Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Official Collaborate will soon be upgraded to Plastic SCM

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by marie-unity, Oct 26, 2021.

1. BenS_UK

BenS_UK

Hi,
    I've received an email to tell me I've had my project moved from Collaborate to Plastic and in Unity Editor I'm getting the error in Collaborate to tell me that my project has now been archived. So I believe the cloud migration has happened.

I now need to do the local migration, so have updated to Unity Editor 2021.1.25f1 but I'm not getting the Plastic Migration wizard pop-up when I start, which I understand is supposed to happen from the instructions on-line.

Am I misunderstanding or is there another action I need to take to kick off the wizard.
    Is there anyway to kick it off manually?

Thanks Ben

2. TinyCrocodileStudios

TinyCrocodileStudios

Hi, I would like to know what it means that "the full history of collaborate" will be migrated and that the history takes up storage. How much space is that exactly? I don't want to be badly surprised by the end of Februar and like to do a quick calculation on how much storage we would need. Can I see the size of the history somewhere?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2022
  3. iddqd

iddqd

4. ollieblanks

ollieblanks

Unity Technologies

Hi @Karsten,

Please refrain from attacking other members of the forum. Everyone is only here to help.

Here are the facts:
    • Plastic SCM is a more functional source control management system than Collaborate as it has many more features (Branching, three-way merge, triggers, to name a few).
    • Although great for its simplicity, Collaborate had its own issues when scaling with large projects.
    To address your specific questions:
    The only change will be that you will no longer see the Collaborate or Plastic SCM options within the Unity Editor. It will have no impact on your project's "identity" with other Unity services.

Unfortunately, you are being forced off of Collaborate, but you are not forced to use Plastic SCM. You are free to use any source control management system you wish. There is even the option to export your Collab repository with all of its data to a Git repository via the Dashboard.

No, there are no plans to stop Addressables. Addressables is not a Unity Cloud service.

The error message in the screenshot suggests that your client was previously configured with an Enterprise server on a different authentication mode. Likely due to your previous use of Plastic SCM. The support team will be able to assist you in getting this resolved.

To conclude:
    It seems that your friction with the migration tool has come about from your previous endeavours with Plastic SCM. This is valuable feedback to us, as we would like to avoid all friction if possible, so thank you for raising it.

The Plastic SCM support team are one of the friendliest, most responsive support teams I have ever encountered. Yes, I may be biased, but I urge you to reach out to them if you have technical issues with the product.

I hope this information proves helpful to you.

JoNax97, mariandev and Karsten like this.
  5. EL-soNK

EL-soNK

I'm in the same boat. Got this email about the auto conversion, but nothing happens if I start any Collab project. I still see the "Collaborate" tab.

BenS_UK likes this.
  6. BenS_UK

BenS_UK

I've just moved to version 2021.2.0f1 and that kicked off the local update straight away. It doesn't look like 2021.1.25f1 works with Plastic or at least not automatically.

EL-soNK and ollieblanks like this.
  7. EL-soNK

EL-soNK

Thanks -- I tried it with 2021.2 and indeed... now the upgrade dialogue appeared. Thanks for the hint, seems that the info about the required Unity versions is not quite correct.

BenS_UK likes this.
  8. Gushmeister

Gushmeister

Hello. I am working on my project for 5 years now and I'm doing it in unity 2018.4 - I will release my game soon, march is the date. I can't use collaborate anymore now - why did you guys do that? I'm really afraid nothing will run anymore if I update to unity 2019. Is there a way to get Plastic SCM working on unity 2018 as well?????? Guys I really hope you don't break my project with that. Why are we forced to switch to that if we have older unity version!?!?

jason416, papaalfa and jvetulani like this.
  9. Airship

Airship

I was force migrated to plastic SCM and now I get
    "an existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host" every time I try to checking my changes to Plastic SCM.

Edit, nvm, this error seemed to go away once I clicked on the settings menu for Plastic SCM and actually installed Plastic SCM in the editor. Slightly strange it was not installed considering my editor migrated Plastic SCM and allowed me to attempt to upload without detecting installation first.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2022
    Nastomeya likes this.
  10. DunkOrSlam

DunkOrSlam

I am being forced to change unity versions as collaborate doesn't seem to be working anymore so I am forced to move to a unity version that works with Plastic. While trying to find a version that doesn't completely error out with my current setup I somehow corrupted a file. I wasn't thinking to backup my current project because normally anytime I mess something up I can just pull a fresh install from the collab but since that isn't working to force everyone to move over to Plastic, I cant pull a fresh install. So now I get the fun of troubleshooting how to fix my current install. I am mainly annoyed because I pay for the service just to get screwed over by it. Not impressed with Unity's services on this one.

jason416 likes this.
  11. andikm

andikm

I am in very similar situation. Using 2018 LTS. You are supposed to use the Plastic SCM Cloud Version client if you are on 2018 or older. It is a separate app outside of Unity but it links all your changes.

Actually mine is not working, but it might be the way I set it up. I can see all my previous Collab changes, but I can't do anything with them. Will be reaching out to their support.

If Unity and Plastic are reading this, it would be really helpful for a video for people with older versions of Unity ? I can only find videos with the editor plugin versions posted.

jason416 likes this.
  12. Ecoludologist

Ecoludologist

I'm freaking out, here, @marie-unity - I have a project which is version 2018.2.7f1. I don't have any of the files locally due to a recent hardware failure, and when I try to add it in Unity Hub, it isn't listed (a lot of my older projects aren't) - how can I download it so that I can update the version?

jason416 likes this.
  13. Mars91

Mars91

Can you point me to some documentation about using unity with GIT, we are hating Plastic SCM as much as you can hate something.

jason416 likes this.
  14. ceiline

ceiline

We had to upgrade our unity version in order to migrate to Plastic SCM, and a bunch of things broke. Wish Unity gave users the option to stay on collab if they were already using it

jason416, LaurieAnnis and Karsten like this.
  15. labud01

labud01

This is the moment Unity starts going downhill. Oh well, there are other engines out there.

16. Nastomeya

Nastomeya

I've been using Collaborate as my version control and I've paid for Unity "Cloud Storage" every month to extend the space for 3 years. Now you said it's fair to force users to turn off Collaborate to avoid the "Plastic SCM" banner showing up. And you said this does not count to force users to use "Plastic SCM"? I am completely lost.

jason416 and jvetulani like this.
  17. mariandev

mariandev

Hello, is the timeline still relevant? We haven't yet received the mail that our repositories were migrated to Plastic and the 28th of February is approaching and I don't know what that will mean for our unarchived projects. As a last resort I will have to manually migrate the projects if nothing happens in the next week or so.

18. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

I'm sorry to hear that you aren't seeing your projects in your remote repo list on the Hub. Can you visit your Unity Dashboard and see if the projects in your Organization are archived? (You can find this out by selecting a project in your Org, selecting DevOps in the left tab, then on the Collaborate->Assets menu item to see if there is a message at the top telling you that your project has been archived because of the Migration to Plastic SCM.

If your projects were migrated to Plastic SCM, then check with your Organization Owner if they received an email informing them that a new Plastic SCM Organization has been set up for them. They can view the Plastic SCM Dashboard to see if the new cloud organization has been created. Confirm that you are added as a member of the Plastic Org so that you can view the projects in the Hub again.

19. LaurieAnnis

LaurieAnnis

Do we have any choice over when this happens so that it won't coincide with important deadlines like a launch out of the blue?

kt245, jason416 and LilGames like this.
  20. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @LaurieAnnis, the migration is currently ongoing and is expected to reach the last batch of orgs in a few weeks. The best way to control when the migration happens for your org is to trigger it manually from the Collab Migration Wizard. Otherwise, you can also message Plastic SCM Support to ask to have your Unity Organization added to the last batch of migrated orgs.

LaurieAnnis likes this.
  21. ODINKONG

ODINKONG

If unity teams is going away next year should I keep paying my unity teams advanced subscription for my 25 GB in plastic or should I start paying Plastic?

What happens to my data in plastic when unity teams goes away. Will I need to quickly pivot to paying plastic some completely different amount of money when that happens? Or should I be pivoting to paying plastic instead now?

From the description it sounds like we keep paying our unity teams advanced subscription for now, and we get our same storage size on plastic, but then at an undetermined time this year unity teams will be shutdown at which point we will have to go to the plastic SCM website and sign up for a subscription there at whatever price they decide. Is that accurate?

I'm just trying to avoid losing access to our cloud storage and history because we didn't know who to pay and when.

22. iddqd

iddqd

Hi @marie-unity

So things did not work as expected.

I have a lifetime 50GB subscription in Collab, i asked about this here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/col...upgraded-to-plastic-scm.1188592/#post-7605985

Now I've transferred to Plastic SCM and I currently have 33gb in the cloud and am getting asked to pay 10$.

I contacted Unity through the Plastic SCM contact us link about a week ago but didn't hear anything back, the only thing I'm getting is more reminders to add my creditcard or my data will be deleted in a month.

Please take a look at this issue. According to Unity, we will never pay more than what we paid before the migration so I should "at least" be getting 50gb on plastic, even though 50gb on Collab was worth a lot more.

Thanks

23. lagruise

lagruise

What is going on? I did not ask for plastic
    Collab works just fine
    Tried to migrate anyway - and as expected Migration not working. Stuck in no-mans land........:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

On critical time line.
    please roll-back this much unneeded migration

upload_2022-4-13_18-48-40.png

kt245 and jason416 like this.
  24. SuperRaffles

SuperRaffles

I'm newish to Unity, and in the process of getting my first Unity game ready for release (iOS and Android first).

I've been generally been over the moon with Unity, it's exceeded my expectations - but this step of automatically archiving a collab project, and forcing us to Plastic SCM, and also forcing us to upgrade the Unity versions is absolutely unbelievable. I'm stuck on 2019.4.21 as it gives me the best, most stable performance on iOS and Android, yet I can't even use that with Plastic SCM. Why? is 2019.4.32 so radically different that Plastic SCM simply wouldn't work on 2019.4.21? Come on.

Is there any kind of workaround that would enable me to install Plastic SCM on 2019.4? And if not, when is Cloud Build Standalone available, and is that going to work on 2019.4.21?

Again, I'm kind of in disbelief. Cloud build has been working beautifully, I just tried to publish some changes to the app which is about to go to preorder on iOS and got the "Your repository is locked" message.

Surely it would make far, far more sense to give users the option, or at least only force new projects to Plastic SCM? It seems fairly common that people have found a stable build of Unity that works perfectly with their project, that may not be one of the Plastic compatible versions, and that upgrading the project to a Unity version breaks any number of things.

I tried searching for Cloud Build Standalone, and there is nothing to indicate a release, even though one post suggested it would be available towards the end of 2021.

kt245 likes this.
  25. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hey everyone, I'd like to take the time to respond to everyone in order.

Hi @ODINKONG, your Teams Advanced subscription will automatically transfer to a Plastic SCM subscription once your organization has been migrated. Your current number of seats and storage will also be grandfathered in at your current price so that you won't need to pay more if there would normally be a price difference between the two subscriptions. The migration is currently ongoing and is scheduled to be finished by the end of the month. The Owner of your Collab Org should receive an email from Plastic letting them know that the org has been migrated as soon as it's finished. Once the migration is complete, it's a simple process of signing into the Plastic SCM website using your Unity ID to use the Plastic client or Unity Plugin (available with the latest versions of the Version Control package, formerly called the Unity Collaborate package).

ODINKONG likes this.
  26. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @iddqd, I'm sorry that you haven't received a response back from our support team yet, that's highly unusual. Did you open a Support Ticket from our Support Page here or on the Unity Dashboard? In either case, could you share with me your Support Ticket ID so that I can find out why we didn't reach out to you in a timely manner? It's possible that there's an invoice error that is quickly resolvable. If it turned out that we accidentally overbilled you then we will be sure to refund you the discrepancy.

27. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @lagruise, I'm so sorry that you're experiencing issues during a time-sensitive moment. Could you open a new thread in this forum for this issue, making sure to include the version of the Unity Editor and Version Control package that your project is running on?

28. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @SuperRaffles, I'm so sorry that your experience with Plastic SCM has soured your impression of Unity. We recognize that this mandatory migration was not the smoothest transition for many of our users, but the migration from Collaborate to Plastic SCM needed to happen so that we could offer users a more stable and versatile tool for source control.

As for why the Version Control package is not supported on your version of 2019.4, the package requires a few Editor-side changes to function properly and integrate smoothly with the Editor on startup. Unfortunately, the earliest we were able to get these changes into the 2019.4 branch was in 2019.4.29f1. If there are any specific Android/iOS performance issues that you are concerned about then have you had a chance to open a thread discussing them in their respective forum yet? I'm certain that those teams would want to address those issues as quickly as possible.

I'm afraid that I'm not familiar with the Cloud Build team's roadmap, so I can't comment on whether a standalone version of their service is on the way or not. However, Cloud Build does support Plastic SCM through the Web Dashboard and can be configured to generate builds from your Plastic SCM cloud repo using the steps mentioned here. If you run into any issues configuring Plastic SCM with Cloud Build then don't hesitate to reach out to the team on their forum. I hope that this helps to answer some of your immediate concerns and, again, I'm sorry that this migration happened during such an inopportune time for you.

SuperRaffles likes this.
  29. SuperRaffles

SuperRaffles

Thanks for the reply Ryan. I apologise if my post was a bit OTT, but as you said the timing is pretty horrendous, as I've been working round the clock to get the game ready for preorder etc, then this happened which threw a pretty big spanner in the works ;)

Regarding Unity 2019.4.21, I would definitely like to contact the relevant teams about why I decided to stay on 2019.4.21 and am reluctant to upgrade, yes.

My first Unity project is a fairly ambitious one - a big open world driving game (64km2 map, with over 128km of roads) that uses addressables to stream assets in and out, and works very well even on mobile. It's one of the reasons I've been so happy with Unity actually, as the performance has exceeded my expectations, coming from my own cobbled together engine. Especially with newer Unity functionality like Addressables, DOTS, dynamic resolution etc etc.

In order to maintain the performance on a game that is pushing mobile devices to their limits, I am relying heavily on dynamic resolution with Vulkan and Metal. It works really well on Android (not so well on iOS because of the incorrect frame timings, but I think that's Metal's issue) and one of the things I'm doing to maximise the performance is the old console trick of scaling more in the horizontal axis than the vertical one. It works really well to bring the pixel count down, with a minimal hit in visuals.

Annoyingly 2019.4.21 is the most recent version that supports this.

2019.4.22 was updated to only scale in 5% increments for a speed boost, but obviously this speed boost doesn't come close to closing the gap to the huge boost I get being able to scale more in the horizontal axis. So basically I get significantly worse performance on Android, post 2019.4.21. 2019 has proven the most stable on iOS too, which surprisingly is more prone to crashing than the Android build, which never crashes.

If it only scales in 5% increments that's fine, but please allow us once more to scale the X/Y axes by different amounts, it's incredibly useful, especially on mobile GPUs.

30. jason416

jason416

I have a project nearing completion on 2018.4.32LTS. I just discovered that we can no longer use collab?! This is really going to set me back to upgrade or switch services. I'm also not happy about paying for this service and storage for 3 years to have it pulled out from under me.

kt245 likes this.
  31. iddqd

iddqd

Thanks @Ryan-Unity - In each email you have the "Contact us" Link that leads to https://create.unity.com/plasticscm-contact-us - that's where I contacted you. But I'll create another Ticket here: https://www.plasticscm.com/support

Ryan-Unity likes this.
  32. leegod

leegod

as u expected, this S*** starts to spit bugs and bugs.

Why you forcibly update collaborate to this? I can't understand. Why u put devs to bugs hell and waste time?

so, how to resolve this error? restart, did everything but not works.

scm-not-work.JPG

kt245 likes this.
  33. SuperRaffles

SuperRaffles

I thought I might as well go all the way and upgrade from 2019.4.21 to the so called LTS version of 2021 - 2021.3.0. After taking a few hours to convert to 2021, I find out it's unusable as DOTs isn't even available for 2021 yet. Any idea when the new Entities is going to be available for 2021?

Upon updating to 2019.4.38 instead, PlasticSMC prompted me to convert the collab project to PlasticSCM etc, all seemed fairly easy and user friendly.

Only one big catch - editor performance is horribly slow compared to before.

I have a 5800 and 32gb of RAM, and now changing a serialised field value on a prefab takes literally a few seconds to autosave the prefab file. Quite a frustrating experience, especially when making constant adjustments to various sliders. Before it was essentially instantaneous.

Is this a known issue, and is there any setting that can rectify this newfound sluggishness? Does Plastic do significantly better with text or binary?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2022
  34. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

@SuperRaffles, your game sounds very interesting and I hope I get to see it on the market soon! I would try asking in the General Graphics forum on why resolution scaling doesn't seem to be supported anymore on newer Editor versions.

As for when DOTS Entities will be available in 2021, I'm not sure of that myself, but someone in the DOTS Forum should be able to clarify that.

Now your Editor performance dropping after switching your Collab project to Plastic SCM is alarming. Does the performance regression disappear if you go to your Package Manager and uninstall the Version Control package? (This won't delete your workspace settings, so re-installing the package will allow you to continue working with your Plastic workspace). If it does go back to normal, then sharing a sample repro project would help us a lot in debugging this issue.

Plastic can handle binary files (it just can't diff them easily), but there shouldn't be a huge performance discrepancy whether you're editing a binary or text file.

SuperRaffles likes this.
  35. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @jason416, I'm sorry that you didn't receive our emails regarding the upcoming Collab Migration. You can learn more about the migration here, but your current cloud storage subscriptions will be grandfathered into your Plastic subscription at the current cost. I understand it's not easy having the tools you rely on be pulled our from beneath your feet to be replaced with something new, but we have documentation in place to help transition Collab users as smoothly as possible. Please open a new thread if you run into any issues with the migration.

36. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @leegod, I'm sorry you've been seeing this warning in your Plastic SCM settings. In your
    plastic4 directory (under $HOME/.plastic4 on Linux/Mac systems or C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\plastic4 on Windows), can you open your "client.conf" file and check if "<WatcherEnabled>no</WatcherEnabled>" can be found in the config? If yes, then can you try closing the Editor, deleting this setting, saving the changes, then reopening your project to see if that resolves the issue?

37. NPC142

NPC142

Is unity build version 2020.3.23f1 supported with PSCM cloud?

38. Ryan-Unity

Ryan-Unity

Hi @NPC142, yes, in the 2020LTS, any Editor newer than 2020.3.20f1 will support the Unity Plugin for Plastic SCM, including the cloud repos.

39. kt245

kt245

I am a teacher at a college, and this is a disaster for my students in Game Design I. I TOLD THEM to BUY subscriptions to unity Teams to make collaboration easier since most version control software has steep learning curves for artists and the pricing is not bad for barely three months of development (most of my students are majoring in design, not programming).

Now I feel like a fool! I did not know this was coming so soon. My poor students purchased Unity teams, Collab was great for them since it is simple and sits inside of Unity, but now they are forced to learn a whole new software only two weeks before their project is due. They literally woke up to this in the middle of developing their very first game projects.

This is wrong. It's not the right way to treat consumers of a service. It would be different if it was free, but it is not.

A simple fix would just be to allow projects to continue using Collab until a cut off deadline, rather than saying "hey, you must use this now- it's better, so don't worry!" Do not tell ME what is better for MY projects. For my students, Collab is superior to Plastic because of it's simplicity, and being forced to switch suddenly is hard on productivity and morale. As both a teacher and a creator of small game projects, I would never dare do something like that to my own teams or my students. I cannot think of a better way to make a team furious. Software evolves and that's something you need to be prepared for, but we have version control for a reason- newest is not always best. I have enjoyed Unity for years, I've never wanted to switch engines, but this is disturbing. This is the only post I've ever made on the forums but I had to sound off on this. Please do better by the many types of people who use your software.

40. This was the case. They announced last October that Collab will be terminated this spring.

--
    Is this some free college or something? Why the software license isn't in the price otherwise? I'm guessing this is one of those places where the students bring the toilet paper too.

41. Gamemakers3D

Gamemakers3D

sFTP file transfer and zip editor archive are good enough, if having unlimited traffic and web storage on server side hosting. Else generate again the cached 3 gigabytes per project of artifacts and temp takes long processing, again.

42. kt245

kt245

They said it would terminate may 31st? It’s not even May yet. This only affected one team and tbh I’m wondering why. I asked them if they agreed to migrate to plastic, but they claim they did not get any prompts, just an error in Collab. Since it’s actually only affecting ONE team it’s not as big of a disaster as I thought, but it’s annoying for that team.

Some students CAN get unity teams for free at my school. It’s still a paid product even so. Money IS tight where I work. They would make the students pay for toilet paper if they could, and in a way they do- it’s called tuition. You pay to attend colleges. But would the situation be any better if they weren’t students but independent developers? Which they might be very soon? The economic condition of the college and my own choices as a teacher make this a bigger problem I agree. I should probably start teaching GitHub rather than ever relying on the (in Unity’s own words) inferior Collab system. But it would still be a problem either way! Come on, you upgrade a product by throwing an error in the product you just made obsolete? At best it’s rude.

43. Admittedly, English isn't my first language, but this sounds to me that you can only EXTRACT your data FROM Collaborate until May 31, not use it.

kt245 likes this.
  44. cheapcpps

cheapcpps

This is incredibly disappointing, rip good collab, hello garbage plastic waste

kt245 likes this.
  45. kt245

kt245

You are right, meaning there’s no clean date for the plastic update like I was assuming. The updates are “rolling out” as we get closer to the deadline. Why would you roll out a new software like it was a software update? It seems really strange. I was not nearly as aware of this as I should have been. Other teams are coming to with this and they are confused thinking they “broke Collab.” F*** me I suppose and anyone who dared to prefer the straightforward simplicity of Collab. It’ll be missed.

SuperRaffles likes this.
  46. kt245

kt245

This would have been such a simple solution, and significantly more “human” aka “humane.”

47. Okay, last comment on this, because I have a feeling you are bending over backwards to misinterpret the entire situation.
    Unity isn't rolling out new software. PlasticSCM isn't new, PlasticSCM for Unity isn't new. They are converting thousands (well, probably tens of thousands) of repositories from Collab (git-based) to PlasticSCM (plastic based, obviously) and they are bringing through files too, sometimes many gigabytes worth. They cannot do it at once.
    Look, Unity announced this way before, they gave ample time to act, they made ways to fairly easily migrate your projects to other git-based services. They sent emails about this move, wrote blog post, made several forum threads about it and they are fairly active on real support threads to help people to migrate their repositories either onto Plastic or other services.

I think they handled this migration better than the entire Collab service throughout its existence.

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2022
  48. cheapcpps

cheapcpps

If they're going to force this awful migration, at least make it work. In my project, it constantly bugged me to migrate to Plastic, so I did, then it kept bugging me, and I did it again, and it worked a little bit. Now, it doesn't even let me in the Plastic window, it's grayed, I literally can not use any form of collaborate on my project.

49. MAnnetta

MAnnetta

I, too, am a professional game developer, but I also teach game design at the collegiate level as an Adjunct professor. I suggested that my students use Collab this semester instead of Plastic for the simple reason that, as they signed up for the Unity Student Plan, they would have FIVE Collab seats per team versus the THREE Plastic seats that Unity seems to be providing. There has been zero update (at least that I can find) that details how Unity will treat its Student Plan members in terms of how many seats they will provide. Most Student teams (and, like you, my students are design focused and not engineering focused) are a minimum of five people precisely _because_ they are just learning and are on very tight development cycles (one semester if they are lucky and usually it's much shorter than that - most likely mere weeks for development). I had to spend an entire class working through students updating their nearly complete projects from Collab to Plastic with only one class left before their final project is due. Horrible Horrible timing and not great communication as to how Unity is planning on handling their educational outreach.

50. MAnnetta

MAnnetta

Like @kt245 above, I, too, teach game design at the collegiate level as an Adjunct professor. My students are design focused and not tech/engineering focused, so I love to have them use Unity for several reasons (visual scripting, Collab built in, and the Unity Student Plan among them). I suggested that my students use Collab this semester instead of Plastic for the simple reason that, as they signed up for the Unity Student Plan, they would have FIVE Collab seats per team versus the THREE Plastic seats that Unity seems to be providing with Unity Teams. I'd like to know what the plan is, moving forward, for the Unity Student Plan and how many Plastic seats will be available for student teams. Most Student teams are a minimum of five people precisely because they are just learning and are on very tight development cycles (one semester/fifteen weeks if they are lucky and usually it's much shorter than that - most likely mere weeks for development). There is strength in numbers and, as teachers, we generally try to have larger student teams so stronger students can help support the weaker students (and they all have strengths and weaknesses in different areas, so building larger teams helps balance projects).

How is Unity planning on handling their educational outreach in terms of version control for teams? It would be very detrimental for students to have to ask them to pay for a few individual seats when they are just learning (and teams of three might be fine for more advanced students, but not at all when they are just starting out and need as much support as they can get).