Search Unity

[Coming Soon] MJpegTexture plugin

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by captivereality, Sep 3, 2019.

1. captivereality

captivereality

Hi All,

We're hoping to publish our very first asset store plugin.. an MJpegTexture plugin for streaming MJpeg streams. It's a fairly simple plugin and hopefully the first of many... we've done a lot of work over the years that we use for clients that we should be able to package up as useful assets. This one is fully multi threaded and really easy to use.

With much regret my forum search foo is failing me though as I've been trying to understand the etiquette of posting requests for beta testers for assets prior to publishing, any pointers would be gratefully received. I do of course realise that the market for an MJpeg asset is likely to be shall we say.. not in huge demand but we really want to release assets that are as solid as possible.

I've also got a question related to editor extensions.. to make the plugin slightly easier to use we've included some code that makes the UI in the inspector easier... we've put this in a separate dll marked for the editor only but I'm a little confused about the wording around licencing on the asset store regarding "Editor Extension (one license per seat) / This extension requires one license per seat."... I don't really understand this and would appreciate any pointers so that I can look to understand it. I'm not even sure what this means so would appreciate a pointer towards any thread or explanation.

Thank you in advance.
    - Mark

2. NicBischoff

NicBischoff

If the extension is used in the editor (like yours would be) then it requires a license per user/seat using the extension in the editor. As apposed to a 3D assets etc that can be shared with team members.

3. mgear

mgear

is that for streaming and playback also? (and mobiles are supported?)

4. NicBischoff

NicBischoff

The license pertains to the developer using unity not the end user. So the end user would not be subject to the terms but rather the unity game developer.

5. captivereality

captivereality

It is for streaming MJpeg (or MPng) from a URL over HTTP/S. Yes Android is fully supported (and GearVR/Go/Quest etc, which is what we built it for... to stream a windows Desktop into VR) and just testing with iOS but expect it's fine.

6. captivereality

captivereality

Thanks.. I'll look into that.. I'm not sure this will even be affected by this clause.. will check with Unity.. the asset simply has a dropdown similar to VideoPlayer which allows the user to select Render Mode: "Material Override / Render Texture / API Only" which hides displays a further option. If that needs licencing for either us or any end users then I think perhaps it might be overkill and we'll probably just remove the convenience feature as it would have no material effect on end user usage really (except convenience).

NicBischoff likes this.
  7. NicBischoff

NicBischoff

Is the MJPEG in a container/avi etc or rather as separate JPEG files? Will you support Linux as well (for the end user)?

8. captivereality

captivereality

It is just for streaming over http/s at the moment (eg not for local assets). Will look at Linux once we've ensured it works well on iOS but don't anticipate it being an issue.

9. NicBischoff

NicBischoff

Couldn’t you use the WWW out of streamingassets etc? I think that would make it a powerful video contender. ESP if it supports Linux.

10. captivereality

captivereality

Will certainly consider it :)

11. captivereality

captivereality

Been thinking about this and out of interest what is the use case you're thinking of? Just trying to understand what problem you are thinking this could solve? Also: I must admit that I really hadn't thought that Unity was used much on Linux.. so would also love to know about that and the use case. Please feel free to contact me offline if you prefer... pm or email unityforum@captivereality.com Thanks :)