Search Unity

Command Buffers on Lights

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by boundingbox, Dec 13, 2015.

1. boundingbox

boundingbox

Does anyone know how to use command buffers with lights, as in draw more meshes to the lights shadow map?

I have a command buffer for the camera drawing models into the deferred GBuffers which is working properly for the most part but I don't know how to get them to cast shadows. I see that lights support command buffers but there is no documentation outlining how to use them. Even regular command buffers have a sad amount of documentation.

My original plan was to use Graphics.DrawMesh but I see that was deprecated at some point.

Code (csharp):
    2. // Draws new meshes to the GBuffers
    3. RenderTargetIdentifier[] rti = {BuiltinRenderTextureType.GBuffer0, BuiltinRenderTextureType.GBuffer1, BuiltinRenderTextureType.GBuffer2, BuiltinRenderTextureType.GBuffer3, BuiltinRenderTextureType.Depth};
    4. commandBuffer.SetRenderTarget (rti, BuiltinRenderTextureType.CameraTarget);
    6. // What should a light's render targets be?????
    7. commandBufferLight.SetRenderTarget (BuiltinRenderTextureType.Depth, BuiltinRenderTextureType.CameraTarget);

2. joelv

joelv

Unity Technologies

Hi,

If you don't set any render target the command buffer will render using the current active render target, which is the shadow map in the case of a light command buffer.

For rendering a mesh you should use DrawMesh on the command buffer.

Hope this helps.

3. boundingbox

boundingbox

Thanks, this worked for spot lights but not for point lights or directional lights. I really only need it on the closest cascade of the directional light. There aren't any LightEvents to separate cascades or faces of a cube shadow map. Any thoughts?

4. LemonMontage420

LemonMontage420

OP might not see this reply, but for anyone in the future who's got the same question, you can separate which shadowmap pass gets effected in the command buffer like so: https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Rendering.ShadowMapPass.html