Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Coming Soon] SpectraGI Advanced Real Time Global Illumination For Unity from Livenda

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by LIVENDA, May 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yep, we don't care about making enough money to cover the rent at the end of the month.. Or either being happy or successful!

We care about this thread being in the correct part of a forum! GRRRR!

2. TemplarGFX

TemplarGFX

Well I have no problem paying rent, and I am both happy and successful, so yes

3. ita333

ita333

Sorry, but this board is Work in Progress and then who starts an argument, you should share your progress with other users. Livenda instead has simply made an announcement, did not share the material, proposed video feature incidental, says a release between now and then spend months, etc ....
    This is simply advertising.
    I propose to close the thread, as it is not helping anyone, when he has finished his software will open a new one, we will discuss about what he did, but now we have nothing to discuss.

bac9-flcl likes this.
  4. Deleted User

Deleted User

Well then why do people care about where a thread gets posted and some potentially new shiny dynamic GI? In the grand scheme of things when making games, DGI isn't at the top of the food chain. More likely somewhere hanging at the bottom..

I'm an engine tech evangelist, but whilst DGI is a nice thing to have it's not going to make that much difference. Sure it saves time baking but no matter what they do unless Livenda have found a way to do real-time path-tracing with next to zero performance hit, which is impossible right this second then lightmapping is still far superior.

Looking at the brigade stuff, it's noisy as hell and required two titans to get rocking.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2014
  5. HappyCoder84

HappyCoder84

IBL with good SSDO is a good alternative, too :)
    Off-line quality GI with zero performance hit sounded a little too gimmicky in the first place.

6. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

Who cares what location the thread is in. I'm just impatient and want to see something in regaurds to GI to see if its real. I mean... lets face it... teh the products central focus is GI.. it is called spectra GI.... yet we have been shown everything except GI... Their ocean shader already turned into vaporware.... so im hoping this doesnt go down the same path.

7. angelodelvecchio

angelodelvecchio

Candela SSR is a great product, i am sure that SpectraGI will be great !, just give these guys some time. Go on livenda! impress them !

8. Licarell

Licarell

I'm thinking instead of an alien for their logo is should be the Man of La Mancha ...

SteveB likes this.
  9. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Seems like a classic IBL approach where you use blurred reflection as light.

10. SteveB

SteveB

Lol! *slow clap*

11. HappyCoder84

HappyCoder84

I`m not sure if this thread is still active,, but
    http://www.cnet.com/news/unity-one-gaming-development-platform-to-unite-them-all-up-for-sale/
    Unity is up for sale,,,
    With the appstore sales going down and more and more mobile devs realizing mobile game market is slowly withering away, this comes as no surprise to me.
    Most of the Unity-based mobile games are your typical mediocre puzzle games or side-scrollers.
    Only big boys with some serious dough who can afford to spend millions on marketing and advertising actually make a profit.
    Unity, as it sits, is too limited to be used for AAA titles,,
    As long as there is an abstract layers between the base code and the c# code and GC, it is very hard to make a PC game that performs well as the manual memory management is crucial when you are dealing with a huge amount of classes and data being created and tossed around.
    So, Unreal, hands down, wins in this area as you have direct access to the source code and memory management.

Some big-scale PC games made using Unity like Shadowrun or Wasteland2 have proven that it is unwise to attempt to make a high-quality PC game that is not turn-based.
    Even with the all the engineers they`ve hired, Wasteland2 still has an appalling performance.
    It is a turn-based RPG style game with focus on the story.

12. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

Bullshit. A little knowledge about how GC works goes a long way. You just have to be smart about it, and you can sidestep 80% of common performance issues.

Wasteland 2 has appalling performance because, frankly, they're doing something wrong. Otherwise, it wouldn't have appalling performance, because it's doing hardly anything.

I think you're just being a bit cynical. Not discounting Unreal as an engine, but if that's where you're more comfortable, by all means go right ahead and switch.

13. HappyCoder84

HappyCoder84

I know,,, what you mean PhobicGunner,,
    This is like C++ vs Javascript discussion,,
    Sidestepping performance issuses, though totally possilbe in many cases as you said, in some cases, are very hard to avoid depending on how complex your back-end system is.
    Maybe you are right as obviously you know what you are doing.
    But, you can`t deny the fact that there is no single PC game made in Unity to prove it`s possible.
    I`m not saying " Don`t ever use Unity".
    I`m saying,, Just don`t try to make a PC game(especially first-person shooters).
    Simple RPG style game such as Wasteland2 is totally possible, imo, llike you said.
    I don`t understand why Wasteland2, which was a big deal at the time of their announcement, is so laggy and slow.
    Unity is powerful enough to handle that sort of game, imo.

14. HappyCoder84

HappyCoder84

Anyway,,, the point is ,, what if Unity gets sold out?
    How will it affect the current pricing plans?
    Hopefully, it will lead to Unity with the up-to-date .Net GC instead of Mono, still available to devs at a decent price.

15. PhobicGunner

PhobicGunner

Well, all the article really said about "Unity being up for sale" is that UT talked with a handful of potential buyers (which, really, is nothing new). There's no deals in place and there haven't been any big announcements. I'd say hold off on speculating on ANYTHING until you actually know what's taking place.

As far as GC, here's the truth of the matter:

1.) We're stuck on old Mono, that much is true.
    2.) We also can't switch to .NET over Mono, because .NET is not portable (it's Microsoft only)
    3.) IL2CPP, which will be rolled out in the 5.x cycle, aims to change that. Basically the reason we're stuck on old Mono is because of licensing requirements with Mono on some platforms. By switching to IL2CPP on the problematic platforms, all the other platforms like standalone can be safely upgraded to the latest and greatest version of Mono.
    4.) IL2CPP also means it will be possible to deploy standalone games as fully native code, which can potentially be up to twice as fast as standard Mono in terms of scripting performance.

16. nasos_333

nasos_333

The problem is that anything can happen and we have no idea what. This is frightening to say the least.

It could be for the better, or it could render my 4+ years of work on my RPG useless. Would be great to know right away what to expect if something like that happens.

Any news on GI by the way ?

17. hyperrodik

hyperrodik

next year :D

18. HappyCoder84

HappyCoder84

I don`t think Spectra GI is going to be released anytime soon. :)

19. janpec

janpec

I dream of new Spectra GI video... let it be true:D

20. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

Oh damn that is worrysome. I mean unreal already has a better price and better graphics. I was just so comfortable with unity. That is scary to say the least.

21. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

Something tells me Spectra GI is dead just like their ocean shader. The ocean shader said coming soon as well and its been an entire year for that one.

22. HappyCoder84

HappyCoder84

Next time you sell something, whether it be a game or an app, make sure to put "coming soon" before every title.
    That`ll keep people exited for a while for sure.

This is the ultimate over-hyped marketing at its finest.

Stormbreaker likes this.
  23. HappyCoder84

HappyCoder84

Btw, If you are comfortable with Unity, there is no reason you can`t use Unreal.
    As far as simple mobile projects go, Unreal`s blueprint would suffice, which is easier to learn than C# for beginners.
    You wouldn`t have to do c++ coding if your game dosen`t involve complex back-end system.
    Niagara, which is artist-friendly FX editor, is also coming along.
    What I like about it is,, whatever you can do in C++ you can do it in blueprint.
    For a simple side-scroller, I didn`t have to do anything in C++.

But as the complexity of your game system goes up, any kind of visual programming tool comes short no matter how good it is.

24. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

I'll pm you.

25. IanStanbridge

IanStanbridge

IL2CPP is still a better long term programming solution than C++ because of multithreading. The issue is that C++ produces unmanaged code so a compiler can not rely on it being thread safe and as a result can not optimise it for multithreading. Managed code has a slight performance penalty in a single thread over unmanaged code but with the speed of cpu's having stalled in the last couple of years I think multithreading is the priority. Also a lot of the console manufacturers want managed code because unmanaged code is more risky to run on consoles as they don't sandbox processes like PC's do.

IL2CPP is a clever idea because it is basically taking a managed language and getting a compiler to convert it to an unmanaged language but because it was the compiler that did the converting it can still optimise it for the multithreading. In theory IL2CPP will be faster or the same speed than native c++ in most cases in the same way that most people write in c++ rather than assembler at present because the compiler is better at producing assembler code than they are.

Also you can actually use C++ in Unity today by compiling native dll's it's just that you then can not use unity to automatically convert it to a different platform. Unity itself is written in C++ it's just the scripting that is usually done using mono at present so the code can be automatically converted.

With a unity 5 license now being included with all of the console dev kits its pretty clear that they would prefer games being made in unity because they don't want to have to spend as long testing each game they receive to check it won't break a console.

Of course unity 5 isn't out yet so only time will tell if they can deliver on that roadmap. Comparing Unreal and Unity's roadmaps though it looks like Unity 5 is trying to target the preformance levels of the consoles while to get the most out of unreal it looks like you will need even more power. I get the impression that EPIC overestimated what the specs of the consoles would be and unity is now trying to position itself as the default console engine in the same way that Unreal 3 was for PS3 and XBOX 360.

nasos_333 likes this.
  26. kurylo3d

kurylo3d

Thats interesting... guess the real question is will all that be in 5.0 or 5.x

27. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I've locked this thread because its wandered far off topic. If the author has something to *actually* release, he can make a thread then, but I think it's dragged out far enough and gone off topic long enough.

It's not a particularly favourable thread to the author in any case. Also I don't want to see another WIP thread *at all* unless it shows clear work in progress and clear demonstration of it within Unity as far as assets go. No more teaser crap.

olix4242, mrbdrm, Cynicat and 17 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.