaps big, problem; RPC calls. Short of implementing my own, I googled around to see if some HLAPI functions would work, and apparently, someone did get [Command] and [ClientRpc] working, so I had a shot at writing my player script to use them.

I tried this though, and although I'm sure my client binary is setup as a client socket, calling a command spits out that error message. Is there some additional setup needed to tell unity it's a client, not a server? (I also tried ClientRpc by itself, and as expected, it reported calling clientRpc on a client)

And inb4 someone states "use HLAPI," I made my own layer as I found the HLAPI a pain to work with. (the exception being Command/ClientRpc calls, once I figured out how those worked, they're easy to use) I simply need this last part solved, and I can finally start on getting my game mechanics synced.

2. mischa2k

mischa2k

If you only use NetworkTransport then you probably shouldn't use the HLAPI stuff like Commands.
    HLAPI checks if the server is running before executing the Command code - this is just a guess but probably via NetworkServer.active or something like that. If you don't use NetworkServer (from HLAPI) then it won't be active.

So you should probably create your own Commands, like [MyCommand]

3. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Welp... in that case, I'll probably find a way of extending my existing serialization layer for RPCs then. Thank you.