Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Colour accuracy and illumination

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by abhishekdtlabz, Nov 9, 2023.

1. abhishekdtlabz

abhishekdtlabz

Hello guys! I am building this game and its kinda minimal with more focus being on colours. I want to know how colour accurate unity is in its toolset and what should i know when attempting to get the perfect colours for my terrain and materials.
    Based on initial tests, the colours on the terrain felt very off, tried turning off GI, light probes, skybox, it was still very off. I'm using URP and this game is aimed at mobile phones.

2. kdgalla

kdgalla

What does "perfect" mean for you?

3. Smith_076

Smith_076

I have a palette of colours, I want the colours in unity to match those, in my terrain most importantly and then other lit materials

4. kdgalla

kdgalla

I just noticed you are using URP, which I don't really have much experience with. They wrote a big book about it though. That might help: https://forum.unity.com/threads/new...pipeline-for-advanced-unity-creators.1323774/

Either way, lighting will change your colors, obviously, so the things that have the biggest effect are the lights in the scene (I'd just go with one single directional light) and the environment lighting.

environment lighting is outlined here:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/lighting-window.html

If your colors are too white and washed-out or too dark overall then adjust your main light. environment light adds to your overall light level too, but also controls how light or dark the places where the directional light does not reach, so increasing the environment light and lower the main light will lower the overall contrast of your resulting image.

Post processing will change your colors too, so you might want to turn that off while you're working.

One thing I did for my game is write a custom shader that severely lessens the impact of light on my materials. Writing a custom lighting model in Shadergraph is still pretty rough, though. I attempted to convert my shader to URP once and never got it to work properly.

5. Smith_076

Smith_076

Thanks! That was helpful @kdgalla. When does one start adding post processing to the scene? what do you prefer to do?

6. kdgalla

kdgalla

You can add or remove it whenever you want.

The idea is that it can be confusing to get the results you want because there are multiple factors that can change the result. It makes it easier to work if you can remove some of these factors and just focus on the fundamentals. Then you can reintegrate the extras later on.

Also, it's useful to see your scene both with post processing and without, so that way can really see what effect the post processing has on the result.