Search Unity

Feature Request Collecting fruits by attacking the tree

Discussion in 'Open Projects' started by zvervo, Feb 14, 2021.

?

It's desirable feature to collecting items/fruits from trees?

1. Yes

8 vote(s)
    88.9%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. zvervo

zvervo

Hi,

I been exploring how State Machine's actions, conditions, and states works, so I make first steps to small feature "PigChef now can chop down Palm trees", which can be used for collecting fruits. It is desirable feature worth of more work, or I can just discard it like a "educational experiment".

Thanks for your opinions.

---

https://github.com/UnityTechnologies/open-project-1/pull/372

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  2. cirocontinisio

cirocontinisio

How does he chop them down? With his walking cane?
    Also we would need to think of a chop-down animation, or particle system or something. Also consider that trees are lightmapped, so parto of the environment... although I think they could be destroyed no problem.

But why instead not make them "shakeable"? The tree shakes just very slightly (with a shader) when the chef hits it with the cane, releasing a fruit on the hit 1-3 at random.

Also keep in mind we don't have physics at play, so the fruit would have to materialise or, potentially, be tweened to the ground (this would require some raycast, or a pre-set spawn point).

itsLevi0sa likes this.
  3. zvervo

zvervo

Good point, yea it's not necessary to destroy them, we can say its just "shaking" by attacking the tree. I used existing "RedGetHitEffect" when Palm is hit, and it's not looking so bad when whole tree flashing red, like a reaction on attack (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fB5GShZHZgQVslJ04C43l08_M3kKSqXH/view?usp=sharing).

So terminator style materialise of fruit, with glowing sphere and lots of lightnings? (-:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  4. Smurjo

Smurjo

How about giving the coconut a "dropping out of the sky"-animation? It doesn't actually drop out of the sky but it's size gradually increases and it moves down until it lands full size on the desired spawn point.

5. zvervo

zvervo

I think that will be lot of work for each tree (pineapple, coconut, apple, ...) separately, because differences of sizes, shapes, and other stuff. By the way its look like trees have hard painted shadows. So I think one cool "materialise" animation, it's efficient solution, because can be used on all kinds of trees or other objects which can drop something. This game isn't trying to look realistic, so I think little of "magic" isn't against the game design. Although I definitely need help with that animation, because I don't have graphic skills nor software.

6. Smurjo

Smurjo

Since I hate shadergraphs I fear I am excluded from helping with the "magic"- animation, but the "dropping from the sky" I can do in Unity. Obviously each fruit only grows on one sort of tree, coconuts on coconut palms, apples on apple trees and pineapples - they don't grow on trees at all.

7. aby_gamemaker

aby_gamemaker

Can we do it like pokemon sword and shield berry trees.

Or if everyone is hoping for something original we could do 2 things.
    a) the pheonix chick picks them with its beak and we just collect them.
    Or
    b)our stick is a little Y shaped so we could add a little strap on it to turn it into a catapult. Then we can use it to shoot down fruits and critters alike.

paciFIST_Studios likes this.
  8. zvervo

zvervo

I hope unity team with support of this community (or this community with support of unity team?), can do better than copy Pokémon games, which are everything, but by my opinion not good example how to make games. Pokémon games are mostly build around Pokémon Story - which is undoubtedly popular -, and using well known game mechanics used in other games before, without so powerful story supported by huge amounts of money in marketing.

Yea, it's not so hard use tons of animations for every single fruit plant, which be easily looks better that Pokémon video example, but I think that will be feature killer, because this is not monetized project (I guess, I'm new here) - yea, there will be probably some small budget from unity engine marketing department -, but making custom made animations for every single fruit plant is simply too expensive (time, money, or both) even for bigger projects. So if somebody make it on one tree, there is good possibility its end on that one tree.

I think we need simple, reusable on other objects, but good looking solution. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad for your post, and maybe I'm wrong, and somebody will create animations for every fruit plant, and I use them with pleasure.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2021