Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Combining Terrains of Different Sizes (NOT just Height Map data)

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by C10110, Sep 26, 2017.

1. C10110

C10110

Hello Unity friends! I have an issue that is much less a problem with Unity but more how I want to go about using it.

For years I have seen tools for terrain stitching, and multi terrain editing. Since most of my work has been much smaller projects, I never ran into an issue until I started working on a bigger one.

It seems Unity despises different sized terrains. I foolishly thought it would be as simple as opening my scene as an additive and position it approximately where I wanted it and could more or less merge the terrains, or blend them into one.

I have quite a few terrain tools and systems from the asset store, that all work as advertised, but I can not find an asset or solution for what I'm attempting to accomplish. I know I can import a terrain as a stamp in Gaia, but it only keeps the heightmap data, and nothing else as far as I'm aware.I'm interested in World Builder but the terrain import demo on youtube doesn't cover anything but, again, heightmap. However I have not asked the dev about this.

Any ideas would mean a lot! It would be very cool to combine lots of little scenes into one, that's how I like to work as my projects tend to get extremely messy and buggy fast when it's all in one place. so I like to merge things from separate projects into the main one. Being able to do this with Terrain would encance my workflow a great deal.

Looking forward to hearing thoughts!!

2. C10110

C10110

I'm going to bump this. It's mid 2019 and not only is there no answer I'm still trying to figure this out haha. Anybody have any suggestions? Do the new terrain tools for 2019.1 have any scaling options previously lacking?

3. stjernerlever

stjernerlever

Just ran into this problem. When I first started making terrains in Unity, it made them a size of 500x500 units. Now it makes some that are 1000x1000. I didn't know about the option for filling heightmaps using neighboring terrains in the beginning, so I just kept the larger sized terrain.

So now I have differently sized terrains and I want to use the option for filling heightmaps using neighboring terrains. Did you ever find a solution? I'm considering trashing the big terrain and remaking it in smaller pieces, but that's gonna be a lot of work.