Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Color space support for Windows MR

Discussion in 'VR' started by VenisterUT, Jan 3, 2018.

1. VenisterUT

VenisterUT

I'm currently trying to port my game with Windows MR. Standalone version is using Linear Color Space. Today I finally succeed to build UWP version, but I found that scene is pretty darker than original version. - It felt the same way when the apps for Daydream were built in linear color space before.

Is anyone who can suggest anything for this issue?

2. JasonCostanza

JasonCostanza

Unity Technologies

when you say "It felt the same way when the apps for Daydream were built", are you meaning they were also dark, or they looked the same between Linear and Gamma on the Daydream? Is this specific to WIndows MR?

3. VenisterUT

VenisterUT

They were also dark. :( - I thought that it could be because Daydream is based on mobile devices and I didn't care because that project was from my small research.

But for Windows MR and UWP platform, scenery that made with Linear color space is too dark. (It's too different with Standalone version.)

4. Fahim_Ahmed

Fahim_Ahmed

Take a look at this thread: LINK

5. VenisterUT

VenisterUT

Thank you for your answer. But I'm wondering that I have to change to gamma space for the UWP? As I wrote our standalone version(Oculus/Vive version) support linear color space, so I want to keep the setting for the Windows MR version.

6. le_breton

le_breton

Effectively, setting the ColorSapce to Gamma is a first solution (a bit brighter but it's fine).

OR
    (in Linear mode) using a PostProcess effect with strength settings, is another solution for the HMD / MR, in contradiction with the Game Editor which becomes super bright :/

Well, playing with ColorSpace is actually the only solution I've found.

BUT is there another REAL reason for that color problem ?
    I didn't seen anything about ColorSpace with Unity & MixedReality web sites

7. 265lutab

265lutab

Using unity 2017.2.0p2-MRTP5 the linear color space is displayed properly. However when I move my project to 2017.3.1 I'm seeing the same issue where the display in the HMD is very dark.

8. VenisterUT

VenisterUT

I already tried to change its color space to Gamma. And... I think that it's not too bad though it's a bit brighter as you told. Anyway I am really wondering why the linear space is different for each platforms , and wanted to keep the project settings for all platform. Anyway thank you for your answer.

9. VenisterUT

VenisterUT

Umm... then... is it a bug? :( I'm currently using 2017.3 because there were more serious issues for me on 2017.2p2- mrtp5. Thank you for sharing your experience.

10. Digital-Wizards

Digital-Wizards

In Unity 2018.1.0f2 the view inside the WindowsMR headset dark when using the Linear color space. The error still there.

mspink likes this.
  11. Deleted User

Deleted User

@JasonCostanza I have a question too. UWP builds are made for both, Hololens and MR Headsets. MRs support linear color space while the Hololens probably doesn't. Is it even possible to build one package for both devices with different color spaces to get the best out of both?

Illusion-Walk likes this.
  12. Illusion-Walk

Illusion-Walk

The issue still exists with Unity 2020.3.20 and Windows XR Plugin v4.6.1.
    Only changing the color space to gamma works, but I can't use the gamma color space in all of my projects due to other shader issues.