Search Unity

Colorful FX | Post-Processing Effects and Photoshop-like Color Correction Tools

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Chman, Jul 12, 2012.

1. 3Duaun

3Duaun

Yippee dual LUT curve saving! & Amount sliders!!! :) Colorful & Chromatica Studio rock!! must haves.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  2. DanTaylor

DanTaylor

Hi there.
    I recently purchased Colorful for the Fast Vignette functionality... However, it doesn't seem to work at all on Android.

It works fine on my desktop... and the Vintage filter certainly works on Android... but no joy with either Fast Vignette or Contrast Vignette on my Nexus 4.

Has anyone else got Fast Vignette to work on Android? Am I doing something wrong? Is there a special set-up I need to do?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Dan

3. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Hmm that's weird, I've seen the Fast Vignette effect run on a Nexus 5 and Galaxy S4... Do you get any error or debug log when running it on your Nexus 4 ? I'm not well versed into Android development but think you could use LogCat to see what's going on.

Nateply likes this.
  4. DanTaylor

DanTaylor

Ah... I think I may have solved it... If you don't install Colorful to the root directory of your project, the vignettes stop working on Android. It looks like the Vignette shaders don't compile properly if the assets are in a funky location.

Fast Vignette and the Vintage effect are making my game look super sweet...with minimal impact to framerate on my Nexus 4.

Wow! :D

5. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Version 2.2.2 is up and ready for Unity 5 :)

Changelog (2.2.2) :
    • Unity 5 package.
    • Fixed a bug with "Led" and "Pixelate" in Unity 5.

Demigiant likes this.
  6. zuizuimei

zuizuimei

Shader error in 'Hidden/CC_AnalogTV': illegal use of reserved word `filter' syntax error, unexpected ERROR_TOK, expecting ',' or ';' at line 49
    Unity3d 4.6.3p2
    Colorful plugin: 2.2.2
    this error make the screen pink. hope you guys fix it earlier. it is urgent. some user has reply to us.

7. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Quick patch !

Changelog (2.2.3) :
    • Fixed a bug with "Analog TV" on some platforms.
    • Fixed a bug introduced in 2.2.1 with "Lookup Filter" and "Vintage" when working in Linear mode.

Demigiant likes this.
  8. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Colorful is almost 3 years old, so... Version 3.0 is available !

Changelog (3.0) :
    • New effect, "Kuwahara", to give an oil painting look or simply soften the scene render.
    • New effect, "Glitch". Comes with three glitching modes (interference, tearing, complete).
    • New effect, "Technicolor", to mimic the classic coloring process from the early days of motion pictures.
    • New effect, "Channel Clamper", to clamp each color channel independently to a minimum and maximum value.
    • New effect, "Channel Swapper", to combine or swap color channels.
    • New effect, "White Balance", to remove unrealistic color cast and shift the neutral tone of the render.
    • Added a "Custom" quality mode to "Radial Blur". You can now put a custom sample count if you don't like the default presets.
    • Better internal file path control. You should now be able to move the Colorful folder safely.
    • General UI fixes & usability tweaks.
    • Documentation fixes & additions (+ videos for animated effects).
    • Removed the documentation from the package, it's now online only. Benefits : the package size is a lot smaller and imports faster.
    • Bumped the minimum Unity version to 4.5.

Demigiant and OnePxl like this.
  9. Demigiant

Demigiant

Thank you for bringing gifts to us. You are a benevolent god indeed U_U

10. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

Many Thanks for the 3.0 update.

11. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Ahah that made my day ! As long as it's selling I'll keep pumping free updates ! I still have a few effects on my todo list I'd like to implement :) Between this asset, Chromatica, SSAO Pro and work related projects, it's getting harder and harder to do everything I want !

chelnok, Demigiant and OnePxl like this.
  12. angelodelvecchio

angelodelvecchio

YES ! BUMP FOR THIS !

13. ironbelly

ironbelly

Any idea what would cause this:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    CC_StartupWindow.Init (Boolean forceOpen) (at Assets/EFFECTS/Colorful/Editor/Startup/CC_StartupWindow.cs:61)
    CC_StartupWindowProcessor.OnPostprocessAllAssets (System.String[] importedAssets, System.String[] deletedAssets, System.String[] movedAssets, System.String[] movedFromAssetPaths) (at Assets/EFFECTS/Colorful/Editor/Startup/CC_StartupWindow.cs:13)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:232)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MethodBase.cs:115)
    UnityEditor.AssetPostprocessingInternal.PostprocessAllAssets (System.String[] importedAssets, System.String[] addedAssets, System.String[] deletedAssets, System.String[] movedAssets, System.String[] movedFromPathAssets) (at C:/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/AssetPostprocessor.cs:26)

14. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

@ironbelly : an update will go live in a few minutes and should fix this !

15. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Here it is !

Changelog (3.0.1) :
    • Fixed the "Halftone" effect not using the correct aspect ratio for the dots.
    • Fixed a color-space error in the editor.
    • Fixed an issue with the startup dialog.

16. Sonoshee

Sonoshee

Awesome asset! Is there any way to assign these effects ( particularly CC_Negative) to a specific sprite ? ( i.e. only applied to it and not to the whole camera)

17. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Not out of the box. I'm looking into ways of doing it efficiently and with minimal user input (I want it to be as easy as dropping a component on a game object). Command buffers might do the trick but would be restricted to Unity 5+, I'll have to investigate.

Demigiant likes this.
  18. Sonoshee

Sonoshee

Okay, awesome asset nevertheless. Thanks for putting this much effort into this.

19. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

20. randomperson42

randomperson42

Just picked this up on sale, and it looks like good stuff.
    I'm having an issue when I create a build with any of the image effects in it. If I build and run, and resize the player any time after the game launches, I get a large black bar at the bottom of the screen. This seems to happen with any of the image effects that I try. If I leave the window size alone once the game launches, everything is fine.

imgfx_error1.png

I'm using Unity 5.0.1, on Windows 8.1.

I have one other question, and I haven't really looked into this yet, but would it be possible to make the Glitch effect more sporadic? In other words, I'd like to have the glitch effect sort of flash at randomized intervals. I suppose I could just activate/deactivate the effect periodically, but is there a way to get more control over it via script?

21. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

I can't reproduce the black bar issue you're getting (Windows 7 here). Is this in an empty scene or an existing project ?

Regarding the Glitch effect, enabling/disabling the component is the best way to go right now, or if you only need the "Tearing" mode you can simply push the intensity down toward 0 to "stop" the effect and push it up when you want to see it again. But that's actually a good suggestion, I'll add an option in the next version to randomize the effect so you won't have to write a "toggle" script yourself !

randomperson42 likes this.
  22. MarcopoloR

MarcopoloR

So this is sort of like Photoshop for Unity?

23. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

It's a set of post-processing effects, some of which replicate Photoshop's color correction tools in realtime (and you can animate them, of course). The documentation should give you a good overview of what's in the package :)

24. randomperson42

randomperson42

I'm in a pre-existing project, although there's not much to it.
    I'll try it in a new project as well.

Edit: It's weird... the issue wasn't there in a new project, after some testing I found that it had something to do with my specific scene - I started messing with lighting and it stopped. It had something to do with a directional light, but now I can't reproduce the issue. It definitely only happened when I had an image effect on one of my cameras though.

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  25. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

One more obscure Unity 5 bug :p

Btw, here's what I did to the Glitch effect in Colorful 3.1 :

glitch_colorful_3.1.jpg

As you can see you'll be able to randomize the activation so you can, for example, have glitches for a fraction of a second happening every few seconds or whatever suits your needs :)

randomperson42 and Demigiant like this.
  26. randomperson42

randomperson42

That's awesome, thanks.
    Let me know when the update is live.

27. magique

magique

Is 4.5 an absolute requirement or can this work on 4.3 Pro?

28. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Most, if not all assets should work fine with 4.3. The only issue I can think of has to do with the about / help panel. When importing the asset, uncheck the /Colorful/Editor/Startup/ folder (or delete it if you've already imported it and wait for Unity to recompile).

29. denciaq

denciaq

I have a trouble with Windows Phone 8.1 and CC_Fast Vignette. When I launch my game on the device whole display is black and all the graphics is gone. This works perfectly on Android or in Unity Editor itself.

Do you fully support Windows Phone platform?
    There is no info at Assets Store - it just says: "Works on desktop as well as mobile platforms (DirectX 9, DirectX 11, OpenGL, OpenGL ES 2.0) for both 2D and 3D games."

30. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

I'd like to support Windows Phones but I don't have a device to test on and from what I've heard most Colorful assets work fine. AFAIK, Windows Phone use feature level 9.3 (d3d11_9x instead of dx9 or dx11) which is known to be quite picky.

That said, the Fast Vignette effect is so simple I don't see why it would fail. I'm not familiar with WP dev, do you have a debug console or a log file you could look at, see if there's any error there (like shader compilation error, warning messages etc) ? Anything would help, once I've tracked down the issue I can fix it and issue a quick patch to the Asset Store !

31. magique

magique

Thanks. I might just give this a try.

32. magique

magique

Just got this and so far it works great. I specifically got it for the pixelate effect, but will eventually use it for other things. I'm doing a retro style game and it really helped. I don't notice any performance degradation either and I have the effect on 3 camera layers. Great work!

33. mrm83

mrm83

i just purchased this and is using it for my game. upon adding vintage and photo filter to the camera, the camera render call averages 20-30% usage!!

when i disable it, it averages under 10%

am i doing something wrong??

i am using unity 5.01

34. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

%usage doesn't mean much by itself. If I put an effect on an empty scene I get ~50% usage because that's the only thing rendering with the default procedural skybox. What's important is the time it takes to render the effect itself. If your scene, without the effect, takes for instance 0.5ms to render and the effect itself takes 0.5ms, then the effect will use 50% of the current workload :)

So you're not doing anything wrong, you just need to differentiate the %usage and the actual timing data. See this screenshot on an empty scene using Vintage and Photo Filter (the numbers will vary depending on your GPU, and you should note that benchmarking the GPU should be done on an actual build by attaching the profiler if you want real numbers, not in the editor) :

2015-05-09 23_32_00.png

35. denciaq

denciaq

Regarding the problem with Windows Phone... Thank you for your immediate reply but I'm afraid I am unable to provide additional info cause there is no any kind of error (including console content which is completely empty). It looks like everything is ok BUT there is no image, a black abyss only ;). When I disable the script with effect the game works perfectly.
    I've tried to use any of Colorful fx/filter - unfortunately, the results are the same. Am I missing something? Any help from anyone who runs Colorful filters successfully on Windows Platform will be appreciated :).

36. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

@denciaq Standard image effects do work, right ?

37. denciaq

denciaq

If you mean standard unity built-in effects than the answer is yes, they work.

The good news is that switching the target platform from Windows Phone to Windows Store (with Windows Phone selected) resolves all issues so all Colorful effects start to work.

The bad news I have no idea why this helped.

38. dock

dock

I just picked this up! It seems pretty great!

A few questions:

The Halftone effect doesn't compensate for the aspect ratio of the camera. I like this effect quite a bit, but it looks incorrect on anything but square cameras, unfortunately.
    Is it possible to adjust width scale, automatically (like LE) or otherwise?

I find it pretty odd that Pixelate's resolution independent option uses the camera frame width, rather than the height. This clashes with a number of things, because the width of the computer monitor can vary on different machines. Is it possible to set size based on height, rather than width?

39. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

It has been fixed in 3.0.1 (released on April 25th) !
    Well... The height can vary as well (I'm working with a non-standard screen height myself) ;)

Generally speaking, the aspect ratio is almost always computed as width / height, not the other way around. I choose to prioritize the width because it made more sense to me at that time, but it can easily be changed :
    Code (CSharp):
    1. // In CC_Pixelate.cs replace line 34 with :
    2. material.SetFloat("_Ratio", automaticRatio ? ((float)m_Camera.pixelHeight / (float)m_Camera.pixelWidth) : ratio);
    4. // In Colorful.cginc replace line 30 with :
    5. half2 coord = half2((ds * ratio) * ceil(uv.x / ds / ratio), ds * ceil(uv.y / ds));
    Beware that some other effects make use of the pixelate() function in Colorful.cginc (like CC_Led) so you may have to change the way the aspect ratio is calculated there as well.

Hope this helps !

40. snake77jt

snake77jt

Stupid question, but does this asset work on runtime?

41. redmotion_games

redmotion_games

Sorry if this has been asked before or even described in the docs but are these effects applied to the camera or the final image presented to the player? I'm wondering if, for example, you have a texture rendered to a screen on a monitor prefab and you could apply the scanline or glitch shader to the camera generating the texture? (Using Unity 5 free) Or appled to a UI camera to make the UI appear like it's projected.

Thanks.

42. Lahmeck

Lahmeck

Hi everyone!

This could be a strange question, does anyone know if these components are compatible with PS4?

Thanks in advance.

43. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Yes, and they can be animated as well :)

The effects are only applied to the camera they're currently on, so your example would work.

I can't say for sure all the shaders work on consoles as I don't have the necessary devkits to test them all myself. All I can say is that I know at least one of my customer uses Colorful on Xbox One and it seems to be working fine. I don't do anything weird in the shaders so I see no reason why they wouldn't work on Xbone / PS4. If, for some reason, one of shader fails on console, please get back at me, I'll do my best to fix it !

44. randomperson42

randomperson42

Any idea when this will be available? It's no priority for me, I just want to know if I should script it myself.

45. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Right now ;)

Changelog (3.1) :
    • New effect, "Hue Focus" to only display the colors in a given hue range and show the rest as black & white. Works great when used before a "Brightness / Contrast / Gamma" effect to give a sort of Sin City look, where only a few colors are visible and the rest is high-contrast black & white.
    • Added 3 Instagram filters to the "Vintage" effect : Lark, Juno, Reyes.
    • Added a "Random Activation" option to the "Glitch" effect with customizable time ranges.
    • As usual, the documentation has been updated.

46. randomperson42

randomperson42

Thanks. I assume it just went live? I checked earlier and it was on 3.0.1.

47. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Yep ! I've been meaning to push this update a few days ago but things got in the way and I had to delay it. I was actually prepping the package for the Asset Store when you posted earlier :)

48. randomperson42

randomperson42

Cool, the glitch effect change was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again.

49. Indiefreaks

Indiefreaks

Hi @Chman,

I wondered if there would be an easy way to know if the glitch effect is actually running?
    I'd like to associate some sound effect to it whenver it is actually active.

Maybe you could add a simple property to the script or even better an "onRandomGlitchActivated" UnityEvent<float> derived instance which I could add a listener to and the float would be the length of the current effect in seconds?

Thanks

randomperson42 likes this.
  50. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

I've added this to the CC_Glith.cs file (dev version, so it'll be in the next update but you can add it in the meantime) :
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public bool IsActive
    2. {
    3.     get { return m_Activated; }
    4. }
    About adding events... I don't think I will. It would nice indeed but if I add an event for this feature, I would have to add events for everything else and it would add too much overhead for something most people probably won't use. Some people (like me) also prefer to use custom event systems instead of the default one.

If you really want to integrate events into Colorful components, you could extend these components' classes, most if not all members and properties are actually public/protected instead of private. It's not fully extendable yet but will be in a near future.