Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Combat Extreme - Online Third Person Shooter (Preview)

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by ubhkid, Feb 24, 2011.

1. devinrayolsen

devinrayolsen

:D I'm proud to introduce the latest and final addition to our level list that will be included in our final release.

The parking garage.

Just as an update, we have begun to work out all our database architect and putting our final touches on a much faster approach to our networking solutions. We should have this new level, player updates and hideout updated out for beta testing soon.

Also, we are very close to actually setting up play times for willing participants to help us beta the networking. Please stay tuned.

Thanks everyone for your support!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  2. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

The jumping animation seems really unnatural...

3. ubhkid

ubhkid

Two animations, run jump and standing jump.
    Both or one over the other.

Also would you say it is the speed of the animation that is weird?

Thanks Rush-Rage-Games.

4. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

The run jump is probably the worst, but nothing to bad. Maybe look at the unity boot camp demo for some reference. Anyhow, the game looks awesome so far.

5. ubhkid

ubhkid

I think it's the lack of falling / landing animations. We are only playing "Standing Jump" and "Run Jump" starting animations, maybe we'll look into adding those other two animations in. Thanks for the input Rush.

6. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

No problem.

7. joshimoo

joshimoo

Very nice game so far.
    It's a bit performance hungry (city 30fps high/low, hideout 60/30 low/high), but I am also on a older computer.

Questions Suggestions:
    - Are you using any kind of mouse accerleration or frame smoothing? (if so, let the user turn it off)
    - I really liked the pistol feeling (animation, stance, etc)
    - Lot's of scenery objects don't get a decal/hiteffect (maybe implement a default hiteffect)

Keep up the good work =)

8. devinrayolsen

devinrayolsen

Hi joshimoo, thanks for the suggestions and feedback! We at are looking into alternative bullet decal system from the one we wrote due to ours not having the ability to wrap the decal mesh around corners and what not.

Also I agree, since our first release when this thread was added, we have lost our original performance due to little things added or code buildup from lots of tweaking. I think we need to re-investigate some of the largest performance hitting areas in our levels once more ubhkid.

Thank you all btw, every little suggestion helps out greatly and is actively be worked on so keep them coming!

9. devinrayolsen

devinrayolsen

@CursedOne - Regarding out web server's bandwidth. With our over all build being under 50mb, and the fact that our web server has a monthly bandwidth of ∞ MB ;) I'd say we are doing fine with that department.

Unity3d not having the ability to support multi-threading or getting a standalone to run as a service on our dedicated box is a whole different story. Until we have multi-threading support we can only have one truly dedicated server that will be available in the game's lobby in the begining. However other players will be able to create and host their own games for others to join until then.

We have also begun to architect our database and integrate it into the game. In time, this will allow us to toss hosting responsibility to other connected players if/when a player who happens to be hosting decides to leave the game. This will ensure that other players will not be disconnected mid-game.

In turn, one game a person sets up one day may indeed in fact still be there a week later if the room was never emptied and hosting responsibility keeps being shuffled from player to player when hosts leave.

We are also contemplating releasing our standalone server .exe for others to host on their own dedicated boxes in order to have their own dedicated games show up in the lobby.

Lots of exciting stuff to come soon everyone.
    Thanks for all your support!

10. Demoratic

Demoratic

Hideout looks good, keep up the good work Kyle/Devin.

11. devinrayolsen

devinrayolsen

Hey all, just wanted to share with you all some creative comps I just finished for the main sections of our menus in game. I know lots have been saying we need to polish up our GUI, so what do you think?

WINNING!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  12. ivanzu

ivanzu

Looks awsome i could play that game with no problems.
    But you should fix the sound and games sometimes freezes for like 0.1sec.

13. devinrayolsen

devinrayolsen

Hey ivanzu, could you tell me what your computer specs are? In our next release of beta (beings the one you played in a several months old now) we should have major performance increases, so I'm hopeful that this issue will be resolved.

Also, we are aware of some well known firefox memory leaks with the latest versions of firefox, http://blog.mozilla.com/futurereleases/2011/08/18/firefoxbeta7/ should fix those if you are indeed using firefox.

We are still looking to get some feedback about the above GUI concepts from the community, any suggestions people?

14. TehWut

TehWut

I could only get it at 11 fps, but It looked good as far as I know

15. devinrayolsen

devinrayolsen

TehWut, could you tell us your computer specs?

16. KingRavanaFromSriLanka

KingRavanaFromSriLanka

combat extreme work my computer,after am intalled unity 4.2.1(840MB) on my computer after combat extreme work, but character cont move.after am unstall a unity 4.2.1, but character cont move. after am unstalled a unity web play(5.30MB) and reinstalled unity web play(5.30MB) but character cont move..i have big troble plc help .