Search Unity

Colorful FX | Post-Processing Effects and Photoshop-like Color Correction Tools

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Chman, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

I know some people use it with Oculus Rift and it works great (not sure about the latest version though). Most effects should work out of the box even with the last version. The ones that distort the screen (Analog TV, RGB Split etc) probably won't work as expected and will have to be adapted or tweaked to work on a per eye basis.

2. silentslack

silentslack

Are you able to offer support in bringing the plugin up to DK2 compatibility if I do find there are some issues? Thanks

3. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Of course ! Although I don't own the DK2 I'll do what I can to support it, so don't hesitate to contact me (here or by mail) :)

4. silentslack

silentslack

OK awesome. Well I will happily be a tester for you. I'll go grab it now and let you know how I get on. Cheers!

5. silentslack

silentslack

Hi,

I'm getting red artifacts when I apply the LUT component. I put together a super basic scene with nothing fancy going on and it continues to happen?

I'm running 4.5.3f3, DX11, Deferred, Linear.

6. silentslack

silentslack

Ok seems to be platform specific. I do not get the same effect when running on a PC (which does have a dedicated GPU rather than my laptop's onboard).

7. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Is this by any chance running on an Macbook with an Intel HD 4000 ?

8. silentslack

silentslack

Afraid not, I'm running a Samsung Series 7 Chronos which holds a AMD Radeon HD 6750.

9. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Hmm the HD6750 is not onboard, it's a dedicated GPU as well. Someone else had the same strange bug on a Macbook + HD4000 and it turned out to be a driver issue.

Are your drivers up to date ?
    Could you try running your basic scene in OpenGL mode see if helps ? Use the the -force-opengl flag.

10. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Version 2.0 is up !

Please note that the required Unity version has been bumped to 4.3. If for some reason you need a version compatible with Unity 3.5 to 4.2, please contact me directly.

Changelog (2.0) :
    • Added a new quickstart launcher when you import or update Colorful.
    • Added About Colorful and Colorful Manual in the Help menu.
    • New effect, Contrast Vignette. The old vignette effect plays on darkness and saturation, this new one focuses on darkness and contrast enhancement which results in a more photographic look.
    • Added a Center property to Fast Vignette to change the center point.
    • Massive optimizations to the Hue / Saturation / Value shader.
    • The Hue / Saturation / Value effect now comes with an optional advanced mode. This mode is a bit slower but way more powerful as you can now work separately on reds, yellows, greens, cyans, blues and magentas (like Photoshop).
    • The Vibrance effect now comes with an optional advanced mode which uses a different algorithm and let you tweak how channels (RGB) are affected.
    • The Levels effect editor has been rewritten from scratch. It's now more efficient and comes with a new Auto B&W feature (see the doc). Its public API hasn't changed so it should be compatible with the old one.
    • Global cleanup pass and minor optimizations on all editor classes and shaders.
    • Lots of UI fixes & usability tweaks.
    • A few documentation fixes & additions.
    Enjoy !

11. silentslack

silentslack

Cool, look forward to giving this a spin. I'm having trouble launching my game with the force-opengl argument but I'll keep trying (it seems to lock up before playing).

I updated my drivers on my laptop but the problem persists. Also, I did find today that I had the same red artifact issue on a PC at work.

12. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Well, this is concerning. Could you send me your email address (private message) ? As I'm unable to replicate this I'd like to send you a few shader variants to see if one of them fixes the bug you're getting.

13. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Thanks to @silentslack I found and fixed two bugs with the Lookup Filter. I'll push a fix to the asset store asap !

14. silentslack

silentslack

Happy to assist. Just to report back that 'Setting the Aniso level' to 0 worked perfectly. Thanks, should now get the demo out the door tonight :)

15. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Quick fix !

Changelog (2.0.1) :
    • Fixed a HDR bug with the Lookup Filter.
    • The Lookup Filter documentation has been updated. Make sure the Aniso Level on your LUTs is set to 0.

16. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Love your post effects pack. I use it all the time.

However, the LUT post effect just does not produce the same result as photoshop when using linear lighting. It works perfect in gamma though. Just a heads up!

17. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Make sure you check "Bypass sRGB Sampling" in the LUT import window ! You should get the exact same result in gamma and linear.

18. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Yes, I know how to set it all up but I'm not getting the same result.

19. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Indeed, something's not right... What's your setup ? Forward/Pre-pass ? LDR/HDR ? Could you send me the LUT to see if I can reproduce this ? Thanks !

20. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Deferred, Linear. Fantastic quality, pc/mac standalone. Unity v4.5.2f1. No other post effects on other than Colorful, but the camera is set to HDR.

As a side note, I tested Ampify Color and it works fine although it's a different LUT layout.

yikes. sorry for the large image.

21. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Ok, I was able to reproduce it and pinpoint the issue. I'll push a fix asap !

22. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Also, would Chromatica have this issue?

23. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Yep. I have a massive update coming for Chromatica with a cool "secret" feature. It will be patched as well.

24. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Excellent. I'd rather purchase that than Amplify due to the flexibility.

25. OnePxl

OnePxl

In what way is Chromatica more flexible than Amplify Color? I'm on the fence as well.

26. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Amplify Color acts as a bridge between Unity and Photoshop. You work in Photoshop and the result is exported to Unity.

Chromatica is a fully integrated solution (although you can still use Photoshop if you really want to), meaning you get all the usual Photoshop tools as well as some more powerful ones from the compositing world (auto white balance, three way color corrector...) inside Unity. Check out the quick demo video in this forum topic.

It's all about workflow, speed and ease of use. I also have some cool features coming (one of which will be in 1.1).

Side note : Chromatica should be compatible with Amplify Color's Volume feature. Both tools are complementary IMO.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  27. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Another quick fix !

Changelog (2.0.2) :
    • Fixed a bug with Lookup Filter in linear mode.

28. subsyn

subsyn

Hi Chman/others.

After a reboot Unity has given me a random problem where the compiler can't seem to find the components on a given object. Everything was working perfectly, I changed nothing, now I get null references when doing anything like;

CC_AnalogTV1 = NGUIMainCamera.GetComponent<CC_AnalogTV>();

Everywhere in my project it creates nulls. The objects clearly have the component on there fine, and I can go to Component > Colorful and the components are there and can be added just fine. It's like the compiler has lost links to the components or something.

Any ideas?

29. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

I'm not sure, but it could be due to a corrupted library... Does it only happen with Colorful components ?

First thing first, make sure all the shader references are still there (see this previous post). That's the most common source of troubles, the editor loosing the shader references for some random reason.

If that doesn't fix it... Could you post the exact error message you're getting ?

There's something else you can try, I remember saving an old corrupted project of mine that way : close Unity (and backup your project, just in case), delete the Library and Temp folders from your project files and restart Unity, it will rebuild your project's library.

30. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Big update today, go get it on the Asset Store or Itch.io !

Changelog (2.1) :
    • New effect, "Vintage" comes with 19 fast & high quality Instagram filters :
      • Amaro
      • Brannan
      • Earlybird
      • Hefe
      • Hudson
      • Inkwell
      • Kelvin
      • LoFi
      • Mayfair
      • Nashville
      • Rise
      • Sierra
      • Sutro
      • Toaster
      • Valencia
      • Walden
      • Willow
      • X-Pro II
    Thanks to Quantum Theory for letting me use his assets to showcase some of these effects !

Demigiant likes this.
  31. Demigiant

Demigiant

Woah why didn't I hear of this asset until now. It is absolutely fantastic in an exciting way! Gonna be a client soon :)

32. Kulverbee

Kulverbee

Hi there!

Just bought it from asset store, and I am experiencing problems. Some of the effects give error in console and crash Unity.

Empty scene. One Camera. Added CC_Frost:

NullReferenceException
    UnityEngine.Material..ctor (UnityEngine.Shader shader)
    CC_Base.get_material () (at Assets/Colorful/Components/CC_Base.cs:33)
    CC_Frost.OnRenderImage (UnityEngine.RenderTexture source, UnityEngine.RenderTexture destination) (at Assets/Colorful/Components/CC_Frost.cs:26)

CC_AnalogTV:

NullReferenceException
    UnityEngine.Material..ctor (UnityEngine.Shader shader)
    CC_Base.get_material () (at Assets/Colorful/Components/CC_Base.cs:33)
    CC_AnalogTV.OnRenderImage (UnityEngine.RenderTexture source, UnityEngine.RenderTexture destination) (at Assets/Colorful/Components/CC_AnalogTV.cs:37)

About half on effects is like that......

Unity#D 4.5.5f1, OSX

Possible to fix?

33. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

It shouldn't happen by default, the shader reference got lost in your project for some reason (it can happen when copying files around). You can fix it easily, see this post (and the one just above).

34. Kulverbee

Kulverbee

Thank you very much! You saved my deadline =)

35. Demigiant

Demigiant

Hiya, got it a while ago and am very happy. great job! :)

Since I love to animate Colorful properties, I was wondering if there's any way to animate the Analog TV bars, or a way to implement it (couldn't find any)? Not to make the bars bigger, but to make them scroll infinitely upwards (or downwards) as in old TVs, by just changing some kind of displacementY property?

36. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Done ! An update should be available tomorrow, keep an eye on the store :)

Demigiant likes this.
  37. Demigiant

Demigiant

Woooah you are so awesome and I bow to you in respect :)

38. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Version 2.1.1 is up !

Changelog (2.1.1) :
    • Added a "Scanlines Offset" option to the "Analog TV" effect to scroll the scanlines upwards/downwards.

Demigiant likes this.
  39. happydoy

happydoy

I try to add a image Effect of Radial Blur on Camera,but it don't work ,can you help me,or give me a example .
    My email address is: lfbtutu@hotmail.com
    thanks

40. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

What do you mean by "it doesn't work" ? Is the effect enabled in the Inspector ? What do you see on screen when you apply the effect ? Any error in the console ? I'll need more details about what's not working to be able to help you out.

41. 3Duaun

3Duaun

Firstly, Colofrul has been awesome for me! Its great on desktop... However I am porting a title to mobile...Is anyone else getting some very apparent (very distant)ghosting artifacts in Unity5b18 ANDROID PRO with Colorful when running on device (any Android device). I'm not sure if Colorful is supposed to work properly on Android Pro U5, but I'm having ghosted semi-transparent doubling of elements on the screen when using frost, vintage, and many others. Has colorful been tested on Unity5 Android Pro?

My first guess... Does Colorful support OpenGL ES3.0 on mobile? Is enabling the 32bit display buffer known to cause issues with colorful?

EDIT: After many many builds... the effect causing the bothersome ghosting is the "FROST" CC effect. It is causing the very apparent double-ghosting effect (multiple draws of the screen separated by what appears to be a distance linked to the SCALE parameter). I've tested in es 2 & 3, as well as 32 bit buffer on and off; the same issue is apparent each time frost is enabled on the camera. Is any one else experiencing this? Any ideas on a fix, or where to investigate the issue in the effect itself?

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  42. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

This is strange. Unfortunately I don't have access to an Android device so I can't test it myself. The frost effect basically works by displacing the pixel in a random direction, using the Scale parameter as the distance. Because of the noise function used, it gives the picture this "grainy / frosty" look.

It seems like the noise function isn't working correctly with your setup (Unity 5b18 + Android Pro). I'm not sure why that would be the case. Maybe a shader compilation bug ? Or a shader incompatibility with this particular setup... Unity 5 is still in beta so it wouldn't be surprising.

Did it work with previous Unity 5 betas ? Or with Unity 4 ?

43. 3Duaun

3Duaun

Thank you for your assistance, your tools are awesome!
    It did work under 4.6. But I didnt try it under any of the previous v5 betas. I've used the frost effect quite often... this is the first time its given me any issues. Sounds like a shader bug... but wonder why its only affecting this effect.

44. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Version 2.2 is available !

Changelog (2.2) :
    • Added 5 Instagram filters to the "Vintage" effect : Aden, Crema, Ludwig, Perpetua, Slumber.

45. LampRabbit

LampRabbit

Is it possible to have an amount property for Lookup textures and Vintage Instagram filters? So we can fade the effects in/out.

46. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Sure ! I'll push a quick update in a few hours :)

LampRabbit likes this.
  47. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

Here you go !

Changelog (2.2.1) :
    • Added an "Amount" slider to "Lookup Filter" and "Vintage" to allow blending on the effects.

48. LampRabbit

LampRabbit

Oh wow so fast! How did you skip the Unity submission wait? do some high profile devs get special privileges? (if you don't mind me asking)

49. Chman

Chman

Unity Technologies

I'm not 100% sure how or why, but for the last few months I've been able to skip the submission queue and push quick updates straight to the store, which is quite cool ! I guess they have a list of "trusted developers" or something like that.

50. LampRabbit

LampRabbit

Ah, I can imagine it would be super helpful. The last asset I submitted took over a week.

Thx for the update, it works great!