Search Unity

Combining Unity UI & UIToolkit

Discussion in 'UI Toolkit' started by JakesOC, Apr 30, 2020.

1. JakesOC

JakesOC

Hi! I'v recently studied UIToolkit and I must say that it's far more comfortable to work with it than with massive amounts of gameobject to serve as data container. I know that this is still in early preview, but is it possible to move all the functionality to UIToolkit (plus some basic visuals) and keep all the complex visuals and animations on gameobjects, and then have a system to bridge & identify both together? Or does UIToolkit somehow prevent that / something I should be cautious about?
    Thank you

2. benoitd_unity

benoitd_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi Jakes, thanks for your feedback.

That's actually a very good question, which can be tricky to answer in some cases. I would say yes, we're trying to achieve a clearer separation of concern between GameObjects and UI Toolkit. The current Unity authoring and animation tools are great at creating characters and various gameplay elements but not ideal for UI. So we want to provide efficient tools for authoring and animating UI.

The tricky part is answering what is UI? In context of UI Toolkit, they are specialized assets with unique requirements, which are then integrated in a Scene in order to be rendered in the Player. Our goal is for UI designers to be able to create and modify those assets using familiar tools. For everything more complex, the UI Toolkit should be able to consume what is produced using other Unity tools.

I hope it answers your question, let me know if you had any special cases in mind.

Cheers

JakesOC likes this.
  3. JakesOC

JakesOC

That's great to hear! I was worried that it would not have a clear separation, but i'm relaxed now. Thank you for answering my question!