Search Unity

Colorful FX | Post-Processing Effects and Photoshop-like Color Correction Tools

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Chman, Jul 12, 2012.

1. rerwandi

rerwandi

Hey, can i make a revealing scene using this post-fx ?
    I use CC_Threshold and animating it but its make my objects white.
    is it possible to make similar effect like threshold but my objects still same ?

2. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

I'm not sure I understand. You want to fade a scene using the Threshold effect ? That won't work as this effect will only return black or white depending on the pixel value and the one you give.

Colorful is a collection of post-processing effects, it's not meant to be used for scene transitions (although some effects could, but definitely not Threshold).

3. Fish_Cakes

Fish_Cakes

Hey,
    I downloaded your great plugin and implementation was a breeze. I have one issue though. On my iPad mini (first generation), the moment I run my game with any of the effects/filters, the FPS plummets to between 4 and 5 FPS while the same scene without any of the effects runs at 30FPS (I didn't remove the cap at 30). I've tried disabling the one directional light in the scene and as you say, each effect is only one draw call (I am only trying between 1 and 3 at a time, these being, CC_LookupTexture, CC_FastVignette and tried with desaturate on and off and CC_Blend).

Do you have any suggestions on what can be done to fix this?

4. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Even though the iPad Mini 1 hardware is getting old it shouldn't be that slow. I have an iPad 2 here (same hardware if I'm not mistaken) and although there's a performance hit it's not that brutal. How are the performances using the default effects (from the Image Effects package) like Sepia, Vignetting ?

5. Fish_Cakes

Fish_Cakes

Hi Chman,

So this morning I tried out your suggestion of trying the image effects like sepia and vignetting and it worked. Now I was trying it in a different scene so I tried your plugin again and there was no performance hit. I went back to my scene and saw the camera's Clear Flags was set to Depth Only. Changed that, deployed and now there is no performance hit (scene running without your plugin 29-30fps. Scene running with your plugin 29-30fps). I was about to start crying and cussing out my iPad for having useless hardware. Thanks for the suggestion (and telling me about your iPad 2).

6. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

That's good to hear :) Although it surprises me that a Depth Only Camera would tank the framerate so much on mobile... I'm not sure why that is.

7. malyna

malyna

Hello,
    Is it possible to put Colorfull effects on top of Unity GUI ?
    Have someone tested the performance of Analog_TV effect on mobile devices? IOS and Android?
    Thanks for information!
    Asset looks really nice :)

8. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Like any other image effects, yes ! The Canvas' Render Mode should be set to Screen Space - Camera or World Space. Screen Space - Overlay will not work because it's drawn after all the cameras have been rendered.
    Analog TV is fine performance-wise, but there's currently a bug on certain iOS devices (the iPhone 6 comes to mind) where the effect doesn't fully work as intended. I'm looking into a solution.

9. willtrax

willtrax

FYI for the Vintage shader it looks like you're manipulating strings in the OnRenderImage function every frame which is causing garbage collection issues. You can verify this in the profiler. This probably needs to be reworked so the lookupTexture is only set once and the string call+Resource load is bypassed thereafter.

10. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Hmm you're right, somehow I missed this one. I'll come up with a better solution for the next update.

11. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

New update :)

Changelog (3.2) :
    • Added: IsActive public property to the "Glitch" effect to detect when it's on or off.
    • Fixed : Fixed a small "leak" in the "Vintage" effect. No more GC allocations on every frame.
    • Fixed : Compilation issue when upgrading to Unity 5.1 from an earlier Unity version (UnityEditor API change).
    • Misc: Better handling of shader includes.
    • Misc: Made the components easier to extend / inherit.

12. Sonoshee

Sonoshee

Hey, back again with another question. The Glitch effect ( and most likely all other Colorful effects) are applied on the whole view, in my case I have two cameras one for the playfield and another for the HUD, I want to glitch the HUD but I noticed the playfield is also included in the process.
    In summary, how to apply an effect per camera ? What should I change regarding the camera/shader settings ?

13. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

AFAIK there's no "easy" solution. Colorful effects behave like standard image effects so the same rules apply. If you want an image effect to be applied to a camera alone (without the content of the cameras behind it) you'll have to render your camera separately with a transparent background and blit it back on top the other cameras...

14. Sonoshee

Sonoshee

Can you please further explain the last line, maybe some code snippets? I was thinking that this could be achieved using render textures, I'm just very unfamiliar with these concepts.

15. KhaledM

KhaledM

Hi @Chman
    Is there a way to make Radial Blur affect only part of the screen, please have a look at the attached image, I only want the radial blur to take effect on the white area

Thanks,

Attached Files:

16. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Hey ! Sorry for the late reply, somehow I missed the "new post" notification.

Right now, no, there isn't a way to constrain Radial Blur with a mask. But it's a good idea, I'll add it to the next update ! Would you prefer an image mask or a procedural vignette (like Fast & Contrast Vignette) ?

17. KhaledM

KhaledM

Waiting for the update :D

I am going to use it in a mobile game, so performance is priority, but I guess image mask will give me better control

Thanks

P.S: Check your PM

18. rozred

rozred

It does not seem to work on PlayStation 4. Are there ways?

19. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Hard to say, I don't have any way to test it consoles but I don't see any reason why it would fail on PS4. I'm going to need more info if you want help... Any error in the console ? On Colorful shaders ? Does the effect disable themselves on start ?

20. aetherborn

aetherborn

I have a couple questions.

1. Can I apply these effects to separate game objects, or does it have to be applied to the entire screen (attached to the camera) to work.

2. I saw nothing resembling a photoshop style overlay blending OPTION -not MODE. Basically, I would like to purchase your software, but i was looking specifically for an effect that i could apply to a 2d sprite that would NOT be premultiplied or anything. Just a mode where a SOLID color could be selected and "overlayed" over the sprite so the sprites opacity remains the same, also, the amount or opacity/transparency of the OVERLAY -not the sprite, could be toggled.

Please let me know if there is anything like that that I have overlooked. Thanks.

21. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

These are fullscreen post-processing effects, you can't apply per-object effects. Not out of the box anyway. I believe it makes your second question irrelevant in this case.

So Colorful will most likely not fit your needs, sorry !

22. aetherborn

aetherborn

hi, i purchased your colorful effects anyway (for the full screen rendering) do they not work on sprites or something, because nothing is happening when i add the filters to the main camera.

23. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

They will work with anything rendered by the camera with the exception of 'Screen Space Overlay' canvas. 3D objects, sprites, camera UI will be affected.

So I'm not sure why it's not working for you. I'll need mode info to be able help you.

Unity version ? What's your scene setup like, are you doing anything out of the ordinary ? Are you using a multi-camera setup ? What effect isn't working for you ?

24. aetherborn

aetherborn

No effect is working. I've added the colorful as a component to the main camera and tried to toggle just about every effect. it wont work. do i have to make the sprites a certain kind of setting? I'm using Unity 5. There is only 1 camera.

25. aetherborn

aetherborn

k, nevermind this post. i didn't realize that this stuff isn't rendered until runtime. sorry. it works fine.

26. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

The effect should be visible in the game view, in the editor, even when not playing... I'm not sure why you're experiencing this behavior, you're the first person to report this issue o_O

Colorful effects are standard post processing effects (exactly like the ones from Unity). If you have the same issue with standard effects then something's wrong with your project setup.

27. aetherborn

aetherborn

define effects. because I have other effects that i can edit without having to run the project. another plugin in i bought is sprite color effects and it works without having to start the game. I'm not sure what is going on, but nevertheless, because unity allows you to manipulate properties while the game is running, i couuld always do that that. but, if youre saying it shouldn't be doing this, i guess i should give you some more info. what else do you need to know?

28. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

By effects I mean "post processing effects", the ones you apply to a camera (fullscreen effects, if you prefer).

What happens if you import the standard effect package and add - let say - the sepia effect to your camera (Component -> Image Effects -> Color Adjustments -> Sepia Tone) ? Does it work in the Game View without switching to Play Mode ?

29. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Hey guys,

So these days I'm working on Colorful 4 (ETA this summer). It brings a lot of new features, effects, optimizations, brand new documentation with videos, more help topics etc. But I'm being limited by a lot of dumb legacy code and a few questionable decisions I took when I started the project (3 years ago !) and I plan to rewrite most of the code.

Because Colorful 4 will be a big major release, I'm thinking maybe it's time to break compatibility with previous versions of Colorful, meaning you won't be able to simply update from the store and roll with it, you'll have to reassign the effects and rework your custom scripts if you used Colorful effects via scripting. It's something I'll have to do one day, and I may as well do it for the 4.0 release.

This rewrite will bring better performances in some cases, namespace'd code, way better scripting APIs and would be easier to maintain on my side.

So I'm asking you, Colorful users, how you feel about that. Worst case scenario, you can stick to the 3.x branch and only switch to Colorful 4 for your next project.

There's something else I'd like to talk about. Please read till the end : because version 4.0 will truly be a big update and I've been supporting this asset for 3 years, I'm currently considering making it a paid upgrade (for a small fee, probably less than half the current price). Wait. Before you get your pitchforks, if I decide to go on with this idea I will set a large grace period (between 6 to 12 months, not sure yet), so the upgrade will be free for anyone who bought the asset in the last 6-12 months. Colorful 3.x would still be available on the store if you don't want to upgrade so you'd still have access to it.

Thoughts ?

SAOTA likes this.
  30. ZJP

ZJP

Go for it.

31. angelodelvecchio

angelodelvecchio

this asset worths every penny
    many thanks !

32. Elzbach

Elzbach

I'm kinda on the fence about getting this. Do any of the shaders stimulate a glow effect on objects well? They all look amazing nonetheless.

33. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Sorry, no glow effect in the package. I never deemed it necessary with all the glow shaders on the store, on the web or even in the standard asset pack :)

34. CaseyB

CaseyB

I am using your Frost effect (looks absolutely AMAZING!) and it works perfectly in the editor and on OSX but when I try to push it to iOS it doesn't work at all. Is there a setting or something I'm missing?

35. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

No, there's a shader bug with Frost and AnalogTV on iOS. I have it fixed on my end so it will be released in the next (massive) update. In the meantime if you need it right away, drop me an email or a PM and I'll send the fix your way :)

36. mensch-mueller

mensch-mueller

Fine bought it in May. ;)
    Cheers
    Michael

37. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

Seems perfectly reasonable to me. I bought Colorful fairly recently, so I probably fall into that grace period, but even if I didn't/don't, I would much prefer to pay an incremental amount for the upgrade, if it helps you continue to provide your excellent assets and support.

38. lildub

lildub

Hey, does any one know if there is a way to get this to work with the ovr camera plugin? or unity 5?

Cheers,
    Lou

39. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

It works fine with Unity 5 (Personal and Pro). It works with the OVR as well although you'll probably have to forget about any effect that distorts the screen for obvious reasons. Other than that, all the color correction effects work great.

40. MurrayIRC

MurrayIRC

Is there something with Mac systems that causes Kuwahara not to work? I'm on the latest model macbook pro and i'm getting weird artifacts and none of the actual effect when using the Kuwahara shader.

41. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Could you post a screenshot ? I'm about to submit Colorful 4, if there's a bug with the Kuwahara effect I'd like to fix it before I send the package :)

42. MurrayIRC

MurrayIRC

Here, included the inspector window to show the level i was using. for different levels the problem persists.

Attached Files:

43. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Huh. That's... wrong. Thanks for the report, I'll look into it and keep you posted !

44. MurrayIRC

MurrayIRC

Thank you, that was really fast!! :) Everything else looks and works great.

45. Sonoshee

Sonoshee

Hello Chman, is there any way to modify the precedence order of effects?
    I apply the Grayscale and Glitch effects at the same time, the result is a grayscaled glitched screen rather than a glitched grayscaled screen ( i.e. a screen completely black & white rather than a screen black & white with some RGB fragments that naturally result from the Glitch)
    In case you didn't understand what I mean let me know so I can further explain.

46. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

That's because the glitch effect separates color channels (Interference mode) and/or does YUV bleeding (Tearing mode + YUV Color Bleeding option). So if you put the Glitch effect after Grayscale you'll see colors unless you use Tearing only without YUV Color Bleeding. Or you can put the Grayscale effect after Glitch and everything will be black & white. Effects are applied in the order you add them. You can change this order by moving them (right click the title and Move Up / Move Down). I hope that answers your question !

47. Sonoshee

Sonoshee

wow it's that simple! I was afraid I needed to get my hands dirty by adding some code.
    Thanks the overall result is more juicy and Colorful!

48. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Quick post to let you know that Colorful 4 is currently in the review queue and should be available in a few days.

I'll post the (massive) changelog, website and new documentation as soon as it's available :)

Regarding my previous post on the 4.0 upgrade, I set a fairly large grace period (180 days) !

syntystudios and moure like this.
  49. zhuchun

zhuchun

Hi, I have an idea. It seems lookup filter can use a texture to make same result like lots of others combined, so can we have a script to export all image effects to one single LUT, thus we can optimize drawcalls very easy. Is that possible? :)

50. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Yes and no. It would work if you only use effects that work on individual pixels (no dependency between pixels, so you can forget about blur, distortions and the likes).

If you have too many color correction effects stacked on your camera, you may as well use the Lookup Filter with an external software. If you really want to do all of your color grading work in Unity... Then that's why I made Chromatica in the first place :)

Keep in mind that a LUT is static by definition. Colorful is great if you only make use of a few effects at the same time or if you want to animate them in realtime (or add/remove them on the fly). It's made to be dynamic.

zhuchun likes this.