Search Unity

Combat Extreme - Online Third Person Shooter (Preview)

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by ubhkid, Feb 24, 2011.

1. ubhkid

ubhkid

Combat Extreme - Online Third Person Shooter (Preview)

Updated 11-27-11
    We're now in official beta! Combat-Extreme-Official-Open-Multiplayer-Beta
    ----------

Hello everyone! My brother (http://www.devinrolsen.com/) and I have been working on a little something for the past few months and have decided that it's now worth showing off! We are aware of some visual hiccups as well as some minor bugs, but it shouldn't be anything to dwell on :)

**********Updates (11-22-11)**********
    -Now in Open Beta!
    -Finalized other two levels
    -Rebuilt character animations
    -Added new pistols and sounds to them
    -Redone camera
    -Built GUI
    -Squashed over 70+ known issues / bugs!

**********Updates (7-17-11)**********
    -Dynamic Spawn Points
    -Teams Added
    -Added Outdoor environment to Warehouse level
    -Redone character animations
    -Added Options menu in game (Press "o")
    -Fixed sniper scope
    -Grenade cooking
    -Tons of minor bug fixes!

**********Updates (3-21-11)**********
    -Added Insurgent Character.
    -Weapon Icons.
    -Divided gun tracer from weapon.
    -New Crosshair.
    -Grenade (Smoke / Frag) With Sounds.
    -Fixed Ragdoll and Spawn view Issue.
    -Weapon Switch Animations Fixed.
    -Barrel Explosion Camera Shake Fixed.

**********Updates (3-14-11)**********
    -Full screen ability with dynamic sized sniper scope / blood splatters.
    -Added Terrain normal maps.
    -Added pistol weapons and animations.
    -Orientate Player Back Bone towards Cross-hair added.
    -More Player animations / aiming forward in all movements.
    -Two versions of standing and crouch idles.
    -Chat issues fixed.
    -Reload sounds added.
    -Added new crate and bins.
    -Fixed areas players can get stuck.
    -Gave character normals / lightmap.
    -Infinite Death Loop fixed.
    -Weapons clip reload problems fixed.
    -Fall off world fixed.
    -Player size has been scaled down and compared to most objects in game.
    -Bullets now don't shoot object between player and camera.
    -Floating weapons issue fixed.
    -awnings cloth shader fixed.
    -Jumping animations fixed.
    -Divided houses and cut 6mb from build.
    -Bullet impact decals.
    -Fixed weapons scale.
    -Added Battle Cry.
    -Added Ambient Smoke.
    -Added Bullet Impact smoke.
    -No more death blinks when killing someone else.
    -Fixed reloading loop issue.
    -Scaled up buildings and objects.
    -Added Jump + Shoot.
    -Added light for muzzle flash.
    -Fixed most shooting animation speeds.
    -Added surrounding sand hills.
    -Fixed Player Sprint and Aiming Issue.

**********Updates (2-27-11)**********
    -Player Camera Collision
    -Jumping + Jump animation syncing
    -Player Size. (From 1.4 to 1.3 scale, is now proportionate to doors, barrels, roadblocks etc..)
    -Fall off the world. (No more jumping out of map.)
    -Infinite Death Loop.
    -Aim while sprinting now works, but puts you into a jog rather then sprint.
    -Fixed ammo HUD from freaking out.
    -Final Pass and QA of all 100 character animations (yet to be implemented, but completed none the less).
    -New logo.

**********Updates (2-26-11)**********
    -Increased Sniper Rifle damage to be more scaled vs the Machine gun.
    -Updated Scoreboard, now working for players present from the start of the game.
    _____After further testing is seems that the scoreboard stops working with 3+ players connected (Currently being worked on).
    -Stopped Heart / Breathing sounds when dead.
    -Disabled turn animations while aiming.
    -Fixed Crouch Aim Camera.
    -Fixed Sprint Animation.
    -Fixed Reload + Shooting Bug.
    -Increased size of smaller marketstands.
    -Small Red Barrels colliders are now correct size.

**********Updates (2-25-11)**********
    Fixed some seams in the terrain.
    Fixed ends of some walls being invisible.
    Fixed player ragdolls.
    Fixed the visual effect of firing when shooting at the sky.
    Fixed barrel explosions.
    Fixed scoped camera positions.
    Fixed camera orientation problems while scoped.
    Added more foliage.
    Added a reload button (not just when you run out of ammo).
    Other various bug fixes...

Another thing I should mention is that the networking portion of this game IS fully implemented and working. You may connect and frag with up to 12 players (we have not tested past that).

Please note that this is a WIP ~

Recent WIP:

More to come soon! ;)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  2. PolyMad

PolyMad

Great stuff, keep it up... I already told you my critics in game :D :D :D

3. granada

granada

You were right ,no way could i play the high quility one :(.I tried to get the same arab city into unity Tiled 4 times.3 was the maximum i could get.I hope you carry on with this i want to see how it comes out.

dave

4. devinrayolsen

devinrayolsen

This is strange, I have basically the same setup as you Granada and I have a solid 60-61 fps on the high quality one.

5. XaVe

XaVe

good job on this so far keep it up ^^ it would be cool if someone took a 3rd person shooter like this made it a bit scifi and added large humanoid mechs and vehicles to pilot.

6. PolyMad

PolyMad

Watching better I think the sky is a bit too dark and saturated with colour.

7. devinrayolsen

devinrayolsen

Agreed, we have yet to apply our own skyboxes so noted in our ticket system megmaltese, thanks!

8. PolyMad

PolyMad

Anyway, as I told you in game, lighting and gfx not bad at all ;)

9. granada

granada

Just tried again on high quality,ran like a dream.Must have been a glitch :confused:.

dave

10. devinrayolsen

devinrayolsen

Sweet! Thanks for the update dave.

11. chaos1986

chaos1986

lol i've just been kicking someones ass on here, great game although it could use a little polish here and there

12. ubhkid

ubhkid

Thank you for trying out our game! :) And the polish you mentioned is currently being worked on! I've been hard at work getting this to be more presentable, i'll be uploading a new version soon with lots of bug fixes / changes that are needed. I'll be updating the first post with any new info.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  13. tuckdragon

tuckdragon

awsome game, worked really smooth and everything.
    played some with the developer and had a chat with him. but the chat stoped working so i had to refresh the page and restart for it to work again.

14. ubhkid

ubhkid

Thanks for the reply tuckdragon, I was just made aware of this chat issue. Looking into it now :)

15. tuckdragon

tuckdragon

you need to add like an invisable wall around the map, found ways to get over the wall and fall of.
    you also need to fix so that the red dot is centerd while aiming with the sniper.
    and somtimes when i reload the sniper i manage to get 38 bullets in a mag. :)

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  16. Fidde

Fidde

Very impressive work, I like the recoil feel and the blur shaders. Only played for 10-15 minutes, but I guess the only critical thing was that I got stuck in respawn at high altitude, or some kind of instagib loop. Resolved itself after a few deaths though. The lack of weapon switch animations was notable.

Anywho, for two people working a few months, it's very impressive. I wish you the best of luck with this!

17. devinrayolsen

devinrayolsen

Thanks tuckgragon and Fidde! I'm making a list of tickets for the project right now over these glitches and more. Updates to most of these little glitches should be resolved soon.

18. Caliber-Mengsk

Caliber-Mengsk

I'm liking it so far, but there are problems.
    #1 Camera doesn't collide with objects, so you can see through walls. Just create a raycast from the player transform to the camera position, and move the camera to the collision position.
    #2 Gun doesn't always point down range when shooting. Click really fast once and you'll see what I mean.
    #3 Red dot reticle appears when scoped giving you two hit locations. I'm sure this is a simple drawing bug.
    #4 When near death (at least by exploding barrels) there is a border of clear on the top and right side of the screen (like 10pixels on each) instead of being red like the rest of the screen.
    #5 When jumping, if you jump really fast after landing you'll jump again, but the animation is either the running or standing animation that you would do if landed. Perhaps have a default animation if not grounded?

And I have a suggestion. Add in some windy dust particles. That would add to the atmosphere a lot. Also, I think the soldiers may be a tad to tall. As well, I'd suggest moving the recoil back down a bit after shooting when scoped. It's practically impossible to shoot at someone more then once without rescopoing as is.

I played in the "Extreme" graphics one, at around 60FPS, which went down to 40 when recording in fraps. I have all of the bugs mentioned above on video or screenshots if you'd like to see it. My system specs are in the signature. I'm good at breaking things/finding bugs, and this seems like it could be a great game, so keep me updated as you get further.

One last note, I did this without being able to test against another player. I no one joined, there were no servers listed, and no one joined my game, so it's all tested without others. There could be more bugs when shooting people and the like.

19. devinrayolsen

devinrayolsen

Great list Caliber Mengsk, #3 and #4 should now be resolved. We were trying to allow dynamic changes to the width and height of the player for our approved facebook app version. So looks like we will just have to stick with a 750x550 size.

Making tickets for the rest of your findings right now :)

Thanks everyone for this awesome support!

20. InvaderStudios

InvaderStudios

Great looking game, the first thing I noticed that the player is way to big!

21. Caliber-Mengsk

Caliber-Mengsk

At least I wasn't the only one.

Also, I just joined another person's game (Saas's? I think it was) and I saw bullets from some one and died a few times, but I never saw a player mesh, until running around, I saw the other two players floating in the air, in place, but doing all of the animations as if they were running around the map.

Maybe this is a bug from the low quality version to the high quality version, but I thought you should know about it.

22. devinrayolsen

devinrayolsen

Caliber Mengsk - When you see this floating animations problem you were in the high quality or low quality version?

23. Caliber-Mengsk

Caliber-Mengsk

Found a different bug that's kind of important. Bullets are shot from the camera not the gun barrel. Doesn't sound like a big deal, but if the camera is behind a wall, you shoot the wall instead of in front of you. You can also therefore kill people behind walls by looking away with the enemy between you can the camera. I took a video if you need that example as well. (used two of my own logins to check it.)

What's bad is there is no lag here, but the battlefield play4free has extreme lag all the time. *sigh* Oh, just a few things. I had fun with someone that logged in as lolol, and found a different problem more as well.

Sometimes you spawn with still being hurt, only slightly healed, as well, with your weapon only filled to where it was when you died. As well, if you die with the machine gun equipped you'll spawn with a machine gun but have the sniper scope. Kind of cool, but kind of annoying as well.

Also, for whatever reason, the spawn locations have a gun show up where the respawn is. I don't have a clue why it does that. Also, either people aren't chatting back to me, or the chat system is broken, cause I only see my chat info. Maybe it has something to do for if you were planning team chat or something like that. As well, it'd be nice to have some indication that you killed someone. Especially with barrels. I killed someone with a barrel and had no clue as to whether or not they were dead until I found their body. I know it's more realistic that way :p but I doubt that you intend to leave something out that pretty much every other shooter has.

I do really think this will be much more fun with a lot more people in a game. Might be nice to have a round objective as well ;P (I know... it's probably coming down the line. I'm just being a jerk :p)

24. Caliber-Mengsk

Caliber-Mengsk

High quality. I'm fairly certain it was at the spawn location.

25. devinrayolsen

devinrayolsen

In no way is any of this "being a jerk" Caliber Mengsk ;)

Really great feedback from everyone and very helpful for my brother and I. We really appreciate all this help!

26. ubhkid

ubhkid

Hi all,
    We have been trying to squash bugs and glitches left and right this weekend, update on the first thread shows what we have gotten done thus far. With that being said, seems we have run into a paradox (if you will) with the "Bullets shoot from camera, not weapon issue".

Seems, because we need the camera to shoot our raycast (sakes of cross hair of weapons) to determin the impact location, about the only solution we have is stop the bullets from being shot if say a tree gets between the player and camera.

We tried to consult the boot-camp example, however they too have the exact same problem and I guess just opted to not resolve the issue.

We have opened up another thread in the support area if anyone is interested in seeing our changes here, and reading a full description of the problem here:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/79842-3rd-person-camera-and-objects-issue.

Any suggestions from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

27. devinrayolsen

devinrayolsen

Hey everyone, we have been hard at work still fixing lots of bugs but also building out the game with new features. One new feature I am really excited about and should be ready for beta review this evening is our new character "Battle Cry" feature.

Battle Cry -
    Weapons that contain large enough clip amounts and player who unload these clips for a continues five seconds or greater, will throw your player character into an angry fierce battle cry while finishing out the clip.

28. thelastowl

thelastowl

very impressive, one thing i noticed is that is if you stand next to a barrel and move the camera so your looking down on the character then you can shoot to the left of the character even though the character is point forward the tracer from the rounds go backwards from the guns direction

29. SkipKickCrash

SkipKickCrash

I find the shooting animation odd, you can fire the first round with the gun still to your side.
    Holding down fire, fires rounds at an odd speed. Feels like the gun is in "single" and not full auto.
    Clicking fire repeatedly to shoot a few accurate rounds off makes the gun animation go crazy. (But this is the usual technique in moden FPSs)
    Loading the map takes ages, what are you doing in that time? I can load a whole Arma2 map in less time.

I think you need an animation/pose where the gun is in a ready to fire mode, So the gun is actually pointing in the direction you would be firing. Then move to your default animation of the gun to your side when you are running.

I think it's been mentioned, but the solider feels like he's 8 feet tall.

When you are running, it should take longer to get into a firing stance.

Combat Extreme is the most boring / generic name imaginable.

This is all harsh criticism. But it's what you need right now.

Keep up the hard work!

30. devinrayolsen

devinrayolsen

Thanks Lastowl and SkipKickCrash.
    Most of these have been cued up in our ticket system are being actively worked on.
    Name change might be a consideration so thanks for bringing it up (from community side).
    Slow loading is however, not something we have experienced even when we dump browser cache with each internal alpha release, I'm wondering if the loading times are bad for you SkipKickCrash due to the location of our cheap VPS. I will have to look into this further as you are not the first to bring this up from someone over seas.

For comparison reasons, our loading times right now is about 30 seconds or less from page load completed to running the character around. Please give me your numbers if you will.

Thanks everyone.

31. tuckdragon

tuckdragon

the loading time depends on the internet.

32. SkipKickCrash

SkipKickCrash

It might just be my internet here in the UK. I just tried again and it's 20 seconds faster then before. So think you're right there.

Also noticed that there are two weapons, each with different firing modes.
    The assualt rifle does have a fire stance, but only when right-clicked.
    When in this mode and walking forward, the soldiers head fills the middle of the screen. Not sure if this is intentional.

You might be able to fix these animation issues by just plugging in more animations. Counter-strike handles this by having 9 different poses of the character pointing the gun in different directions, and then interpolating between the poses.

33. Caliber-Mengsk

Caliber-Mengsk

The camera now works... sort of :p

Problem is, you're moving it back automatically, then moving it forward, giving it that flicker effect. You need to set a flag before moving it to remove the flickering effect. Easiest way to see what I mean by flicker is look directly at the sky.

Also, as far as the shooting through things, you should be able to do a raycast toward the camera (for the length of the distance of the player to camera, obviously ignoring the player), see if it collides with something, if it does, get that point, then do a raycast from that point looking forward the same direction as the camera (obviously ignoring the player again). It's an extra raycast, but it should clear up the problem and let you shoot with things like trees in between. I don't know how much raycasts really take up as far as speed of the loop is concerned, but it's better then not shooting at all.

As far as the funky gun holding, I say always have the gun up and scoped, unless sprinting, in which you should make a delay where you can't shoot until the player is back in the aiming pose. Down across the stomach is only really when running, no reason for it when standing if in a war situation. Look at some games like Unreal tournament, with others running around. Guns always are up... Or at least have it aimed more forward.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2011
  34. NURabbit

NURabbit

My apologies - after careful review, although remarkably similar to content from our
    ArmA: Armed Assault series but not identical. Sadly though this is the only case
    of about 30 I am dealing with at the moment where this is true. Thanks for maintaining
    proper development ethics and I hope that your project does as well as possible!

35. devinrayolsen

devinrayolsen

NURabbit,
    Although I do appreciate the attempted "retract statement", please consider the following:
    "Defamation of Character - Defamation of character is written or spoken injury to a person or organization's reputation. Libel is the written act of defamation, vs. slander, the oral act of defamation.".

I can't help but feel our project has been personally and foolishly defamed by your (representing Bohemia Interactive) original comment. We wish to not take further actions, but do ask for you to fully retract your claims by removing these defamation's from our official thread here altogether.

Further more, please in the future (for your company and own careers sake) consider a personal line of communication between you and the accused to avoid this whole mess.

Thank you.

36. NURabbit

NURabbit

Post removed.
    Once again my deepest apologies and sincere hopes for the success of this project.

37. Helk

Helk

Guys, Shoot bullets from your weapon not the camera. Here's how :

Raycast from the camera forward, and store as camHitPos
    Get the position where the muzzle flash is, store as muzzlePosition

Now subtract camHitPos - MuzPosition and normalize
    Use this as the angles for your bullet or bullet raycast, and it will start at your muzzle and end up where you're aiming.

After you get that working, thrown in extra checks, raycast infront to check for walls or if the angle of incidence is too steep between the camera hit pos and the muzzle, then just use the muzzle angles etc, or use camera angles FROM muzzle position..

lol @ NURabbit

38. SkipKickCrash

SkipKickCrash

I like Helk's idea of shooting from the gun model instead of the camera, could also lead to some interesting game play effects, like the gun wildly shooting all over the floor when the player quickly transitions from a running gait to the standing still / shooting stance.

39. paulygons

paulygons

Maybe this is just me, but the mouse cursor does not get hidden or locked, so if I try to swing my view around quickly, the mouse entirely leaves the browser and heads for my second monitor. I'm running Windows 7 64bit and tried the game in both I.E. 8 and Firefox 3.6.14

40. ubhkid

ubhkid

We've solved the camera shooting issue with the next build we'll be uploading to the beta site. A full list of updates will be on the first post of this thread.

Thanks for your time :)

41. tuckdragon

tuckdragon

found a way to get stuck, u could jump up on a blue dumpster and get over a fence. and then there are noway out of there x)

42. devinrayolsen

devinrayolsen

tuckdragon, we have resolved that issue and a number of others people are re-hashing up, but unfortunately we wont release another update for people to beta with us until we have this first round of issues all nailed down.

With that said, we firmly believe that we have the scoreboard working correctly over the network from both other player kills and barrel kills. We also now have a clear idea as to why spawn death / damage loops keep happening.

I personally have been spending a lot of time running over all the animations and cleaning / building out new stances for better crossFades between them, and say shooting. Currently, our characters will now contain around 100 animations for all weapon types and movement. We all should see a jump in quality for the character controller very shortly.

Once we get these last few issues cleared up we should have a new beta release for everyone to test and get more feed back from.

Thanks all.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  43. GrimWare

GrimWare

You need to set up designated time plays when the developers will play. Everytime I log on and nobody ever has a server running or nobody joins my games.

44. devinrayolsen

devinrayolsen

GrimWare - That is a very good idea.
    Currently we have a development area that we jump on daily/nightly to work out issues while the community is separate from our dev instance. However as we polish lots of these bugs, it would be great to setup times that both community and developers could play at the same time and talk about likes, dislikes, improvements and desired features.

I think we will discuss this tonight.

Thanks.

45. makan

makan

Looks pretty good i like the textures keep up the good work :)

46. TheOneKnownAsMe

TheOneKnownAsMe

Game runs perfectly smooth on my rig, was getting something like 200+ fps with vsync disabled via driver panel settings. As others have mentioned, the game could use some polish here and there, however, it would appear that you're working on that.

Overall, not THE most creative game I've ever seen, but it offered a solid gameplay experience for me, quite impressive for a team of just two guys.

47. cemC

cemC

this is the best time i have ever shoot my firends :p

48. devinrayolsen

devinrayolsen

I just wanted to let everyone know us brothers are still hard at work in polishing the game up.

Recently, we have complied everyone's suggestions about animations and poses and corrected weapon placement across the board. This really eliminates (tested and confirmed) the whole spazing out while quickly shooting weapons and shooting transitions between many other animations. We have also included better NW/NE SW/SE turn animations that keep the upper body and mostly the weapons aiming forward to give a much more smoother character experience.

At the same time we found it was best to contemplate every animation need and build them out along the way. Here is our completed list on animations per controller so far:

You can also see a bullet list of all our updates and fixes for this latest release on the first form thread. We are looking to get feedback on all our changes!

http://www.cssmunch.com (Play the latest release here)

Thanks everyone!

49. Caliber-Mengsk

Caliber-Mengsk

Don't know if it's just me, but my browser (chrome) keeps crashing when clicking the link. Like hard crashing... no coming back, all tabs.

EDIT: Nevermind, apparently it was because I had a youtube video open in a different tab. O-o

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  50. devinrayolsen

devinrayolsen

Hmm, interesting Caliber Mengsk. We will have to try and replicate.