Search Unity

Combat

Discussion in 'Open Projects' started by Jirushi, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Jirushi

Jirushi

It's certainly a bit early to ask, but how deep will the combat be?
    I'm asking this because I saw that the critters are pretty agressive, so it would make sense if there was either blocking or dashing instead of a clunky manual strafing.

2. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

In the base design, it shouldn't be the focus of the game. As such it shouldn't be super challenging.
    But as in many aspects, I'm open to discussion.

How do you imagine it? I imagine it simple, like Tunic:

With no Z-targeting. Do we want it to have a roll?

luisquid likes this.
  3. Jirushi

Jirushi

No Z-targeting would work if the enemy stops moving after an attack, to give the player time to rotate and retaliate. Otherwise Z-targeting would be best.

But I don't know what would be best between a roll, a sideways leap or anything similar.
    Suggestions anyone?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  4. shuttle127

shuttle127

Apologies for the lengthy pig education, but according to this article about how pigs evade their predators, I’d say a quick dash (probably straight line) is a good idea.

Way later on, if stealth mechanics were an option, could even work out how to camouflage with mud, and if not for stealth, just to lower aggro. :D

5. luisquid

luisquid

It makes me so happy to see that you looked into that @shuttle127 hahaha
    Thank you so much for that :D

The mud camouflage sounds so much fun! I was thinking that maybe it could be instead of a hiding mechanic, it could be as disguising yourself from certain kind of enemies? That's the kind of vibe it gives me.

What do you think?

itsLevi0sa, ChemaDmk and shuttle127 like this.
  6. shuttle127

shuttle127

Several of the humanoids have similar body types in the concept art, so I could definitely see the mud as disguise being something zany to try.

Ngl, reading that article made me also think how hide-as-upgradable-armor might work, but baby steps right?

Also, thank you @cirocontinisio for linking Tunic, following that game is what made me decide to make time to start learning this stuff.

michaelgrilo and luisquid like this.
  7. UniDongwon

UniDongwon

What about ranged attacks? is that going to be a thing at all? I think something like throwing spears that some enemies can throw at players and players pick it up and throw it back at them would work fine.
    or we could make it a consumable item?(if this game will have consumable items at all...)

8. ChemaDmk

ChemaDmk

Unity Technologies

This is so funny ! Thank you for doing some researches !
    I'll tag @Amel-Unity because at one point she was also thinking about the disguise idea :D

luisquid and itsLevi0sa like this.
  9. erizzoalbuquerque

erizzoalbuquerque

I really like the idea of having any kind of dash/roll in the combat. It gives more options on how to approach the enemy or evade him. The movement of Tunic or Hyper Light Drifter are great examples.

If we're using some kind of z-targeting, we could have the protagonist to roll around the enemy or away from the enemy depending on the input direction.

10. dkaloger

dkaloger

hi i am mostly finished with the dialogue so i can help here too

11. dkaloger

dkaloger

I also have a suggestion what if when you get near an enemy you are only focused on that enemy and can rotate around him with a and d and move closer or further with w and s sort of like fencing in a circular arena . we could also have the player have an ability to rush into the enemy

12. Barigamb738

Barigamb738

Its probably a bit too early but i would love to make the combat mechanic. If noone is doing it yet.