Search Unity

[RELEASED] UniStorm 5.2 - AAA Volumetric Clouds, URP Support, Weather, Sky, Atmospheric Fog, & More!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by BHS, Jan 27, 2012.

1. BHS

BHS

Thanks for the bug report. I will figure out what's going on and provide you a solution when I find one.

Hey there!

I cannot give a ETA as I have a lot planned for the new version. I will be doing beta tests for users who are current UniStorm customers. This will give users access to the new version of UniStorm early. I will provide more information on this sometime early February.

2. BHS

BHS

Of course! This gives very dark nights. If you'd like nights even darker, you can make the moon color darker.

Just go to Import/Export Settings, attach the Dark Nights - UniStorm txt file, check Import Settings and Import Colors, and click import.

DarkNights.png

Attached Files:

3. SSL7

SSL7

Ok but volumetric clouds was to be released on december, and us customers we need to know when we can have new features. We have spoken on e-mails on octomber too and you said november will feature a new version with volumetric clouds. Please make an update soon with the current updates and add more later.

4. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Seems like things have really changed quite a bit. This text file you import, along with this specific one ("Dark nights"), seems useful.

I've been thinking about the plant growth system, the water table, all of that. Previously it was set up to just have a generic water table for the entire world, which Unistorm adds to periodically.

However, the more I think about it, the more I realize that the appropriate way to do this is to separate it out by location. Similarly to how there are climate zones now, it would be best (or at least, better) to have a water table for each terrain.

Now, in the future a feature might be added to allow a bit of interaction between those water tables over time. This seems like a realistic way to approximate nature. However, the key thing is to make it related to terrain.

So I'm thinking the way to do this is to get a script to put on the terrain itself to define the water table stuff. I don't recall offhand how we did it before, though I took a quick look at this post and my old posts as well.

Anyway. Put a script on the terrain to give it a water table. Use that for any child "plants" that grow there.

@BHS
    However, the key thing is this: that terrain needs to get the climate it experiences, or put another way it needs to be able to find the climate zone it's a part of. You have any tips for how that might work?

5. MrIconic

MrIconic

Has anyone used Unistorm with Lighting Box 2.

If I disable the unistorm C basic prefab the flickering I'm experiencing goes away. Otherwise, when I start moving around there's a flickering of light. Almost looks like two things competing for the camera maybe? Though I don't know enough about the two assets currently, unfortunately, to pinpoint what it could potentially be.

It was actually a bug caused in Lighting Box 2 (maybe by them interacting?). Every time a gameobject was created or destroyed Lighting Box 2 would change the sun settings even when disabled. Changing Lighting Box 2's target sun to a fake disabled sun stopped this.

So it may not have been Unistorm but typing it here in case someone else has that bug.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  6. Candac59

Candac59

Super ! Thanks you :)

7. Acdrybones

Acdrybones

Is there support for spherical maps?

8. creat327

creat327

anyone has given this a try on 2018.1betas ?

9. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Hi @BHS Is there any plans to switch over to postprocessing V2 as all my pipeline only requires v1 for Unistorm at the moment and it means having both in my game atm.

10. Mohamed-Anis

Mohamed-Anis

Hi @BHS thank you for creating this asset! I'm thinking of controlling the time from an external source (e.g. like simcity, a function of how fast the sim is run). I checked "Time Options" under http://unistorm-weather-system.wikia.com/wiki/Documentation. Couldn't find anything. Can I set UniStormWeatherSystem_C.timeStopped to true and manually assign the time? Will the rest of the system update? Main concern is timing not matching properly if UniStorm maintains its own time which doesn't sync with the simulation internal timer. Thoughts?

Thanks!

11. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Hi @BHS Is there anywhere in the example scripts the count the days/minutes etc survived?

12. BHS

BHS

I haven't tested this so I can say for sure.

Yes, there are plans to do switch over to the Post Processing Stack. UniStorm will also be getting a nice update with version 3.0.

I believe you can set the time directly by using the SetTime(int Hour, int Minute) function on the UniStorm script.

So, for setting custom time, you would use something like done below and UniStorm will follow it. This example uses the current real-time time using DateTime.

Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    4. using System;
    6. public class OverrideTime : MonoBehaviour {
    8.     UniStormWeatherSystem_C UniStormSystem;
    10.     void Start () {
    11.         UniStormSystem = FindObjectOfType<UniStormWeatherSystem_C>();
    12.     }
    14.     void Update () {
    15.         UniStormSystem.SetTime(DateTime.Now.Hour,DateTime.Now.Minute);
    16.     }
    17. }

Hey there!

You can do this with a UniStorm Daily Event.

Create a new script using the code below and name it DayTracker. Once you have done this, assign it to an Empty GameObject and name this gameobject Day Tracker Game Object.

Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections;
    2. using System.Collections.Generic;
    3. using UnityEngine;
    5. public class DayTracker : MonoBehaviour {
    7.     public int TotalDaysSurvived;
    9.     public void DayTrackerFunction ()
    10.     {
    11.         TotalDaysSurvived++;
    12.     }
    13. }
    Create a new Daily Event and assign the Day Tracker Game Object to the element like below.

upload_2018-3-13_20-44-33.png

To assign the code to the daily event, add the DayTracker function DayTrackerFunction to the event. This will allow it to be called once a day at midnight, however, the time can be changed to any time you'd like.

DayTracker.png

Mohamed-Anis and AndyNeoman like this.
  13. Baum_Joshua

Baum_Joshua

So I've been running into an issue with the clouds and hopefully someone could help. In previous versions of unistorm the clouds looked fuller and more realistic in their look but as of late mine are looking more blocky and almost pixelated. I've tried to steps on the "Solutions for Possible Issues" wiki with no success. See the image below: Any help on fixing this would be greatly appreciated. I am using UniStorm 2.4 Suimono 2.1(both have worked well together)
    unistorm_cloud_issue.png

14. AndyNeoman

AndyNeoman

Hi @BHS, Is there a way to control the suns direction? It always seems to set at 6pm no matter what settings I have for the sun light or moon light. I want late sunset around 10pm but If I do that the direction of the sunlight is shining up on my world giving plants and trees a strange glow at the base. I would expect that if I change the sunset time in the time section then the sun would set IE direction still be down until that time.

15. Ivy-SM

Ivy-SM

Seems like 2018.1 changed something related to particle systems and Unistorm is not working. Hopefully, the next version will be compatible with it.

16. BHS

BHS

If your texture quality is scaled lower than UniStorm's cloud quality will also be scaled. UniStorm will not be using these clouds much longer. I am currently working on a new procedural cloud shader with UniStorm 3.0. These clouds are much better looking and are fully procedural.

Hey there!

The Sun Revolution under the Sun Settings controls the the direction the sun rises and sets. There is currently no way to control the specific time the sun rises and sets.

I am currently working on UniStorm 3.0 and I plan on having it fully support 2018+.

Stormy102, Ivy-SM and Rotary-Heart like this.
  17. Rotary-Heart

Rotary-Heart

Can't wait on seeing how good version 3.0 will be

18. Ivy-SM

Ivy-SM

Great! Do you have any ETA on the new version?

19. wood333

wood333

Will Unistorm 3 support Unity 5.6.5? I may need to complete my current project on that version of Unity.

20. Stormy102

Stormy102

Hopefully UniStorm 3.0 will be more robust and less dependent on specifimage effects
    Isn't Unity 5.6 no longer supported by Unity?

wood333 likes this.
  21. wood333

wood333

Unity is not making patches anymore, so I believe that Unity 5.6.5f1 is the end of the line. Having said that, ALL of the third party assets I use, including Invector TPC, Emerald, Inventory Pro, Micro Splat, Vegetation Studio, to mention a few, still support Unity 5.6.5. So if Unistorm 3.0 does not, if will be the first asset in my project to leave 5.6 behind, and we will have to decide if we freeze our version or try to upgrade everything.

22. Stormy102

Stormy102

As far as I remember, I didn't have any issues upgrading from 5.6 to 2017.1, especially as it is pretty stable after being out for a year. Imho it's always worth being on a supported version just in case :)

wood333 likes this.
  23. wood333

wood333

I would agree with that. I used to upgrade regularly, and there were always a few surprises. If need be, I will back up my projects and do a test upgrade. My problem is I am a one person developer with part time assistance, so I tend to avoid anything that could result in additional issues. Stopping at 5.6.5 has been a peaceful stretch for my project. :cool:

Stormy102 likes this.
  24. BHS

BHS

I will be releasing more information about UniStorm 3.0 within the next couple of weeks. It is quite the improvement. :)

I do not have an ETA yet, but when UniStorm 3.0 is closer to release, I'll be able to give one.

UniStorm 3.0 is currently being developed in Unity 5.6.0 so Unity 5.6.5 should be fully supported by release, given that there is no reason to upgrade to Unity 2017.

UniStorm 3.0 will no longer use or be dependent on the old version of Unity's Image Effects.

Stormy102, wood333 and Rotary-Heart like this.
  25. Stormy102

Stormy102

Please tell me you are using some kind of source control :eek::confused:

26. gdp2

gdp2

Seeing some errors in Unity 2018.1 beta such as:

Assets/UniStorm (Desktop)/Scripts (Desktop)/Editor/UniStormEditor_C.cs(1505,29): error CS0143: The class `UnityEngine.AudioClip' has no constructors defined​

Any ideas on how to fix this? I'm on 2.4.1.

27. wood333

wood333

A couple years ago I was using source control, but I'm not using it right now. I read long forums on the pros and cons, and for my purposes full backups is acceptable and efficient. I evaluate new store assets and their upgrades in separate unity projects. When they work adequately together I merge them with portions of my own scenes. Once I finalize the store assets and combine them in one project that contains my unique content, I may reconsider source control.

Since this is a Unistorm forum, let me say that I almost always add Unistorm to any Unity project I create for my game or testing, and I have little difficulty running Invector TPC, Unistorm, MicroSplat, Inventory Pro, Navigator Bar, uNature, Ultimate Water, Terrain Former, Vegetation Studio, and now Emerald, together in one project. All using Unity 5.6.5.

I greatly look forward to the maturing of Unistorm events.

28. Stormy102

Stormy102

Fair enough. I would say that source control's advantages MASSIVELY outweigh the disadvantages, but at the end of the day, it's your project :) Having said that, we've always got a branch on the latest version of Unity just to see what the gotchas are - invaluable imo.

wood333 likes this.
  29. BHS

BHS

Hey everyone!

UniStorm is still going strong after officially being on the Asset Store for just over 6 years! With this post, I would like to talk about the status of UniStorm and my plans to move it forward to the much improved version 3.0.

UniStorm 3.0 is a complete rewrite from the ground up. This rewrite features tons of improvements and a new editor all while retaining the functionality that makes UniStorm great. There's too much to list here, but below, I will cover some of the main improvements. If there are any questions or feedback, please let me know.

Dynamic Modular Weather
    The biggest part of this update is the move to Dynamic Modular Weather! Now, modular weather might sound complicated, but in fact, it makes things much easier and far more customizable. Modular weather works by storing weather types in scriptable objects. These scriptable objects allow users to create custom weather types. Sand storms, auroras, hail storms, thunderstorms, etc are all possible. There are no limits to how many weather types UniStorm can use, and best of all, they allow users to use their own custom particle effects, settings, and sounds for each weather type.

The modular weather system is split up into two categories, Precipitation weather types and Non-Precipitation weather types. When weather is generated, and the conditions are appropriate such as temperature, UniStorm will generate weather accordingly. This allows the most customization while keeping the main system's code length to a minimum.

Procedural Clouds
    UniStorm 3.0 brings a brand new fully procedural cloud shader. The cloud shader allows no two clouds to look the same and allows clouds to be generated every time UniStorm is started so clouds are different every time. The cloud shader also allows for just one cloud dome to be used. All cloud densities can be achieved by increasing the cloud coverage. Users can created custom weather types by using the new modular weather types system. Best of all, proper mostly cloudy and cloudy weather types are possible. Clouds will also receive light attenuation (proper lighting and light direction).

Day.png
    Night.png

Procedural Lightning
    UniStorm’s Procedural Lightning system has been completely rewritten. Lightning bolts now look much more realistic, and best of all, they can actually strike the ground, objects, and even players! Users can define the odds lightning has to strike the ground and objects. When a lightning strike happens, users are able to customize what effect is created. A fire effect can even happen with the appropriate tag.

Global Weather Shading
    UniStorm 3.0's Global Weather Shading acts like Unity's Standard shader, but also includes options for global shading for both rain and snow. UniStorm will automatically detect said shader and accumulate weather shading when it's raining or snowing. Rain shading allows surfaces to get shinier, but only on surfaces no greater than 90 degrees. The inside of most surfaces will appear dry, such as inside buildings and roofs. The rain power that an object can receive can also be customized for each material. Snow, which will be demonstrated in another video, will function the same, but with accumulative snow shading. The snow texture, bump texture, and snow specular level can all be customized. When the weather is not raining or snowing, UniStorm will fade out the weather shading. Users can choose which weather types use weather shading by customizing their weather types. UniStorm supports an endless amount of user made weather types. Settings, conditions, and particle effects can all be customized for each weather type. Support for terrain shading with the top 3rd party plugins, such as CTS and MegaSplat, will come soon after UniStorm 3.0's release. However, the weather shading demonstrated with this video will be available with the release of UniStorm 3.0.

Redesigned Editor
    UniStorm's editor is now better than ever. It has been completely redesigned from the ground up. It's simple, yet offers far more customization and settings that the previous version of UniStorm. Users are no longer limited with UniStorm's list fields. These are now handled with Reorderable Lists offering greater control and no caps.

Celestial Settings (Editor).png

Editor Tooltips
    UniStorm's editor now has tooltips for every variable and setting allowing for quick and easy information all while keeping the editor simplistic.

Tooltips.gif

Customizable Moon Phase System
    UniStorm's customizable moon phase system allows users to build their own moon phases. There are no caps to the amount of moon phases UniStorm can use. Users can preview their moon phases , and set the starting moon phase, right from within the UniStorm editor. UniStorm automatically assigns all needed textures and updates the moon phase daily.

Moon Phase Editor.gif

Integrated AQUAS Support
    UniStorm 3.0 will fully support AQUAS when it is released. UniStorm will automatically detect the AQUAS asset and apply settings as needed. This allows UniStorm to seamlessly transition weather types while AQUAS is also controlling Unity's fog. UniStorm's clouds, sun, and stars can also be viewed from underwater. UniStorm will also work with AQUAS regardless of the time of day.

Improved Weather and Weather Transitions
    UniStorm 3.0 allows users to create an endless amount of weather types thatUniStorm will use. Each time the weather is changed, UniStorm will seamlessly transition it. Each weather type can be customized with its own cloud cover, particle effects, sun intensity, sound effects, wind amount, and various other settings allowing for truly unique and customizable weather.

No Longer Dependent on Legacy Image Effects
    UniStorm 3.0 will no longer be dependent on Unity's Legacy Image Effects. This often lead to compatibility and other issues. UniStorm fully supports Unity's Post Processing Stack and all of its effects.

Full VR Support
    UniStorm 3.0 fully supports VR devices and performs well. This has been tested and confirmed.

UniStorm Mobile
    UniStorm Mobile 3.0 will be available after the release of UniStorm 3.0 Desktop. UniStorm Desktop and Mobile will use the same system with the option to choose which type (Desktop or Mobile) to use right from with the editor.

ETA
    I'm hoping to release UniStorm 3.0 sometime towards end of June, but possibly later. UniStorm 3.0 will be a free update for all UniStorm users.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  30. Stormy102

Stormy102

Woo! This is great! But does it have realistic stars or are they still procedural generated?

31. creat327

creat327

for lighting and clouds... please make sure you also have the option to be consistent on multiplayer. My game is a flight simulator and I use the clouds to hide from enemies. If my clouds are different than the other player, i can't hide behind them.
    I guess it should also work on lighting. I don't use it right now but if you want to use it on multiplayer, they all should see the same lighting hit on the same spot.

tredpro and Stormy102 like this.
  32. BHS

BHS

I want to improve UniStorm's stars, but this will come after release. :)

Light is taken into account by UniStorm's current sun direction and light. If all players are seeing the same system then it should be globally the same for all players.

Stormy102 likes this.
  33. anunnaki2016

anunnaki2016

@BHS just amazing 3.0

BHS likes this.
  34. Bumblefuck

Bumblefuck

Will 3.0 support WAPI?

35. wood333

wood333

Like Stormy 102 above, I have always wanted to see a few constellations in the sky, including the Big Bear (dipper) and the Little Bear with the North star oriented to the north of my terrain. Having the North Star permits navigation at night without fake charts and mini-maps. The Milky Way would also be a nice touch so our players can see the ecliptic of the Milky Way galaxy.

Keep up the good work. Looking forward to 3.0

Stormy102 likes this.
  36. BHS

BHS

Yes, full WAPI, as well as CTS integration, will be added right after release.

I totally agree and thanks.

Bumblefuck and Stormy102 like this.
  37. BHS

BHS

Hey everyone!

Here’s a video demonstrating UniStorm 3.0’s new procedural lightning and lightning strikes. Lightning can randomly strike the ground, objects, and even players based on the Lightning Strike odds set within the UniStorm Editor. The lightning strike effect, lightning strike fire, sounds, and lightning strike flash can all be customized.

Adrad, Cybit, wwg and 2 others like this.
  38. Bumblefuck

Bumblefuck

Very nice, thank you

39. Cybit

Cybit

Wow, guess UniStorm goes back into my project and waits for the new update. Will UniStorm 3.0 support large terrain maps? Looks great, can't wait!

40. sadicus

sadicus

1. Will UniStorm 3 be compatible with Unity 5.6.5?
    2. Is there a way to make forked Lightning streaks across or in the clouds?

Stormy102 likes this.
  41. Candac59

Candac59

Oh yes ! i love that ! Thanks you very much for this great update. full suport post processing <3 procedural clouds <3

BHS likes this.
  42. 3dship

3dship

+1

43. wood333

wood333

I already asked about this, and the answer above is that Unistorm 3.0 is being developed in Unity 5.6.0, so it will support Unity 5.6.5.

3dship likes this.
  44. sadicus

sadicus

@wood333 thanks for pointing that out.

wood333 likes this.
  45. BHS

BHS

Thanks and you're welcome.

Yes, there will be an option in the UniStorm editor for large/infinite terrains.

1) Yes.
    2) Not at the release of 3.0, but I do plan to having more lightning features after release.

3dship likes this.
  46. txarly

txarly

hey,

Will the 3.0 have only one wind zone? now there are 2 objects depending the stormy or calm, and is more difficult to integrate with other packages, for example, Vegetation Studio, as only works with one wind zone,so i think will be better to have only one.

47. BHS

BHS

Hey there!

UniStorm 3.0 will have only 1 wind zone. This wind zone's intensity can be increased or decreased depending on the Weather Type. This allows you to have windy storms, calm storms, or even windy or calm non-precipitation days. I will be testing Vegetation Studio before UniStorm 3.0 is released to ensure it's compatible.

txarly likes this.
  48. BHS

BHS

49. tredpro

tredpro

Any news on the release of this update?

50. BHS

BHS

I'm working on getting it released as soon as possible. I'm hoping no more than 2 weeks from now, but possibly sooner.