Search Unity

1. Are you interested in providing feedback directly to Unity teams? Sign up to become a member of Unity Pulse, our new product feedback and research community.
    Dismiss Notice

Combining Animation with IK and a physics-based vehicle rig

Discussion in 'Physics' started by NAiLz, Oct 5, 2018.

1. NAiLz

NAiLz

Hey folks,

I'm working on a method for faster travel in the game project I'm working on which is essentially and ability that let's the player "surf" on the ground. Now, my idea to get this working with a solid and more dynamic feel is to have the player essentially parented to an invisible 4-wheel vehicle rig (using tire colliders) and then to have "surfing" animations that are controlled based on speed, direction of travel etc but also foot IK that sticks to a child of the tire colliders (to give it the look that his feet are changing position with the terrain) and also provides some spring in his knees when he makes jumps and landings etc. To me this seemed like a pretty straight forward way of doing this but I wondered if anyone had any suggestions and/or experience with IK who might give me some insight on top of the research I'm doing on combining these approaches. Thanks in advance.

unityunity