Search Unity

1. Welcome to the Unity Forums! Please take the time to read our Code of Conduct to familiarize yourself with the forum rules and how to post constructively.
  2. Have a look at our Games Focus blog post series which will show what Unity is doing for all game developers – now, next year, and in the future.
    Dismiss Notice

Collaboration window doesn't refresh - OS X (Blank window issue)

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by zerotech15, Aug 26, 2016.

1. zerotech15

zerotech15

Hi guys,

Platform: OS X El Capitan, Unity 5.4.0f3
    Bug ticket number: 826494

I'm unable to use Collaboration feature since the widget window stopped refreshing at all. Switching on and off the feature didn't help, either restarting Unity. When I switch off Collaboration service the window offers me to "Start now" as expected, when I click the button the window just remains the same as it stopped refreshing. When I reopen the widget window it is grey.

My actions before the bug has appeared:
    - Created the project
    - Enabled Collaboration service
    - Made first commit with basic project hierarchy
    - Imported SteamVR plugin. Accepted all changes to the project settings
    - Remember checking Collab, it was showing the changes properly
    - Imported The Lab Renderer
    - Made some changes to my scripts.
    - When I open Collab window its always grey.

Only one instance of Unity is running.

Could you fix it asap please? It is my first acquaintance with Collaboration service and it doesn't work.
    I won't rely on unstable service which may suddenly stop working any time.

2. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

@nmindiedev Thank you so much for a wonderful post!! I have grabbed your bug and just took a look.
    From first glance it looks like there is a package issue. I'm going to confirm with my team as well as the VR team. Thank you again!

I'm also pinging our PM @quixotic She will really appreciate your feedback on your first-time user experience.

So sorry this was such a mess. Watch your email for a bug response when I have an update. I'm also moving this thread over to the Collaborate section of the forums, just so more Collab folks can have eyes on it.

Thank you!!

3. zerotech15

zerotech15

Hey thanks! I couldn't find Collaborate section among other forums that's why I have put it in editor support. I really would like to use Collab feature because it is very simple and powerful enough. So I hope you will get it fixed asap and looking forward to further testing guys!

holliebuckets likes this.
  4. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

Ya that's our fault, it's "hidden" so you need a direct link :) you did an awesome job posting to the second most appropriate forum space lol

Soon it will be 100% visible :) Thank you, again!

5. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

@nmindiedev Quick follow up questions:
    -Do you have a Vive plugged in?
    -Could you check your local host file by going to this link (with the Editor running):
    http://localhost:38000/unity/service/collab/localChanges
    It should look something like this:
    If it doesn't please let me know.

Thank you so much!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  6. zerotech15

zerotech15

No I didn't have Vive plugged in. Just was setting up the environment before the start of production. Notice that I'm running Unity on OS X and it doesn't support Steam VR. However I don't think Steam VR should be preventing me from opening the project and working on the code.

Regarding the localhost URL, I have a text showing up different from the one you've posted above, it seems to be the complete listing of changes done to the project that will be submitted with the next commit. I can't post it on public forums though. By the way, I don't know what happened, probably due to OS restart, the problem has gone and Collab widget works ok now.

But I don't think the bug isn't still out there.

7. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

Thanks so much for the update @nmindiedev !
    That is wonderful to hear you are currently unblocked. When you ran into the error before, did you restart the editor by chance? I'm wondering if you still had bad JS packages, the editor downloaded them, and then we timed out before looking at them. Restarting your OS/Editor basically refreshed the read.

I agree with you the bug is still out there. If by chance, hopefully not, you every see it again, please don't hesitate to reach out again! Thank you!!!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  8. zerotech15

zerotech15

Yes, I tried restarting Editor but not OS. Hope I won't meet this bug again. Could you please look into the issue w/o waiting for other reports? No package should mess with Collab system because this fact makes the feature too fragile to use on daily basis with any projects.

Have a nice day!

holliebuckets likes this.
  9. holliebuckets

holliebuckets

That was bad vocabulary on my part :)
    Packages refer to JavaScript packages we use in Collaborate, not Unity asset packages.

Putting this up here and editing my previous post just to make sure I don't confuse anyone.

10. zerotech15

zerotech15

Okay!

unityunity