Search Unity

Color Grading and loss of detail.

Discussion in 'Image Effects' started by Stavros-Dimou, May 15, 2018.

1. Stavros-Dimou

Stavros-Dimou

Hello. I'm inexperienced and I was following tutorials such as Unity's own ones, to make a game look better. I'm using the Post-Processing Stack, and decided to try out Color Grading (Filmic ACES) as everyone in the internet says it's the best option.
    So immediately when Color Grading is enabled, colors get washed out and gray-ish, something I fixed after spending some hours calibrating. But I noticed something. Raising the saturation to anything that will make the scene in general to not loose color, will make some details to be lost. In particular I noticed that on the specular / light reflection of some objects, like these red barrels for instance.

Color Grading turned off.

Color Grading turned on
    .​

Notice how in the screenshot with Color Grading turned off, there is detailed smooth gradients in the way the barrel reflects light. If I enable Color Grading, setting saturation to anything that will feel kind of natural, removes smoothness and detail from the gradients of light reflection, and makes it look ugly.

Am I doing something wrong ? And is there a way to keep color correction without loosing gradient details ?

P.S. I already done the previous steps such as setting HDR on, and setting the path to deferred instead of linear.

2. Stavros-Dimou

Stavros-Dimou

It's OK. I found the solution. Apparently each time I make changes to the Color Grading part of the Post Processing Stack, I'll have to reconfigure the shininess / metalness of the material.