Search Unity

combine animations from character packs?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by j9suvak, Sep 15, 2013.

1. j9suvak

j9suvak

Yes, it's my first day. ;)

I originally purchased 'Monster Groucho' character w/animations from the Unity Asset Store then later the 'Game Motion: Orc' that is the same character but additional animations. Can the additional animations be applied to the original character model, or do I have to swap out models from the different packs to run their respective animations?

Edit:
    I had added the second pack but none of the animations worked. After poking around and changing the Rig for the animations from 'generic' to 'legacy' now they work with the original model. But I still don't understand why, and I'd like to for future reference.

Thanks in advance,

Janine

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  2. Archania

Archania

Are you using an Animator Controller? basically using Mecanim or legacy versions?

3. hedongjun

hedongjun

4. TonyLi

TonyLi

@j9suvak, what they're getting at is that there are two animation systems: Mecanim and Legacy.

Mecanim can retarget animations, so you can use almost any animation on any model. For more info, see the video @hedongjun linked to. When you import the rig as Generic or Humanoid, you're using Mecanim. Your character will have an Animator component. You'll need to create an Animator Controller and assign it to the Animator component.

Legacy animations require that the model's skeleton matches the skeleton used for the animation. When you import the Rig as Legacy, you're using the Legacy animation system. Your character will have an Animation component. You can drag compatible animations from other imported models (e.g. Game Motion: Orc) into the Animation component's animation list.