Search Unity

Combat Extreme - Online Third Person Shooter (Preview)

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by ubhkid, Feb 24, 2011.

1. tuckdragon

tuckdragon

@Caliber Mengsk yeah ive noticed that too, that somtimes when i have other flash apps on other tabs the unity plugin crashes sometimes on chrome.

2. devinrayolsen

devinrayolsen

How does the player feel now guys? I think we have worked out most of the issues previously discussed.

3. AVividLight

AVividLight

4. devinrayolsen

devinrayolsen

Interesting find GBStudios. Looks like with our new mesh coliders we will have to do some additional QA on getting on top of buildings.

5. paulygons

paulygons

Great job. One thing I noticed immediately, and it's something I ran into myself when dealing with locking and hiding the cursor, there's no way out that I could find except for hitting alt-tab. If you have plans for the escape key bringing up a menu and releasing the cursor, that will solve it.

6. devinrayolsen

devinrayolsen

Yeah, we plan to be tackling the GUI and options menus here soon. Mouse lock and Esc key with no options menu is very annoying for me as well.

Thanks for the tip paulygon.

7. devinrayolsen

devinrayolsen

We have been on a little break for past few days, but got some updates done today that I wanted to share:

-Added Insurgent Character.
    -Weapon Icons.
    -Divided gun tracer from weapon.
    -New Crosshair.
    -Grenade (Smoke / Frag) With Sounds.
    -Fixed Ragdoll and Spawn view Issue.
    -Weapon Switch Animations Fixed.
    -Barrel Explosion Camera Shake Fixed.

Let me know what you think. Also, it's worth to note we still have yet to implement our escape menu when pressing the ESC key, and fix colliders to get on top of buildings, but we have tickets for them so they will be resolved soon.

~Play New BETA Here

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  8. lee74saurusr3x

lee74saurusr3x

Very good job! I'm looking forward to the networking being faster. :p

9. devinrayolsen

devinrayolsen

Indeed, I am contemplating hosting the game when completed on a pro hosting server for unity3d games. Any suggestions?
    Right now it just lives on our cheap VPS.

10. Fierce Waffle

Fierce Waffle

11. ubhkid

ubhkid

Interesting presentation Fierce Waffle, thanks for that.

12. Viet4Lyfe

Viet4Lyfe

verrrry nice job! cant wait to see more :)

13. Sollthar

Sollthar

Sweet game! Shame there was no one around to shoot when I logged in just now. ;)

14. Cnaff

Cnaff

Same thing I was thinking :/

Great game with great potential! I know its still a WIP but you need to make the crouching lower. Good luck with the game!

15. Lypheus

Lypheus

You'll notice if you rotate the camera behind your guy with the wall to your back or an obstruction, the focus zooms in and out quickly - I'm pretty sure you have the same problem that I'm having which I *think* might be that I calculate when to east the camera forward to avoid obstructions using a raycast and use the current position of the camera vs player instead of the desired position of camera vs player ... but just in case: have you solved this yet :) ?

16. devinrayolsen

devinrayolsen

Lypheus, we have not solved this issue 100% yet and are kinda lost our selfs on how to fix the issue. In a nut shell, for third person reasons our camera is constantly being push back away from the character. Once it meets the surface of a collider it attempts to stop the camera from going through the collider and ultimately gets push up to the character depending on how far away the character is from the collider.

Our issue is that with the mix of the camera always being pushed back from the character and the camera also being push closer to the character when a collider touches the camera, we get a stutter effect between the two forces being performed.

We are all ears on a better solution from the community however we have not heard anything either here or in the IRC. Anyone have any suggestions?

17. devinrayolsen

devinrayolsen

Hey everyone, so aside from still squashing bugs and building out new features to our BETA, we have been drumming up some new environments. Here is some eye candy to our new and dearly loved (but far from completed) warehouse level.

In size, this level is much smaller than our Arab town, but we heard lots of feedback saying the arab town was too large for DM games and was more perfect for Team DM. So here we have our first DM only environment.

We are looking to have a new beta build for everyone to demo in about a week or less. Thanks for everyones support!!

18. Caliber-Mengsk

Caliber-Mengsk

Looking like it's going to be great... Empty :p but great

19. Andrew_atl

Andrew_atl

Have you looked at 3d Buzz tutorials on this? http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/content.php?212

20. Viet4Lyfe

Viet4Lyfe

recoil is a bit much for the pistol, but overall, very good game

21. ubhkid

ubhkid

Thank you very much Andrew_ATL! After watching some of those I made a couple changes to our camera and it is now behaving nearly perfect!

@Lypheus - If you're still looking for a solution to the jittery movement of the camera when updating its position, I just basically off set the target of the linecast to be a bit behind the camera, so that even when its position has been updated to be in front of the collider the linecast's target is still sunk into it, thus making it still return as true.

22. FlintCLeaver

FlintCLeaver

I don't know if you tried addressing this already but i noticed that when you use 'Q' or 'E' to switch which side the camera is i noticed its not even. the right side mode has the camera further away form the character then the left side.

Great job so far!

23. drillfoot

drillfoot

This is outstanding, I played the Arab town, and was getting shot, and shooting others. (this was a while ago) I think you have something going great here! I love the old Battlefield style games. I don't need a 'helo' from above, or a nuke called in. Or a darn little motorized buggy with bombs on it! Keep this up, I would even purchase something such as this. Nice job.

24. CursedOne

CursedOne

I agree with drillfoot I think this game is awesome :( You should add a single player one with bots? or even mp with the option of bots

25. ubhkid

ubhkid

Thanks for such positive feed back drillfoot and CursedOne. My brother and I are working hard to capture and implement almost all community requests; comments like yours always lift our development spirits. We should have our new level ready to be beta tested by everyone by the end of the week. We are also thinking of setting up a count down clock to better inform new comers when our beta play times will be so we can get larger crowds in the games.

A full status update with all the fixes and new/cleaned up animations and second environment soon.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  26. CursedOne

CursedOne

I'll be happy to come to a beta event :) If you have time could you PM me when it is?

27. CursedOne

CursedOne

I also wanted to ask, with the webplayer does you bandwidth on your site like go insanely high? :D

28. ubhkid

ubhkid

@CursedOne, we are currently trying work out our server to be the one hosting our games moving forward vs. players being the host and others joining. Once we have this last part (kinda over our heads) worked out, we will finally have set beta play times for everyone to join.

Currently we have experience issues with RPC for networked weapons (and other things) while player 1 = host to game, so this part is finally our priority number one atm.

If anyone has any good suggestions on setting up our Linux VPS (CentOS) to be a unity game server we are all ears.

Thanks!

29. drillfoot

drillfoot

I just thought I'd throw in that it's awesome your brother and you are working on this together. This reminds me of Robyn/Rand Miller working on Myst, in there garage with no money and now look at them!! Its always nice to have that backing like a brother, rather then doing everything ourselves..

30. Caliber-Mengsk

Caliber-Mengsk

One quick bug. You can shoot while the pistol animation is reloading. Also, you may want to work on the smoke grenade particle effect. It's kind of bad looking when you get close to it. (I suggest using the "Particles/Alpha Blended Premultiply" shader. It worked wonders with some tweaking for my Bellowing Smoke Particle)

31. devinrayolsen

devinrayolsen

Hey everyone, so we are back from taking a break and into the swing of things with this game.
    Figured I would bump the thread, with new warehouse level layout eye candy:

32. goatria

goatria

sick...i had fun blowin up barrels..imagine kickin someone's butt!!!...great work guys...if u had to pay monthly to play this i would pay :)...hope you the best guys...will look forward for updates....

33. goatria

goatria

someone get on right know!!!..i wanna play!!!! :D

34. tonyf1121

tonyf1121

looks nice! but I really dont understand why peopel go for the COD/Conterstrike type games, yes there easier and much more fun to make, but your neer going to be as good as them sadly to say :/. You have to come up with games that are out of the box :p, and im the one talking making an RPG XD. But anyways good work man keep it yup :D

35. ubhkid

ubhkid

I don't think either of those are third person. :)

36. KillerScript

KillerScript

OMG this is the F***ing best Multyplayer game that I ever Saw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Please tell me,
    Witch multiplayer program do you using?
    And witch script's do you using for the animation sync?

37. devinrayolsen

devinrayolsen

Hey all, we have just put up a new level for everyone to test out. We also have made some changes to lots of code and character animations. Please feel free to checkout both levels now with the following links:

Arab Town Level - http://www.cssmunch.com
    Insurgent Hideout - http://www.cssmunch.com/hideout/

Thanks, keep the feedback rolling!

38. techmage

techmage

I was getting some seriously bad frame stuttering...

although i tried the insurgent hideout and it didnt have issues, so I dont know?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  39. ubhkid

ubhkid

Could you try pressing "o" after startup and lowering the graphics quality? We're actually targeting mid-high end computers with this game. Also if you don't mind could you let me know what your computer specs are? Thanks.

40. techmage

techmage

Actually I went back and tried it again and its not doing it anymore... it must of just been a bug in that one instance...

41. ubhkid

ubhkid

Odd, good to hear :)

42. devinrayolsen

devinrayolsen

Just tested new level successfully on laptop at work, seems great out here!

43. pepur

pepur

Horrible graphic

44. devinrayolsen

devinrayolsen

pepur - sorry you feel that way.
    Given it's for a web browser we are limited to how close to Crysis we can make our game.

If you could give us a little more insight on how we could improve on some things, we would try our best to do so.

Thanks.

45. kenshin

kenshin

A really impressive work!!!

46. devinrayolsen

devinrayolsen

Thanks kenshin!

47. pepur

pepur

Dont be silly.
    Unity 3d engine can much more than you show on this game.

48. ubhkid

ubhkid

I completely agree with you pepur. We're not trying to raise any bars with our game here. We are keeping our draw calls low and are staying in forward rendering, so you're not going to see any fancy post processing in Combat Extreme. Please be specific if there's something that you think we could improve. Feel free to PM me with your ideas or changes that you think should be implemented.

49. devinrayolsen

devinrayolsen

ubhkid - and if I might add, we are not trying to target your computer alone pepur, there is a huge range of systems we have to target.
    and again *through a web browser* not a standalone exe (you seem to keep forgetting this pepur).

As stated before, unless you have some suggestions or recommendations, I cant help but feel you are just trolling these forums for no good reason (seeing lots of your other posts that is).

Please be more specific, in suggestions / help, or move on.

Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  50. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games