Search Unity

Question Colours of Lighting Settings do not .Lerp on Oculus build

Discussion in 'VR' started by SP4ZE, Mar 1, 2023.

1. SP4ZE

SP4ZE

Heyy, so im working on day / night cycle. Which does the following - Lerps the camera background color - Lerps the fog color - lerps the ambient color - changes light intensity - changes reflection intensity (RenderSettings.reflectionIntensity) Script works fine in editor. However on Oculus Quest 2 only the light inensity changes. No color lerp Which settings should i toggle to possibly get it to work? tysm in advance

Main part of code
    Code (CSharp):
    1. transform.Rotate(1f, 0, 0);
    2. dirLight.intensity += change;
    3. cam.backgroundColor = Color.Lerp(nightColor, dayColor, lerpProgress);
    4. RenderSettings.fogColor = Color.Lerp(nightColor, dayColor, lerpProgress);
    5. RenderSettings.ambientSkyColor = Color.Lerp(Color.black, Color.gray, lerpProgress);
    6. RenderSettings.reflectionIntensity += change;
    Screenshot 2023-03-01 at 6.30.37 PM.png Screenshot 2023-03-01 at 6.32.08 PM.png

2. DevDunk

DevDunk

I am guessing it also doesn't work on a PC build.
    When in editor, the lighting settings apply realtime. In builds you need to recalculate the lighting settings with DynamicGI.UpdateEnvironment or something similar. Note that performance will suffer

SP4ZE and nilagard like this.
  3. nilagard

nilagard

In alot of open world games you will see that the "Sun" or the light from the sky will be either static or update in stacatto. Once every 2-3 seconds or more. This is because recalculating the entire scene with thousands of gameobjects will be so taxing that every game where the lightwork is heavy it would require much tougher pc setups for everyone that is playing, which means less players to buy their games. I would strongly suggest you to find another route to take when working with lights.

SP4ZE and DevDunk like this.
  4. DevDunk

DevDunk

Yepp, I think faking it with a shader is probably the most performant

SP4ZE likes this.
  5. SP4ZE

SP4ZE

Oh, never knew this existed. Hopefully it works for VR, and will do the job, thx a lot!

DevDunk likes this.
  6. SP4ZE

SP4ZE

Mine updates every 0.25 seconds, and shadows distance is very low, making only a small portion of the world casting shadows. But thats a lot for clarifying! I will need to optimise it