Search Unity

Color gradients in shader graph

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by Nicksaccount, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Nicksaccount

Nicksaccount

Is there any way to use Unity's gradient editor in Shader Graph?

I've been playing with noise and come up with a decent-enough fire effect, but I really need a 4-color gradient to complete it - one that'll follow the pattern created by my noise.

2. bgolus

bgolus

There's no way to directly use a gradient in the shader editor, or shaders in general. There are two main solutions for getting a gradient into a shader.

The easiest one is to use a texture with the ramp in it. There are scripts out there that let you convert a gradient into a texture, like this one.
    https://github.com/Emerix/GradientToTexture

The other solution is to pass some number of color properties to a shader and lerp between them. I can show you some shader code for this, but you'd have to translate that into a node graph yourself.

float a_scaled = a * 3;
    float4 gradient_2_3 = lerp(_Color2, _Color3, saturate(a_scaled - 2));
    float4 gradient_1_23 = lerp(_Color1, gradient_2_3, saturate(a_scaled - 1));
    float4 gradient = lerp(_Color0, gradient_1_23, saturate(a_scaled));

There are also algorithmic solutions for certain colors, like approximating a black body radiation color or visible color / rainbow, but those are a bit more specialized.

3. Nicksaccount

Nicksaccount

Thanks for that, bglous. Possibly a silly question, but what's "a" in the above? I guess it's the given pixel's height from the bottom of the shader, but couldn't find any way to get that.

4. bgolus

bgolus

The "a" is the input into the gradient evaluation. It's a 0.0 to 1.0 value.

5. Nicksaccount

Nicksaccount

6. Nicksaccount

Nicksaccount

The gradient question's also been answered in the thread linked above.

7. mitaywalle

mitaywalle

8. MMeyers23

MMeyers23

Do you know which method would be more performant if you have large number of gradients and you want to change the colors in the gradients dynamically at runtime? I would guess it is more computationally heacy to manually interpolate, but it also seems like it might not be fast to quickly rewrite and read textures on the fly?