Search Unity

Combining two objects that their meshes overlap. - New user question

Discussion in 'World Building' started by Chiefmastoras1, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Chiefmastoras1

Chiefmastoras1

I am trying to create a concert hall. I try to built the bars using two cylinders that one passes trough the other as in the picture I am posting. You can see the merged object in the Game view while in the Scene view I have deleted some meshes so that you can understand how they fit together.

The questions is:

• Is it alright to leave it like this? Is this going to affect the performance or disturb the material textures? The material will be a metal painted white.

• This combination will appear around 50 times in the scene, should I prefer to have a little of unused surface (meshes that are not visible)? Should I break it in pieces (creating many more triangles?)
    I am a new user, if this question has appeared before please redirect me.

Thank you in advance! Steely.jpg

2. Omniglitch

Omniglitch

The kind of intersection shown in your example is done all the time and won't be a problem. What you need to look out for is having co-planar polygons, because then you have z-fighting. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z-fighting

Chiefmastoras1 likes this.
  3. Olmi

Olmi

@Chiefmastoras1 don't waste your time optimizing things that don't need it, if it looks ok and runs ok, it most likely is. The devices aren't PS2 level anymore (luckily.) Like @Omniglitch said, just look for co-planar polygons. It will show up as flickering surfaces usually.

Chiefmastoras1 likes this.
  4. Chiefmastoras1

Chiefmastoras1

@Omniglitch @Olmi

Thank you guys for the advice! I am checking forz-fighting. I guess the room is not so big so it is going to be ok.
    The reason I ask mainly is because this room will be used in an experiment of pshychoacoustics. Subject will see part of a concert in VR. So I am trying to do it as light as I can in order to perform well with Oculus and maybe can manage some post processing.

5. ron-bohn

ron-bohn

I personally think you should be prudent about optimization and it's good to get in good habits early. Watch your vertices and use atlases whenever possible, regardless of if you're designing for a mobile phone or a playstation 5. The better your scene runs, the better you can make it look with post processing and lighting. Optimizing is really easy once you get in the habit. It's not just about if your target device "can" run it. The more optimized your scenes are, more devices will be able to run it and that is basically never a bad thing. There are a lot of really poorly optimized game assets floating around that need tons of work to be production ready imho.