Search Unity

Color. A study in the art of game design.

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by superman327, Feb 10, 2012.

1. superman327

superman327

Hello, and thank you for reading my thread. I always like to start off by thanking a reader, so that they will feel welcomed and will continue reading. I have been dormant from these forums for a very long time, however I have a good reason. Now, I am back, and better than ever.

Color, the study.
    You may be wondering, "What does he mean by a "study in the art of game design"?", Well, curious one, I have a project. You see, while I was moving and doing lots of other things (Why I've been dormant), my stepbrother asked me to teach him programming. Well, I did, and now he's working with me and a veteran of my projects, Hamzeh. What we are doing is creating a game in one week. It is 2d and will be simple on the outside, however it will be intricate on the inside.

"Main Idea" of Color.
    The main idea of color is to create a 2d game that looks simple on the outside, however is intricate on the inside, in 1 week. However, because of limitations, and the fact that my team is hoping that we can make $5000 off of it at least, we will have one week where all of the other team members are off work/school, and during that week will use all of the time available to develop it, however we will work until that week (in March). Color is being made as a rpg with a simple yet fun art direction (Lots of Colors, :)). The main character will be a simple circle that goes through a lot of colors as "levels". For example, blue might turn out to be level five while red is level 27. You will fight squares and will explore a large landscape of possibility. The art direction will be straightforward with few cartoonish elements.

Point of the thread?
    The point of the thread is to keep you posted on updates to color. Because of time restrictions I will probably update every weekend or if something happens every other weekend. If you have suggestions to build upon the idea, can create some animations or art, or can help in any way, it would be great. Your name will be featured in the credits if you help. There will be a seperate set of credits called "the creative ones" that plays after the credits. It will feature the names of people who came up with ideas in the game or that will be added to the game.

Email: hobohmpaypal@yahoo.com (It sounds weird, however Hobohm is a common German name and I use that email for Paypal transactions If you didn't know, my side job is a video game journalist and I am normally payed through Paypal).

Examples of my writing work:
    respawnless.com
    gamespot.com/users/superman3275
    photobucket.com/users/superman3275 (don't mind the pictures of search engines, that is a weird story)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  2. EnigmaFactory

EnigmaFactory

Sounds like a plan. Try to get some good concept out soon if you want people to create assets.

Look forward to seeing more.

3. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Sounds interesting, but most people dont realy like playing as a colour. i doubt that you can make 5,000 from this, sorry :(

4. ivanzu

ivanzu

There has never been done any official report that people don't like color games.It could be a success as mostly people like good and fun gameplay in 2D games.

5. superman327

superman327

Update #1!
    We are working on the platformer aspect and are starting 2d art!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  6. superman327

superman327

[Saved For Release Notes and Important Information]

7. superman327

superman327

Stay Tuned! Next week the official production begins! We hope to finish it next week to!