Search Unity

Showcase com.unity.ide.visualstudio: Advanced filters

Discussion in 'Code Editors & IDEs' started by cp-, Aug 25, 2022.

1. cp-

cp-

Hi,

I've created an extension to the visual studio integration package to have finer-grained control over what .asmdefs travel over to the created visual studio solution in form of projects.

The reasoning behind it is simple: The more packages or assembly definitions you have in your project the more sluggish your visual studio experience becomes.
    This is most notably on startup but also when attaching visual studio to e.g. trigger break points.

With this fork you can select exactly what source code you want to be able to see (and step through and debug) in visual studio and reduce the generated vs projects to just the few you actually need. Hooray for lowering mental load :)

Here's a simplified example with just a few packages and .asmdefs:

upload_2022-8-25_9-21-30.png

upload_2022-8-25_9-23-28.png

I would've gladly issued this as a pull request but as the sourcecode for com.unity.ide.visualstudio is not openly hosted, I created a fork of the auto-generated needle-mirror of the package:
    https://github.com/krisrok/com.unity.ide.visualstudio/tree/feature/advanced_package_filter

Deleted User likes this.
  2. cp-

cp-

@John_MSFT Hi, I just thought I'd tag you here because you seem to be the right guy for this.

The
    CONTRIBUTING.md
    reads
    ## Once you have a change ready following these ground rules. Simply make a pull request
    , after all ;)

Deleted User likes this.
  3. cp-

cp-

Thaina likes this.
  4. cp-

cp-

Updated to 2.0.17

5. MiTschMR

MiTschMR

That’s some nice stuff! Would love to see that integrated into the official package.