Search Unity

Collaborative Working in VR (Steam VR on Vive) - Where to Start?

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by MaxPalmer, Oct 9, 2017.

1. MaxPalmer

MaxPalmer

I have experience with Unity and VR development, but no experience of how I would construct a multi-user VR application that allows multiple users to see the same environment and each other (hands + head). Even if one user is passive and the other active, how would I go about this and what frameworks / assets help here - e.g. with the mirroring of scene data and representation of avatars.

2. LaneFox

LaneFox

Avatars are just transform data. Sync the data like any other bit of data, just because it's VR doesn't mean you have to handle it differently. Normal networking applies.

3. MaxPalmer

MaxPalmer

Thanks. What are the pointers to doing this VR or not. How much of the networking support would I need to build vs. what is provided? As you can tell I'm completely new to networking in Unity.

4. LaneFox

LaneFox

Most people use Photon. They have plenty of tutorials and examples.

5. KrakenKoders

KrakenKoders

I agree with LaneFox, I am currently using this: https://github.com/bddckr/VRTK-PUN-NetworkTest as a base for a game I am working on. I've seen people using UNet as well, but everything I've read seems to indicate that Photon is better for networking VR. The project I listed will get you started on the basics, from there it's forums, videos, and the Photon documentation.

6. MaxPalmer

MaxPalmer

Many thanks, I'll check it out.