Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Collision detection is driving me insane

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by douglasdaszewski, Mar 27, 2024.

1. douglasdaszewski

douglasdaszewski

I'm trying to program an enemy that follows the player and jumps upon two conditions:
    A. the player is within a certain cone above the enemy
    B. there is a tilemap block in front of the enemy, aka an obstacle to jump over

criteria A hasn't given me any problems, but B is beginning to drive me insane.
    I spent a long time trying to use Physics.CheckCapsule and Physics.CapsuleCast, since they return a boolean value of true or false, but "isBlocked" never changed from false when I used this setup:

public class enemyAI : MonoBehaviour
    {

[SerializeField] bool isBlocked(float length, float radius)
    {
    return Physics.CheckCapsule(new Vector3(transform.position.x + length, transform.position.y, transform.position.z), new Vector3(transform.position.x - length, transform.position.y, transform.position.z), radius);
    } //i tried the same thing with CapsuleCast, including the return at the beginning. yielded the same results.

void Update{

if (isBlocked(3, 0.5f) && grounded)
    {
    jump = true;
    }

Finally I got results by using Physics.OverlapCapsule, but now jump is constantly being set to true, and the enemy bounces everywhere. I don't know what i'm doing wrong. The current script is attached.

Attached Files:

2. PraetorBlue

PraetorBlue

spiney199 likes this.
  3. douglasdaszewski

douglasdaszewski

Oh my gosh, that's such an obvious fix, i dont know how i didnt think of that! thanks so much!