Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Colorful FX | Post-Processing Effects and Photoshop-like Color Correction Tools

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Chman, Jul 12, 2012.

1. zhuchun

zhuchun

Hi, can colorful fx simulate bloom effect? I can't find it in doc.

2. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Nope, there are so many good bloom effects already that I didn't feel the need to add another one :)

3. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Here comes Colorful FX 4.0 and it's a massive update ! I also reworked the documentation from scratch and built a small website :)

Edit: click me for an easier to read changelog.

Changelog (4.0) :
    • Important: This major update breaks compatibility with previous versions. Please refer to the documentation if you need to update from an earlier version.
    • Modified: Complete code refactoring, cleanup, fixes & tweaks. Makes use of new Unity 5 features when available. Some effects have been optimized as well.
    • Modified: Re-organized the "Component -> Colorful" menu.
    • Modified: Rewrote the "Halftone" effect from scratch. It looks way, way better now.
    • Modified: Rewrote the "Levels" effect from scratch.
    • Modified: The "Kuwahara" radius limit has been bumped to 6.
    • Added: Tooltips (almost) everywhere.
    • Added: Unity 5.1+ users, you can click the top-right help button on Colorful components at any time to jump to the documentation.
    • Added: "LoFi Palette" effect, with 31 presets to give a retro look to your game.
    • Added: "Shadows, Midtones, Highlights" effect (lift/gamma/gain or ASC CDL), also known as the ultimate color correction tool.
    • Added: "Dynamic Lookup", a fast and powerful color corrector using a RGB cube.
    • Added: "Gradient Ramp (Dynamic)", an alternative to "Gradient Ramp" using the builtin gradient editor instead of a texture ramp.
    • Added: High quality "Gaussian Blur" effect.
    • Added: Edge aware, "Bilateral Gaussian Blur" effect.
    • Added: "Grainy Blur", where blur meets noise.
    • Added: "Lens Distortion Blur", an alternative to "Radial Blur" with barrel distortion.
    • Added: "Directional Blur" effect.
    • Added: "Wave Distortion" effect.
    • Added: "Lookup Filter 3D", faster LUT color grading for Shader Model 3.0+ compatible hardware.
    • Added: "Vintage (Fast)", variant of the "Vintage" effect for Shader Model 3.0+ compatible hardware.
    • Added: "Pixel Matrix" effect.
    • Added: "Noise" (monochrome or colored) to add some fine grain to your renders.
    • Added: "S-Curve Contrast", a powerful color correction operator.
    • Added: "Dithering", a fast ordered dithering effect.
    • Added: "Stroke", an artistic effect to turn your renders into brush strokes.
    • Added: "Histogram", a debug graph with Luminance, RGB, Red, Green and Blue view modes.
    • Added: "Vignette" option for "Radial Blur" so you can progressively blur toward the edges of the screen.
    • Added: An alternative algorithm for the "Sharpen" filter.
    • Added: "Wiggle" has been improved. You can now set the Amplitude and it also comes with a slightly slower but better looking mode (optional).
    • Added: A "Shape" slider on the "LED" filter to adjust the LEDs look.
    • Added: "Fast Vignette" now comes with a color mode.
    • Added: "Amount" slider for the "Posterize" effect.
    • Fixed: "Analog TV" and "Frost" not working correctly on some iOS devices.
    • Fixed: "Negative" now works as expected in Linear color space.
    • Fixed: Compilation error on PS4.
    • Misc: Brand new, faster and more complete documentation, as well as a dedicated website !
    Changelog (4.0.1) :
    • Fixed: Performance issue with "Lookup Filter (3D)", "Vintage (Fast)" and "LoFi Palette".
    Version 4.1 is already on track and will come with a lot of new effects as well !

Like I said in a previous post, this is a paid upgrade but it's free if you've bought Colorful FX in the last 6 months or so.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
    moure and zhuchun like this.
  4. syntystudios

syntystudios

Just upgraded to the new asset! Well worth it, keep up the good work :)

Chman likes this.
  5. zhuchun

zhuchun

WOW! What a big upgrade! Thanks :)
    "Shadows, Midtones, Highlights" is pretty cool!
    I like that new "wiggle", previous version looks a bit unnatural somewhat.
    "Noise" is nice, finally I don't have to add "Analog TV" for it.
    BTW, does API changes a lot?

6. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

And more is coming ! 4.0 was supposed to be even bigger but I decided to split the amount of new features accross a few updates to release it faster.
    Not that much but it has been made cleaner and more consistent. See this for a quick upgrade guide from previous versions and this page for scripting :)

zhuchun likes this.
  7. SAOTA

SAOTA

Awesome. Where do I check my purchase date.
    Very excited to try.

8. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

I'm not sure if there's a way to know from the store to be honest but you should have received an invoice by email when you bought it. Or just go to the store and see if it asks you to pay for the upgrade or does it for free when you add it to your cart :)

9. moure

moure

Thanks a lot for the free upgrade opportunity, love the lo-fi filters, and also good choice on creating subcategories(much easier to browse through all these filters)
    Here is a small gif captured with your gif recorder script featuring also typogenic and levels/low-fi filter
    http://gfycat.com/JubilantLiveBandicoot

Its an overlay for a twitch streamed pirate themed D&D rpg :)

10. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Looks great ! What's the stream address ?

11. moure

moure

ill let you know when the stream begins, it will be in 10-15 days. All players are starcraft-related personalities, i dont know if the dungeon master has done anything like that before.

Chman likes this.
  12. KhaledM

KhaledM

Hi again @Chman
    Thank you for the massive upgrade, in past I asked you about vignette with radial blur and you were very kind to implement it

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/co...r-correction-tools.143417/page-5#post-2190839

now I want to ask you if you could make the vignette as an image-based mask using alpha channel, is that possible?
    and will it be better than current vignette performance wise?

another question, I know this could be a long shot but, is it possible to make the blur layer-based, for example only applied on the Streets layer, so the blur will only be applied on the objects on the Streets layer

Thanks

13. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

You mean using an image mask for the radial blur vignette ? Or for a general vignette effect ? As for performances, you wouldn't see any difference (1 texture fetch vs a few simple maths operations).

There are three ways I can think of to exclude/include objects from a post processing pass in Unity (that work in Forward and Deferred) :
    • Using the global alpha channel as a mask but it requires shader modifications and it's generally impractical (that's how the old Glow effect works)
    • Using RenderWithShader to build a texture mask and use it in the post processing effect
    • Using a multi-camera setup
    The RenderWithShader method works ok but it will slow down the rendering and can add a lot of draw calls. The multi-camera setup is the recommended one in this case and is the fastest (and you can do it right now, no need to modify the shader code).

So unless I can find a nice and fast way to do layer-based post-processing for all Colorful effects without the need of a multi-camera setup, you won't see such a feature included. There could be a way to do it using Command Buffers but I haven't investigated it yet.

14. KhaledM

KhaledM

Thanks for your reply

Yes

can you give me a link on how to setup the multi-camera solution?

15. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

The Camera page in the official manual would be a good start and comes with an example. Points of interest in this case are Clear Flags (Depth Only), Culling Mask and Depth. Keep in mind that there currently is a bug with the Deferred rendering path (see this topic).

KhaledM likes this.
  16. alllen

alllen

Great package, finally updated to the newest version and I'm getting this on some shaders:
    http://i.imgur.com/xhkjeq1.png

Everything else seems to work fine though.

17. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Oops, sorry about that. Somehow I missed these. They'll be fixed in the next update !

18. qugon

qugon

Hi there! I'm having trouble getting the Glitch effect to show on iphone6, is this a known issue? Or am I doing something wrong? The screen goes black whenever it's turned on. Yet it plays fine on iphone5 ios8 and ipad2 ios9 :O

19. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

No, it's not a known issue :(

What happens if you switch to GLES instead of Metal ? Does it work ?

20. qugon

qugon

Hi, we just tried using GLES, but the problem persists. Any ideas? We're not quite sure where to start :(

21. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Well, to be perfectly honest with you I'm not sure either. It doesn't make any sense. And I don't have an iPhone 6 to test on unfortunately so it makes this bug a lot more difficult to track down :/

Is there anything of interest in the console ? Warnings or errors when you run it on the iPhone 6 ?

22. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Ok, I think I know what could be the problem. I'll send you a PM with a patch for you to test asap !

23. hierro__

hierro__

Hi, i have this error on builc compile : "
    Shader error in 'Hidden/Colorful/GrainyBlur': unable to unroll loop, loop does not appear to terminate in a timely manner (1024 iterations) at line 45 (on d3d9)

Compiling Fragment program"

What is this related to ? thank you very much and compliments for stunning Asset

24. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Hello,

Yes this is a known DX9 bug (it also affects 3 or 4 other effects I think), I've actually fixed it already but the update hasn't gone live yet. Version 4.1 with new effects and a bunch of fixes (this one included) will be released soon, but if you really need a fix today drop me an email or a PM :)

25. colin299

colin299

Hello,
    I tried to animate enum "Mode" for "Strokes" effect, using Unity's animation window.
    but it won't record any change to the enum "Mode" (while bool,float,color works fine, they will turn red if recorded)

is animating enum fields not suppose to work?

I tried to look into the custom inspector script,
    Code (CSharp):
    1. SerializedProperty p_Mode;
    2. p_Mode = serializedObject.FindProperty("Mode");
    3. EditorGUILayout.PropertyField(p_Mode);
    seems enum field are handled exactly the same as bool,float,color,
    not sure why only enum can't be recorded.

Thanks for your help. And also, great asset!
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    edit1:
    field that won't record nor add to animation window:
    int,
    enum(maybe enum are just int inside Unity)

field that record as usual:
    float,
    Color,
    Texture
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    edit2:
    found out the most basic script like this,
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    4. public class Debug_AnimateIntEnum : MonoBehaviour {
    6.     public int animateThisIntPlease = 1; //this int can't
    7.     public AnyEnum animateThisEnumPlease = AnyEnum.Default; //this enum can't
    8.     public float animateThisFloat = 2f; //this float can record
    9.     public enum AnyEnum
    10.     {
    11.         Default,
    12.         A,
    13.         B,
    14.         C
    15.     }
    16. }
    int & enum are still not able to record.(seems it is Unity limitation)

any workaround with this?
    because my team's animator really want to animate int & enum inside Unity's animation window.

Thanks again.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
  26. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

It's an Unity limitation, you can't animate ints & enums (which are the same thing, really) via the Animation window. The only workaround I can think of is to animate them via a script.

If you really want to animate it via the Animation window, you could create a simple script with float values that you cast or round to ints and set these ints in the original Colorful component. Your artist can then animate this script, it should work fine.

colin299 likes this.
  27. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Big update available ! As usual, don't forget to check out the documentation. A formatted version of the changelog is also available here.

Formatted version of the changelog

Changelog (4.1) :
    • Added: A highly customizable "Comic Book" effect. Works great with untextured or low-poly scenes !
    • Added: "Letterbox", to add letter or pillarboxing to the render. Very handy for cinematics, can be animated as well.
    • Added: "TV Vignette", a new ultra fast vignette with a more natural shape. Less customizable than the other vignette effects but looks great.
    • Added: "Contrast Gain", a smart contrast adjustment effect. More limited than "S-Curve Contrast" but faster.
    • Added: "Smart Saturation", a port of the "Sat vs Sat" operator from Davinci Resolve, where you control the saturation using a curve to saturate according to the current saturation.
    • Added: "Luminance Contribution" to the "Noise" effect to reduce noise visibility in luminous areas.
    • Added: "Amount" sliders to "Gaussian Blur" and "Bilateral Gaussian Blur".
    • Modified: "Lookup Texture 3D", "Vintage (Fast)" and "LoFi Palette" now work on mobile platforms ! If you used any of them, please see the Upgrade Guide in the user manual. As a result, the slower "Lookup Filter" and "Vintage" effects have been deprecated.
    • Fixed: "Noise" not working correctly on some mobile devices.
    • Fixed: Small loss of detail with the "Hue, Saturation, Value" when HDR is enabled.
    • Fixed: Compilation error on DirectX 9 for some of the blur shaders.
    • Fixed: "Photo Filter" was broken.
    • Misc: More editor UI optimizations & tweaks.
    • Misc: Optimized the "Noise" effect ("RGB" mode).
    Quick screenshot of the Comic Book filter applied to a scene by Manufactura K4 :

moure likes this.
  28. colin299

colin299

hello,
    What will happen if I use a custom 3D Texture on a mobile device that is OpenGLES 2.0(which do not support tex3D() in cg).

29. isykaleo

isykaleo

Hi there,

Is there a possible way of tweaking a photo smoothening effect with the current preset?
    (a.k.a. to reduce noise and spots from images while still maintianing sharpeness around edges, see attached image)

The cloeset effect we've achieved is with the convolution 3x3 setting, but we wish the smoothing effect can be stronger.

Hope to hear back from you. Many thanks for your magnificent work again!
    Best regard,
    Isaac

Attached Files:

30. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

What do you mean by 'custom 3D Texture' ? A custom made Texture3D object or a LUT strip ? The LUT strip will work just fine even on mobile, as these three effects now come with a fallback shader for platforms that don't support tex3d() and it's still quite fast (faster than the deprecated lookup filter) :)

colin299 likes this.
  31. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

You could try the Bilateral Gaussian Blur effect, it's an edge-aware gaussian blur filter that relies on the depth buffer to detect edges.

32. colin299

colin299

Yes, i mean supply a "LUT strip(256x16)", not Texture3D object.
    --------
    because we target OpenGLES2.0 devices, before ColorfulFx 4.1, every LUT(512x512) will increase our app size by 0.8MB, so we must reduce the number of possible LUT in our game, but ColorfulFx 4.1 seems to provide a solution to us, which enable us to put much more LUTs in our game(each LUT strip is 12kb).

my question is, when the device do not support tex3d() in cg, or user force compatibility
    which of the following will happen?

(1) ColorfulFx will create a temporary 512x512 LUT in C#, which base on user's input LUT strip(256x16), and supply to the lookupfilter2D shader.

(2) ColorfulFx will just pass the original user LUT strip(256x16) to lookupfilter2D shader, and the shader itself will simulate cg's tex3d() using some more calculation with tex2d(), and it is faster than the deprecate one.

(3) both (1) & (2) are wrong

I have read the source code, and I guess the answer is (2),
    ColorfulFx is my main source of learning post process coding.Currently I can only code simple post process like vignette,distortion,gray scale etc...
    so when I read the shader code inside LookUpFilter2D, I really have no idea what is happening.

33. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

This one. You'll find an internal_tex3d() function in LookupFilter2D.shader that emulates tex3d() and is a lot faster than the older squared LUT.

The code in LookupFilter2D.shader is a bit of a mess because of all the variants (I didn't want to use shader keywords because Unity has a fixed amount of these available) so you can skip most of it in your learning process. In case you're wondering, the difference between internal_tex3d() and internal_tex3d_nn() is that the second one does point filtering on the LUT which is used for the LoFiPalette effect ("nn" stands for "nearest neighbor" in this case).

colin299 likes this.
  34. cbc550

cbc550

First off, I wanted to say I really love this plugin. It opens up a lot of potential for me creatively.

I was wondering if there is something I can adjust or something you can add that would allow me to make the Analog TV effect's scanlines be vertical instead of horizontal? Or maybe just in general let me change the angle of the scanlines? The project I'm working on messes around with the orientation of the device while this effect is active so this would be a very helpful feature. Thanks!

35. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

I'm glad you like it :)
    Using vertical instead of horizontal scanlines is a simple coordinate change in the shader. I can send you the line to modify via PM if you're interested. Or if you need to be able to switch from one mode to another at runtime I could write you a customized version of the effect. Let me know !

Using an arbitrary angle... It's doable but not as easy to implement as it stands because the code was written and optimized for non-rotated scanlines. TBH that's not something I plan to add as this is a very specific feature that most people will never need and it would add a few instructions to the shader (you're the first one to ask about it in 3 years).

36. AwDogsGo2Heaven

AwDogsGo2Heaven

Hello, I'm trying to use the 'Glitch' effect in the newest release on iOS 8, iPhone 6 plus, and it works in editor but on phone the screen grows black with what appears to be a particle on the bottom left that is pinking spitting out pixels. Its completely odd. No errors are being displayed in console either. I really need this effect, do you have any idea what the issue could be?

Thanks,

37. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

I'm not sure why it happens on iPhone 6/6S and Plus when it works on older iPhones (works on my 5) and iPads. I've been trying to figure it out with someone else this month but we still haven't found a solution. So honestly, I don't know what's causing it yet. I definitely want to fix it but not having an iPhone 6 myself makes it hard to debug... When I get a potential fix, can I send you a patch in PM for you to test ? The more testers with iPhone 6/6S, the easier it'll be to find a solution.

38. AwDogsGo2Heaven

AwDogsGo2Heaven

Sure! It's reassuring I'm not the only one, as a heads up are there any other effects with this issue yet? Also, does your 5 use the Metal API? I can't remember when the Metal API was released but I believe it was 5s. That might be related if you have a regular 5.

39. AwDogsGo2Heaven

AwDogsGo2Heaven

I did a test, if I force the API to use Opengel ES 3.0 it works. Metal API would still be preferable as it is faster on the latest iphones but I at least have a temp fix. If you get any ideas why it might not be working with METAL, send me up a patch and I'll try it out.

Thanks again!

40. AwDogsGo2Heaven

AwDogsGo2Heaven

OK...I lied some... It only partly works forcing it to Open GL 3.0. YUV Color bleeding doesn't seem to be happening.

41. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Other Colorful effects seem to work fine on iPhone 6/6S. AFAIK Glitch is the only buggy one.

Thanks for testing with GLES3 ! I'll contact you as soon as I have a potential fix. It might take a few days as I'm away right now. Worst case scenario I'll rewrite the shader from scratch using a different algorithm.

42. AwDogsGo2Heaven

AwDogsGo2Heaven

Thanks Chman, I'm in no major hurry over here, I'll test whatever you throw at me.

43. Demigiant

Demigiant

While making tests for a cyberpunk visual novel I'm gonna make, I upgraded to the new version of Colorful and now love it even more. Ohmygod it's so cool (I actually overused it a little, but it's just a silly/weird in-game teaser), and not only for games, obviously.

YouTube video

7punk_pilot_teaser_01_sml.png

moure and Chman like this.
  44. AwDogsGo2Heaven

AwDogsGo2Heaven

Chman unfortunately it looks like I'm having problems with the Frost effect too. I will send you a screen shot in a private message.

45. sidneytam

sidneytam

hi Chman,

I have multi-camera in my project, can i apply the effects in specific 1 or 2 cameras?

Thanks alot

Sidney

46. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

You can, the same way you can with any other post processing effects in Unity. It does come with a few limitations though. An effect will apply to a specific camera and all the cameras rendered before it. For instance, if you have the following setup (in rendering order) :
    • Camera 1 (no effect)
    • Camera 2 (black & white effect)
    • Camera 3 (no effect)
    Camera 1 and 2 will be affected by the black & white effect, but Camera 3 won't.

Also, multi-camera + image effects is buggy with the deferred rendering path (see this topic).

47. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Hey guys, I just posted a quick patch ! Thanks to the people who helped me do some testing on iPhone 6+ !

Changelog (4.1.1) :
    • Added: "Vertical Scanlines" options to "Analog TV".
    • Fixed: "Frost" not working correctly on iPhone 6/6S.
    • Fixed: "Glitch" not working correctly on iPhone 6/6S.

48. Demigiant

Demigiant

Yes! Vertical scanlines! Just what I needed! I bow to you as usual, or at least until my back will hold :)

49. magique

magique

I'm upgrading a project to Unity 5.2 from 4.3. I was using the old deprecated version of Colorful and had some camera animations applying the Radial Blur effect. So, a couple of issues in upgrading that I haven't been able to resolve so far. First, my animations that referenced the old Radial Blur are now showing Mono Behavior.Amount (Missing!). So, I try to remove that property so I can add the new version, but it doesn't let me delete the property. Second, I add the new Radial Blur effect to the camera, but when I try to Add Property to the animation, it doesn't even have the effect available to select for animating. Any ideas on how to resolve these?

50. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Hello,

Because Colorful 4 is a complete rewrite, things have been moved around a bit. First of all, all effects are now in a common namespace to avoid class name collisions with other assets, so as explained in the upgrade guide older Colorful settings won't be saved and can't be updated as is. As for the RadialBlur Amount property, it's been renamed to Strength, as you can see in the editor UI.
    That's an annoying Unity bug unfortunately, which is why you need to remove any instance of your scripts in your scenes before deleting them. The only workaround is to re-import the older script, remove the property and delete the script.