Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

command and conquer RTS type game, AI player. doable?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by dersco, Oct 19, 2022.

1. dersco

dersco

hi, I'm new to unity and just want to know if it's possible to make a C&C styled game with unity and if so where is best to start such as with making AI players to face with different difficulties, where I would make the art as I want to first of make it 2D a little easier on the art side of things and do it for the phone/pc so not a fullHD game more like the old school feel redalert 1 and 2 or more arcade like. I have the basic coding down from unit 1 but would like to know how I'd make it so you click the building and then build units from it that you and the AI will control. I'm still going through unit 2 and see unit 4 has spawning tutorials but not in the same way, as they just spawn after you start whereas you would be deciding when they spawn by clicking the unit icon, I'm sure it'll give of an idea on how to do it but won't tell you how to do it, so even if someone could give me somewhere to go after learning the basics to spawning. any help like pointers and places to start/look at would be greatly appreciated.

2. Homicide

Homicide

OFC its possible. And in fact, i believe theres a (fairly old at this point) well known TANKS game / demo that was 'sort of' rts like in nature. Maybe google that. But yes, you can build nearly anything your mind can imagine. Provided you have the skills. GL

Last edited: Oct 19, 2022
    dersco and JoeStrout like this.
  3. Martin_H

Martin_H

I think there are some videos on youtube how they did things for command and conquer tiberian sun

But I implore you, pick an easier genre for your first project!

dersco likes this.
  4. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

if you can make chess you'll have a lot of the basic skills needed for an rts. Easy to find lots of high quality tutorials teach you how to make chess. YOu might find bits and pieces of stuff for RTS games here and there. But really you just need strong grasp of basics of programming, then it's just your own creativity what you can do with the basic skills.

chess will probably be too complicated for day one beginner though. Maybe better to start with checkers. But even that may be too complicated for day one beginner, so maybe start with pong. Most important thing is to finish what you start.

dersco likes this.
  5. dersco

dersco

I do understand I've gone for something complicated to start with but it's my main love for gaming, something I've played for 15+ years. I'm sick of how bare and lazy these games have gotten and want to make it the way it's meant to be made. I was thinking of doing a copy of swarm, it's a RTS bug game much simpler with buildings and commands as you capture and then build 1 of 3 units and then command. graphics are very simple but not lazy also, so I'm settling for the middle ground. I will still go through all of unity first and then after its the swarm game I have found someone who has shared a lot of code for the basics of putting buildings down and putting recourses in the game, so it's become a lot less intimidating. hopefully in a year or two I can have a basic, simple, yet fun RTS game for the phone. thankyou of the YouTube videos they give some insight on the more advance versions of C&C. can't imagen what it was like to programme red alert 3 as that's hands down the best of all time.

6. dersco

dersco

that's actually a rather good place to start and like you say grow more from there and expand. I'm such an impatient person and if I'm not interested i tend to not Finnish with anything. but I do like chess so that could help. I did find a guy who's shared a lot of code for the basics so maybe I'll do a chess like game and see what ideas I have after with the RTS info from this guy. thankyou.

7. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

i am doing 99% of my programming with visual scripting but i did a chess game in java tutorial and it was a big help. Just because i didnt have any basic programming education, so just seeing a lot of ways to do stuff like using loops, arrays, simple and some advanced math logic in action was really helpful. And since it all goes towards a game that we already know, it's easy to understand the goal that is being worked towards.

Whereas if you follow a tutorial for somebodies' arbitrary idea, sometimes it is difficult to understand where they are going with things until you see the final result. Then you have to rewatch because you were just confused the whole time.

Martin_H likes this.
  8. dersco

dersco

yeah, I totally see where you're coming from as I did watch a lot of what he was doing and from having basic knowledge and its being his code there was some things that didn't make sense to why he was doing it but being new I have to expect that but yes i also worry about getting to the end and being like yeah, I didn't want it like this. GitHub - electronicarts/CnC_Remastered_Collection i found this from the helpful YouTube vids and it has the code C&C actually used with some slight modifications for red alert and tiberium wars with scripts, no artwork whatsoever purely code and I believe the basic code for a functioning AI but again looking at it now with what I know that's got me scratching my head. i got a pretty good starting point and now a simple game I can try make, nice to be able to see all this so I know I got something to work off when I'm savvy enough to start up a RTS. just got to go through the units for now.