Search Unity

Come on Unity VR developers show us your Wares!

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by Arowx, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Arowx

Arowx

That's it really where is everyone, have you all run off to Unreal?

Hello Anyone???

OK Here are my previous forays into VR using the DK1.

and

and

Well I gave it a go, but found that the DK1 freemium model without IAP for demos and games kind of prohibits further development and investment.

hypeNate likes this.
  2. hypeNate

hypeNate

Unity Technologies

@Arowx - Wow - Very cool stuff!

So are you working on any new VR projects currently, or did you get discouraged? If you're looking to embed ads and release your game, perhaps you could port these to a mobile-based VR experience (Gear VR, etc)?

3. LaneFox

LaneFox

4. kablammyman

kablammyman

I would like to show off the things i tinker with, but i get a noticeable amount of judder when turning my head with my dk2 (even witht he cube scene oculus made for an example). I should have the latest sdk for unity and I'm using unity free 4.6. My system specs are: i5 processor, radeon r290 w/ 3gb of ram and 12gb of system ram on win 7.

Also, the uGUI i made doesn't show up when using the rift... :/
    Any tips?

5. hypeNate

hypeNate

Unity Technologies

@LaneFox - Amazing. I really like how long the tracers (missile trails?) hang in space before disappearing. Top notch!

6. Arowx

Arowx

I did do some more work on Space War but it got bogged down and when I saw all the other Space games coming out most of them with VR and to AAA standards I realised that as a lone indie developer it probably was not going to earn me any money.

The Oculus Demo scene is just that a Free for all, and the Oculus market is tiny at the moment although it is possible to make an impact as a studio but the AAA guys will be all over this once it goes consumer, if they aren't already.

Couldn't imagine getting a decent frame rate with Gear VR hardware, unless you can plug them into your PC's GPU. And I don't have the cash to purchase one.

7. Arowx

Arowx

I think you should have received a Unity Pro trial code when you got your rift. If not ask Unity. With it you will be able to run the profiler to see what is causing any slow downs. Check on the Oculus forums as well. The usual advice, check you have the latest version e.g. Unity, Graphics Drivers, Rift Drivers and Firmware, ect and double check that your not running anything else e.g. Services or programs you don't need.

8. kablammyman

kablammyman

no, free unity pro was only a dk1 thing. This is why i stopped using unity for a long time. Once i was able to use oculus with unity free, i was able to tinker with some things and convert my older stuff to vr.

I should note that only unity projects suffer from stutter (mine, or other people's demos i tried). Non-unity vr apps are smooth, so this is pretty frustrating.

9. Arowx

Arowx

You should be able to get a month Pro trial license, on Unity3d.com or they often offer them up for grabs when a game Jam is going, so ask around. Then you can profile your game and see if there is anything in particular that is dropping the FPS.

The other option is to setup an fps counter that streams to a file and change the settings of things in the game e.g. lighting, quality settings, number of characters/units. The idea is to test and repeat to see what is causing the hiccup.

But this is much easier with Pro as the profiler lets you see what is going on under the hood.

Also check the oculus forums as they should have come across the issue and have a workaround.

kablammyman likes this.
  10. kablammyman

kablammyman

okay, I will do a lil research. Thanks for the help.:cool:

11. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

Here are the DK2 clips from the speed boat simulator I'm making:

Here's my site with some more videos and info: http://www.performancesimulations.com/wp/speedboat-simulator/

kablammyman, regarding the head judder when turning your head: I had this too really badly at one point. It appeared to have been mostly caused by the update rate of the regular monitor being set differently from the rift. When I set it to 60 to match the Rift setting, it mostly went away. With the latest updates I am getting a little bit of jerkiness again in my Unity boat sim, but it's not nearly as bad as it is with the refresh rates set differently.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
    hypeNate likes this.
  12. Arowx

Arowx

There is a masking shader on the wiki that should bail you out of your water in boat problem ;0).

So does your boat sim use real physics then, as it looked like you went too fast and took off at one point?

13. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

Real physics, yes. It'll blow over, taking completely off into the air. It'll also chine walk:

I do hydrodynamic, aerodynamic, buoyancy, and skin friction forces on every poly in the meshes. If I remember correctly, the boat mesh here has something like 800 triangles, plus however many in the engine and propeller. Multiply by 4 forces per triangle and you get at least 3200 forces acting on the boat. I've ramped it up to triple that and it still runs. This takes a little trickery to make it work in real time without killing the frame rate and setting the CPU on fire, but I figured out a way to make it work. ;)

The boat meshes are procedurally generated, so part of the simulator will be designing your own boats. This is somewhat visible in one of the Rift videos in my other post, although it's hard to see because I didn't have transparent buttons in yet and there's just a black background. Tiny changes in the hull shape, weight, center of gravity location, etc., have a dramatic effect on performance and response. The propeller is handled this way too so you get strong engine trim effects due mostly to assymetrical blade forces. It also exhibits paddle wheeling when the prop is not fully submerged. This pulls the rear of the boat to the right, you might be able to see the driver steer to the right to compensate in one or more of these videos.

Here's one that goes crazy with the engine trim, stabbing hard on and off the throttle where you can really see the air catching it:

Here's an earlier one showing some of the forces:

I was the physics engine developer for VRC Pro (Virtual RC Racing Pro) for 14 years, wrote the engine and did all the vehicle dynamics, so I take the physics pretty seriously.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2014
    Arowx likes this.
  14. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

Masking shader: I appreciate the tip. I found that a few weeks ago but haven't gotten around to adding it yet. Maybe it should be called a "bilge pump shader." :p

Arowx likes this.
  15. insiderrr

insiderrr

Short preview video from Golden Age VR, right now we have closed previews for public, next year we hope launching this project with CV1 and poorting it to Unity 5. Running content 75 fps stable.

Thomas-Pasieka likes this.
  16. Mandi_UK

Mandi_UK

Heya, let's leave those here!
    We're working with Unity to create VR experiences...here's a couple of videos of our projects!!

shakhruz and Thomas-Pasieka like this.
  17. lazygunn

lazygunn

I hope to have something i can show at the beginning of january. Browser based unity vr, its a thing!

18. mikuru15

mikuru15

Got an oculus rift and immediately started wanting to try develop games for it, this is just something I was working on with a months experience of using unity, I'll probably scrap it and start a new project, I learned alot from it though.

19. virror

virror

Steins gate was a very nice anime, nice work : )

20. maart

maart

VisionaiR 3D is a company that develops, builds, rents and sells Virtual Reality systems. It was founded in the year 2001 by Maarten van Grinsven and is settled in the Netherlands. We are specialized in VR presentations for the architecture industry.

Our latest system is: The Simulation Cube. It is a panoramic, 360º surround projection system. It creates an image on 4 walls that completely surrounds the users to immerse them in a Virtual Reality environment. This front projected CAVE like display is cheap, fits in a small space of only 4x4x2.8 meters, and is easy to build up.

The Simulation Cube is a CAVE system that was developed for commercial activities, and doesn't use headtracking to avoid cyber-sickness and to keep a multi-user environment. The Simulation Cube is ideal for presentations for up to 6 persons and because of the integrated table it's a comfortable place to host your presentation or sales-promotion.

Navigating a virtual environment in the Simulation Cube is easy.
    The users just rotate around the table, and point the 3D joystick in the direction they want to go. The 360º field of vision keeps it easy to remain your orientation in the VR environment.

The simulation Cube* (*Standard version) is a complete turnkey solution containing both software and hardware. Allowing you to experience VR environments, as well as create them. The Simulation Cube* comes with the following software pre installed on the system: Collada 3D model viewer, Quest3D, Google Earth (including Streetview) and the Unity3D editor.

It is now possible to run the Unity3Don the Simulation Cube. During your presentation the rotatable monitor in the middle of the table can be used to access the Unity3D editor. Any changes made in the editor is reflected in realtime to the surrounding environment in the Simulation Cube. This exposes a whole new range of possibilities, from gaming to interior decorating, making the Simulation Cube the most flexible and complete VR presentation system out there.

Experience the world around you, with Google Earth in the Simulation Cube.
    You can run Google earth in the Simulation Cube, allowing you to travel the world using the joystick in the middle of the table, while having the world projected around you.

Google earth is perfect for VR presentations of real-estate, history and geographical data. This makes the Simulation Cube not only interesting to the architecture industry, but also I the fields of history and art

For more info please visit visionair3d.com

21. Gnimmel

Gnimmel

I've been working on a RPG for about a year and a half now which was aimed at mobile. I just got my oculus and had to try the game out with it.
    It's not what I was expecting, it looked and felt much better than I thought it would and I love the way I can lean in close to the main character.
    If anyone has tried toybox turbos (if not, just buy it, it's awesome on the rift), it has a similar feel.
    Now I'm wondering how much more work it would take to up res all the graphics and make it a real oculus game for the PC.

GoblinAbyss_Oculus.jpg

22. bcoyle

bcoyle

23. virror

virror

I think you accidentally uploaded a pic of your room instead! ; )
    Looks really awesome : D

24. clevermango

clevermango

Superb work Brendan! I'm working on very similar project over here in the UK. Would be interesting to exchange knowledge and experience!

25. Arowx

Arowx

26. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

Now that's clever...

27. infinitypbr

infinitypbr

28. Partel-Lang

Partel-Lang

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015