Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Resolved Color management in the editor

Discussion in 'Authoring Dev Blitz Day 2023' started by KimmoFactor, Jan 26, 2023.

1. KimmoFactor

KimmoFactor

Hi,

Every time I do some color sensitive work in Unity I end up wondering which part of Unity handles colors which way, and it's always different. The color pickers for example are very inconsistent. And then the asset processing, shader graphs, vfx graphs, etc. always seem to randomly pick if they want to do gamma/linear conversions automatically or not. Basically every time you do color work, you have to be really careful about your assumptions.

Here's an example about color pickers. The first property uses HDR color picker (through ColorUsage attribute) and the second a 'basic' (no HDR) color picker. Both are set to 0.5 RGB values. But as you can see, they're show as different colors in the editor. (Basic is 128 and HDR is 188 if looked through this screenshot). Now this maybe might be as you intend it, I don't know? Feels very wrong though.

upload_2023-1-26_9-31-47.png

Here's another example. The gradient editor is HDR (through GradientUsage attribute). There's a 0.5 gray value at the center. The gradient itself shows it at 128, the Color below it shows it as 188, the HDR color picker shows it as 188.

upload_2023-1-26_9-41-41.png

I've had issues like this with Sprites and TextMeshPro and so on and I've reported some of these as bugs a long time ago, but they've always been dismissed as "it's the way it is". So my question is, are there any plans anywhere to bring some consistency to color management or at least explain what the overal philosophy behind all this is. I would really appreciate some overal guidance here so I would not always be guessing.

2. EricDziurzynski

EricDziurzynski

Unity Technologies

Thank you very much for the feedback on this issue! This doesn't seem to be designed for consistency across usage in the editor and improving the color picker is already in our backlog so I've added your feedback as an insight on this backlog entry so we don't lose sight of it. We don't have an exact timetable yet for when we will be making these types of improvements but again, appreciate the feedback as it helps us shape our approach and prioritize this work against the rest of our backlog.

KimmoFactor likes this.
  3. ilcane87

ilcane87