Search Unity

Collider too big

Discussion in '2D' started by FireJojoBoy, Jan 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FireJojoBoy

FireJojoBoy

i have a racing game where you can collide with other cars.
    i made the collider way smaller than the cars but when i play the ame it's like 5 times bigger than the car
    can annybody help me fixing this?
    is it a bug from unity?

here's the code of the Player:

Code (CSharp):
    1.     public void OnTriggerEnter2D(Collider2D other)
    2.         {
    3.             if (other.tag == "SlipperyEnd")
    4.             {
    5.                 slippery = false;
    6.             }
    8.             if (other.tag == "SlipperyActivate")
    9.             {
    10.                 slippery = true;
    11.             }
    13.             if (other.tag == "OtherCar")
    14.             {
    15.                 Collide();
    16.             }
    17.         }
    19.         public void Collide()
    20.         {
    21.             HowFast = 0;
    22.             normalSpeed = 1f;
    23.         }
    edit: OMG I DETATCHED THE TUNNEL LIGHT COLLIDER AND IT WORKS NOW

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  2. Hyblademin

Hyblademin

When you run the game, the collider becomes much bigger, and stays like that?

Is this just on the player object, or does it happen on all cars?

There's nothing in this script to cause this, so it must be something else. Is this the only script on the player object?

Can you take some screenshots that show your Heirarchy view (fully expand the player object if it has children) and your Inspector with the player object selected?

FireJojoBoy likes this.
  3. FireJojoBoy

FireJojoBoy

there's no other script that uses the collider and no other object with an collider
    it's useless to show screenshots because you can't see the collider

4. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

You will see the collider if you have it selected or if you go into Project Settings > Physics 2D > Gizmos > Always show colliders.

Colliders don't resize unless the collider geometry is explicitly changed via its properties or the Transform scale is changed so it's absolutely worth showing this visually. The gizmo will show you exactly how big the collider is and the fact that you say a screenshot won't show the collider makes me thing that maybe you're not away of how big it is.

Of course I'm completely guessing but maybe check what the gizmo shows.

FireJojoBoy likes this.
  5. FireJojoBoy

FireJojoBoy

thanks it's wierd that this option didnt work for me and yes, i don#t know how big it is but the car is colliding before it hitts the other car. i don't know what i should do

6. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

This option works perfectly fine so if you cannot see the collider then you must be doing something wrong. Simply selecting the GO with it on will display it. If you look in the "Scene" view, make sure the "Gizmos" button at the top has been selected as you can click on it to turn on/off all scene gizmos (ignoring the drop-down).

Just add a GameObject, add a CircleCollider2D. If you don't see it then you've got gizmos turned off.

FireJojoBoy likes this.
  7. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

8. FireJojoBoy

FireJojoBoy

thanks now i can see that the colliders are as small as they should be but if they are ok what am i doing wrong?

9. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

It should be clear that I have no way of telling you what is going wrong until you provide more info.

At least post an image (preferably a video) of them suddenly getting bigger or confirm that the gizmo shows them getting bigger and it's not just the fact that you're seeing your code running too early or something.

FireJojoBoy likes this.
  10. FireJojoBoy

FireJojoBoy

ähm.JPG
    if the cars are that mutch away they collide. the other collider in the picture has nothing to do with that and it's just making the street behind the player disappier

11. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

So you're saying that the colliders are not actually resizing but you're getting a callback from these two colliders that indicates that they're touching?

Can you confirm that it is indeed these two catching and that you're not contacting another collider? One way is to delete the other collider in the callback (single step this in pause mode) and check that the collider on the other collider disappears. If not, it's some other collider you've not accounted for.

If you can duplicate this in a simple scene and upload it somewhere, I'd be happy to take a quick look at it.

FireJojoBoy likes this.
  12. FireJojoBoy

FireJojoBoy

yes they do this wierd stuff allways, also when they aren't tuching the other collider.
    in the script it's checking if the colliders tag is "OtherCar"

13. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

Are you sure you've not modified the 2D Physics Settings and done something like increase the Physics2D.defaultContactOffset ?

You can reset those settings, noting any that you need changed such as gravity.

Beyond that, there's no reason why this would happen at all and if it did, it'd be a serious bug and a heck of a lot of people would have their pitchforks out. ;)

FireJojoBoy likes this.
  14. FireJojoBoy

FireJojoBoy

thanks. i did reset the settings and i checked if i changed the Physics2D.defaultContactOffset seems like i need to report this bug

15. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

How do you know this is a bug in Unity? If colliders reacted like this then users would be up in arms.

Can you create a new project and get two such colliders to come in contact from so far away? If you can then please go ahead and report a bug and provide me with the case number as I'd happily take a look at it.

FireJojoBoy likes this.
  16. Wezai

Wezai

The cars look like they have an extra collider (the huge green square in your picture). Check the car object, its children or even its parent to see if anything else has a big one.

FireJojoBoy likes this.
  17. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

Now I'm confused. You said, "the other collider in the picture has nothing to do with that and it's just making the street behind the player disappier".

Can you please show a better view and identify what is what?

Also, I said this and perhaps you should try it, "One way is to delete the other collider in the callback (single step this in pause mode) and check that the collider on the other collider disappears. If not, it's some other collider you've not accounted for."

FireJojoBoy likes this.
  18. Wezai

Wezai

My bad, I didn't see that in the post above.

Still, this is such a simple scene that the only thing I can think of is that they might be the culprit. Your advice is still the best approach.

19. FireJojoBoy

FireJojoBoy

no they dont, here's the prefab:
    oof.JPG

20. FireJojoBoy

FireJojoBoy

Here is everything you see explained:

explain.JPG

edit: OMG I DETATCHED THE TUNNEL LIGHT COLLIDER AND IT WORKS NOW
    thank you so mutch i mean you said that i should remove other colliders in the car
    thank you :D :D :D :D

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    MelvMay likes this.
  21. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

Actually it was my bad, I read your post as if @FJB_creator wrote it! Got confused. :)

Well there's no reason they'd hit at such distances and honestly I don't know what to suggest but really, no bug is going to allow collisions from such distances. It'd effectively make 2D physics useless and we would've had a lot of bug reports.

I'll ask for the final time if you can try deleting the other collider on the callback and/or hosting a simple reproduction project so I can take a look. Failing that, I'm not sure how I can help further.

FireJojoBoy likes this.
  22. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

Good to hear you got it working. :)

FireJojoBoy likes this.
  23. ItsBehradaYt12

ItsBehradaYt12

Yeah i have a similiar problem but i have checked every single pixel on the entire project nothing

24. ItsBehradaYt12

ItsBehradaYt12

Does it have anything to do with Tags ( i use collider.CompareTag)

25. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

Please don't necropost. Use your own threads when you have a problem.

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.