Search Unity

Color Select Menu for Racing Game - Unity Engine

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by JamesArndt, Mar 4, 2013.

1. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

This is a tutorial where I demo a simple setup for getting paint color selection and decal selection working in your vehicle select menus. This is geared towards a racing game setup, but the same techniques will work in any game where you want to swap textures on a character or model or add decals to that model. This tutorial is in Unity 3.56 and uses some demonstration in Autodesk Maya, though the principle of "floating" decal geometry works the same in any 3d application. You can follow this tutorial and implement this system in your own games by recreating it from the video.

2. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Ah nevermind had to edit my post...I see your system is free, but please refrain from hijacking my threads. You have your own thread with your own system.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  3. wccrawford

wccrawford

This forum is about *teaching*. If he wants to make sure people know about other ways, I don't see a problem with that.

4. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

@wccrawford - Yes I agree with that wholeheartedly, but do you think it's really considerate to post your own stuff in someone's own thread. He has his own thread about it already. I just don't want my own threads overrun or diluted with other folks stuff. I think that's a fair enough request right? I don't go posting my own projects in other folk's threads about their own projects. I just thought this was common consideration. I am all about teaching and giving free knowledge away, just check out my many posts.

5. wccrawford

wccrawford

I think making people aware of other methods is perfectly fine. If he started doing tech support for his method in here, that's another story.

In certain other subforums here, such as assets or commercial, I'd say his post was out of line. But due to the nature of this subforum, it's not.

6. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

@wccrawford - Well that's exactly my point! Where does it stop, if you allow one post of support for something else, that opens the gates for more to follow. He's posting links to external stuff that isn't what my guidance was based around. I don't wish to be misrepresented by him, or folks to mistake his work for mine, or vice versa. This is a thread about a tutorial and method I was specifically targeting. I was not targeting or offering an alternate method. This is teaching, and a tutorial, but it's also revenue stream for me...so any diversion hurts me financially ya know. It's just not good forum etiquette in my belief. I know you believe differently and that's cool...but I just don't agree. Why I'm going to request a thread delete and move this on to a different thread.

You must not realize that allowing folks to have different etiquette and posting rules in different sub-forums can cause confusion between sub-forums and for posters. You cannot allow thread hijacking in the Teaching sub forum and then say it's not okay in the WIP sub-forum. The logic just doesn't work for me.

7. lockbox

lockbox

Wait a sec... Did you provide some code for this demo? One thing to keep in mind, is just because someone provides something for free, doesn't mean it's any good - lol

No offense Paul, I'm just saying :)

8. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

No his system looks pretty good, not sure what comes in it though. I did notice his menus and stuff are in Spanish or Portugese, not english. I was also trying to do a system specifically that DIDN'T use a shader based solution...and then his video shows up in my thread kind of thwarting my entire premise (considering his is a shader based solution). This guy up here @wccrawford is trying to defend the thread hijack or something, not sure what that's about, but I don't have the tolerance or patience for it today. I'm like is this dude for real, I spend hours each week doing free solutions, giving away projects for free, and it's not junk stuff. I'm augmenting my income by giving this stuff away (adsense revenue), so hurting my financials is kind of like hurting me...any diversions like this would potentially take away views from my own efforts. This is about teaching, but hey teachers get paid to do what they do and so do I. You don't come in a teacher's classroom and start offering classes from another school. I don't see why that's so hard to understand?

9. wccrawford

wccrawford

Text removed because of the edit above.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  10. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

@wccrawford - Well I edited it for you since you're sensitive to it. I took your statements to be veiled hostility as well. Just didn't make sense to me to be honest. I don't do these efforts for hostility, or to be run over by people. I do them to help people in need and to help myself augment my income. If you can't see how hijacking someone else's thread with some other video link to something else can hurt viewership to my own video, well I don't know how to break it down any simpler for you. I just took you for someone with too much time on your hands who wanted to spread some dissent in my thread. I don't know you from any other troll, etc. It's forgiven, I've edited my post to accommodate you. I don't know who you are, but you clearly don't know me. I've only spread goodwill, support and guidance to the Unity community.

11. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

I was open and honest, I'm not a jealous person. This was about me teaching people on Youtube and at the SAME time making money by video hits. It's not a complex business model by any means, but it does augment my income. You distracting with some other system or method takes away from my viewership. That sir, offends me and why I raised a stink about it. I straight up see it as thread hijacking, end of story.

12. wccrawford

wccrawford

I think you need to realize that people are not attacking you, no matter how you perceive it. Nobody came into this thread with the idea that we'd steal money from you or make your day worse. Instead, we're just trying to help others. Sorry if that interferes with your plans, but this isn't your forum. It's everyone's. And if something helps the group as a whole, I really don't see a problem with it.

Had you approached this problem as a discussion, you could have added more knowledge for everyone and brought more positive attention to yourself. Since that seems to be the idea behind your posting tutorials in the first place, I'd think this would have been a good direction to go.

We're all friends here. If someone inadvertently decreases your potential cash flow, simply steer things back on course. In this case, if you'd simply pointed out the benefits to your solution (not needing a shader) then you'd have defused the situation entirely without attacking anyone.

Again, had this been within the Assets subforum, I wouldn't have said anything. Posting your work in someone else's thread there is definitely a hostile tactic. But this is Teaching, and we're all just trying to spread knowledge here. It's pretty simple etiquette in my opinion.

13. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Well I'll continue on with my tutorials, but would definitely appreciate it (even if it's in a teaching forum) that video links specifically aren't posted in threads where I'm already providing a link. I understand some feedback or help, or even assistance in threads. I'm sure we all have our different perception of this, I know these are not my forums, but I do take ownership of threads I start. I don't want to have to redirects all of the time in threads because it's going in a different direction or there is some other aspect in it being posted about.

14. Schlumpfsack

Schlumpfsack

First of all: Thanks for making tutorials!

Second: money,money,money (it sounds a bit greedy, keep money discussion out of a teaching thread, doesn't look good at all)

The friendly advisor
    Schlumpfsack

15. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Ah ha well good points all. For me I have to be compensated for what I do, even if it's free. I can't afford to spend an hour or so on tutorials and putting together free downloads without compensation. It is about money, I'm sorry to those it offends. It teaches, and it costs nothing for the thread viewer (so there is no wrongdoing). On the end of the thread viewer and my interaction with them, there is no money involved. I am not greedy lol or looking for fame. I have two children and myself and I am trying to survive. Survival is about money, so take that for what it's worth. No one has ever complained about my videos, or complained about my adsense revenue, or complained about me. I will keep on doing what I do, and doing it for the reason I am. I am NOT teaching purely out of altruism...I need to keep my family and myself housed and fed. Youtube has become a good source of revenue to accomplish those means. So yes I take it personally.

Oh and I wanted to add about the money in a teaching thread. You might be a bit off base, not all teaching resources are free. Lynda.com, I use it quite a bit myself and it has a monthly fee. Not to mention someone in here could be posting up info about their new teaching web site that requires a paid subscription. Since when did everyone think all knowledge is free...if that were true I suppose the University system would be gone the way of the dinosaur. It simply isn't true, and money and teaching go hand in hand. Why do you think the teachers of America are up in arms over their salaries. Do you think it's because they seek fame or are greedy? Hell no it isn't, they are trying to live in our world, support their families, and keep up with the cost of living where they live. This is exactly what I am doing. There is no wrong in it, or anything I should have to defend. Damn self entitled generation I say!

Just because this is a "teaching" forum, does not instantly mean freebie forum.

16. Schlumpfsack

Schlumpfsack

i guess you completely misunderstood my post.
    It was all about keep those discussions out of the teaching thread. I understand that you want to make money. For your family or to buy a new car...we don't need to know why. It is ok (at least for me).
    i know that there are sites that cost money teaching stuff, but did you saw them discussing price-politics in their advertisment threads?
    Like i said...thanks for those tutorials, i know it takes time to make them and i hope you will make money with it.

If you want me to delete my posts out of this thread to have a clean one...just shot me a PM :)

17. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Hug back. Sorry I came off as a jerk.

18. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Closing this thread to save further derailment

19. Jawad

Jawad

@James Arndt U done a great job to make such tutorials and these are an assets for us.....Well done and keep it up....:)