Search Unity

Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Official Collaborate will soon be upgraded to Plastic SCM

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by marie-unity, Oct 26, 2021.

1. marie-unity

marie-unity

Administrator

Hello Collaborate Users!

We’re here to announce an exciting new upgrade to your version control capabilities.

On November 26th, we will begin upgrading the version control component within selected Unity Teams plans from Collaborate to Plastic SCM. Plastic SCM is Unity’s most scalable, feature-rich version control system (VCS) solution, built for teams of any size and projects at every level of complexity.

This upgrade will be done gradually in cohorts over the coming months, starting with users with projects on Editor versions which are already supported by Plastic SCM. You can use any of the latest available versions of the Unity Editor, as they already support Plastic SCM.

Specifically, you need to upgrade your projects to any of the versions below in order to use Plastic SCM for Unity:

2019.4.32f1 or later 2019.4 versions
    2020.3.20f1 or later 2020.3 versions
    2021.1.25f1 or later 2021.1 versions
    2021.2.0b16 or later 2021.2 versions
    2022.1.0a12 or later 2022.1 versions

After the upgrade, local Collaborate projects on supported versions will be converted into Plastic SCM workspaces, so that you can resume creating with minimal interruption.

If you do not want to wait for the automated migration to reach your cohort and wish to migrate immediately, you can do so using our Collaborate migration tool.

Do I need to pay anything extra for Plastic SCM?

No, you will not pay anything extra to get started with Plastic SCM.

Once upgraded, Unity Teams Basic Users will receive three (3) seats of Plastic and 5 GB of storage.

Unity Teams Advanced Users will receive three (3) seats of Plastic and 25 GB of complimentary storage. You will not pay more after the upgrade than you did before the upgrade for the same amount of usage.

Why is Plastic SCM a better version control solution?

Plastic SCM provides robust collaboration and source control capabilities that empower all members of your team to work safely, responsively, and securely at scale.

Unlike Collaborate, Plastic SCM provides branching and merging, as well as locking capabilities that empower multiple team members to work on the same code without fear of unresolvable conflicts or lost work.

Additionally, as projects grow, so do file sizes, and Plastic SCM is purpose-built to remain responsive, even when working with massive files. No more wasted hours waiting for projects to load!

Why are we giving this complimentary upgrade?

Next year, Unity Teams and Collaborate will be going away. We are still working out exact timelines, but will be in constant communication with you between now and that date.

Plastic SCM will be our fully-featured Version Control offering moving forward, which is why we’re upgrading you as soon as possible. As part of this upgrade, we will be migrating your unarchived Collaborate projects over to Plastic.

Upgrades from Collaborate to Unity Plastic SCM are ongoing and will continue through the month of April. You will get an email 2 business days before we upgrade your organization to Plastic SCM.

You will have until May 31, 2022 to extract your data from archived Collaborate projects. On this date, all archived projects will be deleted permanently. All unarchived projects will automatically be upgraded to Plastic SCM.

If you want to keep a copy of your archived projects and their history, make sure to go to the Unity Dashboard , select the project you want to export and access DevOps > Collaborate > Storage to start the export.

We will also be launching a standalone version of Cloud Build towards the end of 2021, with new pay-as-you-go pricing, to ensure you can still use Cloud Build once Teams Advanced goes away.

Where can I learn more about Plastic SCM?

See our blog post about Plastic SCM for Unity in our blog post. Plastic SCM for Unity is included in the Version Control package in the Unity Editor, is integrated with the Unity Hub and does not require a separate client install.

Plastic SCM for Unity updates will be shared in the Plastic SCM section of the Unity forums.

You can learn more in our Getting Started with Plastic SCM Quick Start Guide.

For additional information, be sure to check out:
    If you have any setup questions, contact our Support team. We’re ready to help.

Thanks!
    The Plastic SCM team

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    benoitd_unity and Lurking-Ninja like this.
  2. This sounds great. As a Team Advanced owner I may return to it to test out the Plastic SCM migration and all. :)

It is a good decision to retire Collaborate and especially allow people to migrate to SCM on the same conditions.

I like this.

marie-unity likes this.
  3. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I'm assuming this is also for people that already migrated to and are now paying for PlasticSCM?

Also, since our Collaborate repo was unable to be moved to PlasticSCM when you initially purchased Plastic (your tool was giving an error, we attempted multiple times, Unity support also attempted multiple times), we started a new one on Plastic, so we now have 2 repos, one on Plastic that we actually use for day to day and I also occasionally open the Collaborate version to access some really old files, or see how things were before some changes or whatever.

What happens now? Do we lose our Collaborate history? We kinda need it.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
    Nastomeya likes this.
  4. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

I'm too curious what about Collaborate history.

Nastomeya likes this.
  5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Hopefully all my stuff doesn't get deleted or anything, have a lot of old projects.

Nastomeya and Karsten like this.
  6. Just be careful what you wish for, in Plastic SCM realm, all the history count towards the gigabyte usage, not just the heads. So plan accordingly.

7. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

Also one more question. What if someone don't want to migrate to Plastic SCM and pay 20$ instead of 5$ for 20GB storage. ( 240$ per year instead of 60$ is big difference) (or even much more if Plastic SCM realm, all the history count towards the gigabyte usage as @Lurking-Ninja said) Is there any way to totally resign from collab then? (and for example, keep the project on collab only until the end of the year?)

8. marie-unity

marie-unity

Administrator

Hi @AcidArrow,

Our Plastic SCM support team will reach out to you to address your specific case. The full history of Collaborate will be migrated to Plastic SCM during the migration process.

9. marie-unity

marie-unity

Administrator

The full history of Collaborate will be migrated to Plastic SCM during the migration process.

10. marie-unity

marie-unity

Administrator

You will not pay more after the upgrade than you did before the upgrade for the same amount of usage. If your plan was free, it will remain free. If it was 5$, it will remain 5$.

The Plastic SCM storage pricing is also changing. Starting in November, we are simplifying cloud storage pricing for Plastic SCM Cloud Edition.

Everybody will still receive their first 5 GB of storage free. Storing between 5 GB to 25 GB will cost $5. You can purchase storage above that in increments of 25 GB, which cost $5 each.

You can see a summary of the pricing changes below:

upload_2021-10-26_16-23-48.png

Lurking-Ninja likes this.
  11. marie-unity

marie-unity

Administrator

All unarchived projects and their full history will be migrated to Plastic SCM. Archived projects will not be migrated. If you want to get the data from a project as a backup, you can do so in Collaborate > Storage on the Unity Dashboard.

upload_2021-10-26_16-31-42.png

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
  12. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

But will they be deleted? If so what is the deadline please?

13. iddqd

iddqd

Hi

I have a lifetime Teams Advanced Promotion Subscription with free 50GB in Collaborate. I'm assuming I will continue to have free the 50GB in Plastic SCM since in migration email it says "If your projects exceed 5 GB, you will continue to pay your current rate for storage"

Thanks for confirming

Marc-Saubion likes this.
  14. marie-unity

marie-unity

Administrator

You will not pay more after the upgrade than you did before the upgrade for the same amount of usage. So whatever you are paying today as part of your plan is what you will pay for the same amount of usage when your projects are migrated.

iddqd likes this.
  15. iddqd

iddqd

Ok, great. Thanks for the answer.

16. marie-unity

marie-unity

Administrator

You will have until February 28, 2022 to extract your data from archived Collaborate projects. On this date, all archived projects will be deleted permanently. All unarchived projects will automatically be upgraded to Plastic SCM.

hippocoder likes this.
  17. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Thank you for the clarification.

18. jonisavo

jonisavo

Hi,

We have a small university project which we're using Collab for. The deadline for it is on the 3rd of December, which is around a week before your November 26th date. I just want to clarify this: is our project going to be forcefully transferred to use Plastic SCM? (We just upgraded to Unity 2020.3.21f1.) It would not be beneficial for us since having to learn a new version control system at the final stretch wouldn't be very fun at all.

Thanks!

LaurieAnnis likes this.
  19. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

Thanks for reply that sounds great than! How Plastic will be counting storage. Will all history storage count into limit?

20. marie-unity

marie-unity

Administrator

Yes. In Plastic SCM, your project history counts towards your storage space. We will soon be introducing a feature in Plastic SCM Cloud Edition to allow you to manage the storage space you are utilizing.

21. noam_2000

noam_2000

Hi,

Me and my team have been using Collaborate for a long while now, and have a long history of data we'd like to keep. However, due to a bunch of incompatibilities and issues, we're unable to move from our version 2019.3.7f1 - just a little short of the required version.

Before I start working on extracting our data and searching for a replacement, I feel I have to confirm first - is this migration truly impossible on our front? Is 2019.4.32f1 a hard minimum, or is there flexible room?

Thanks!

22. Jakub_Machowski

Jakub_Machowski

So basically the price will increase as even with 25 GB project and story of 1-2 years it will be like 50 or more GB. This is important thing to mention then. What then with upgrade if we will migrate project of 20-25GB (actual size) we will lose history?

Marc-Saubion likes this.
  23. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Looks like I'm going to just get all my files and start a fresh project on plastic as it will be cheaper.

24. Mars91

Mars91

Do I need of a Plastic SCM account, set 5$ payment for 20GB again or everything will "just work".

25. marie-unity

marie-unity

Administrator

If you do not use the Collaborate migration tool, once the upgrade reaches your cohort, all your unarchived Collaborate projects will be migrated into Plastic SCM repos and a Plastic SCM account will be created using your Unity ID. We will ensure you will not pay more after the upgrade than you did before the upgrade for the same amount of usage.

The main action you need to take is to upgrade your projects to any of the versions below in order to use Plastic SCM for Unity:

2019.4.32f1 or later 2019.4 versions
    2020.3.20f1 or later 2020.3 versions
    2021.1.25f1 or later 2021.1 versions
    2021.2.0b16 or later 2021.2 versions
    2022.1.0a12 or later 2022.1 versions

26. iddqd

iddqd

Hi @marie-unity

I ran the migration today and now Plastic says I only have 25gb available, where my old Collab had 50gb and I explicitly asked about this situation here
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/col...upgraded-to-plastic-scm.1188592/#post-7605985

Should I create a support ticket for the missing 25gb to be applied?

Thanks

hippocoder likes this.
  27. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Same question before I migrate.

iddqd likes this.
  28. marie-unity

marie-unity

Administrator

Hi @iddqd,

Two things will be discounted on your invoice:
    • The amount of storage from your Unity Teams plan will be deducted.
    • The upgrade differential, which is the difference between the size of your projects in Collaborate (which only take the head of the project into account) and the size of your projects in Plastic SCM (which tracks the full project history) will be deducted. The upgrade differential will vary for each customer. You will permanently get this upgrade differential deducted from your monthly billing.
    Here is an example:
    • A user has 50 GB of storage in their Unity Teams plan.
    • At the time their organization is upgraded from Collaborate to Plastic SCM, the storage used goes from 20 GB on Collaborate to 25 GB on Plastic SCM. This means the upgrade differential for this user is 5 GB.
    • Let's pretend they use Plastic SCM during the month and the Plastic SCM storage at the end of their billing cycle has grown to a total of 30 GB.
    The Plastic SCM invoice would show the following information for storage:

Plastic Cloud Edition subscription, 30 GB usage
    Discount - Unity Teams Subscriptions Storage, - 50GB
    Discount - Collaborate Upgrade Storage Differential, - 5 GB

Total storage billed for the period: 0 GB 0$

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2021
    mariandev and Lurking-Ninja like this.
  29. iddqd

iddqd

Hi @marie-unity

Thanks, it sounds complicated but I think I understand. Anyway i'll pump it up to 50gb and then get back to you if I'm charged anything.

marie-unity likes this.
  30. So, I went ahead and migrated my only test project I left in Collab so I can test the migration. It worked. The migration itself. Before the migration I had 25GBytes of storage on my account (came with a promo subscription for Plus when I first subscribed), it is obviously gone. Neither the Unity dashboard shows it nor the Plastic site.
    I guess I will stay with the Azure Devops Repos for the time being...

31. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

@marie-unity We have not been contacted by PlasticSCM support yet as you told us in the previous message. At this point we plan on contacting support mid January, but I'll recap our situation here.

Our situation is as follows:

1. We used to use Collaborate.
    2. Months ago, we tried to migrate our Collaborate repo to PlasticSCM. It didn't work.
    3. We involved Unity and PlasticSCM support, they could not migrate our history to PlasticSCM either.
    4. We decided on the following compromise: Start from scratch in PlasticSCM and then keep Collaborate around in cases I need to check some older history (which I occasionally have).
    5. We have been paying for PlasticSCM ever since.

My questions are:

1. Can the Collaborate repo be moved and MERGED with our current plasticscm repo, so we have all our history in one repo, like we wanted from the start? Has anything changed with your migration tool? Last time it was constantly failing for our project and even when people from Unity/Codice attempted to use it.
    2. Failing that, can we get an export of the history of the Collaborate repo in some format (git? svn? whatever) so we can keep it around ourselves?
    3. We had 40GB in Collaborate, through our Pro licenses and beta promos, will those transfer to Plastic?
    4. Will we still keep paying for PlasticSCM?

Last edited: Dec 19, 2021
  32. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I've done it all now. It was hard to find, under DevOps for some reason, so I had to make a ticket! Thanks for your help.

But now - how can I begin with plastic without any of that old stuff, I want a clean slate. Is it possible to begin using plastic without any baggage so I can maximise my moderator based pro license storage? I probably will pay some day but I'm wanting to be optimal at the moment :)

I have a good amount of storage I'd like to maximise. So does the chap above. I think it will be fine to just sort a few people out during this initial migration as it did come to a surprise to us.

Thanks for help.

33. camouflaged_penguin

camouflaged_penguin

So as i understand at latest in Februrary there Collab will not be there anymore and instead Plastic SCM is used in Unity for Version Controll.

I've read that Plastic SCM is setting a Storage Limit differently than Collab but the wording ist not totally clear to me. So what is the difference exactly?

Is there a clear date when Plastic SCM will replace Collab definetly?

34. iddqd

iddqd

The difference is explained here
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/col...upgraded-to-plastic-scm.1188592/#post-7726323
    So as I understood it, it's best to keep your projects in collab before migrating so you can get the max calcaulated storage differential. If you were to clean collab (archive projects) first, it sounds like your differential will be smaller after migrating - so less free storage.

mariandev likes this.
  35. camouflaged_penguin

camouflaged_penguin

this is the sentence i don't get:
    (which only take the head of the project into account) and the size of your projects in Plastic SCM (which tracks the full project history) will be deducted.)

what does head ot the project mean in this context?
    Just like head in Main Project Owner or something else?

36. iddqd

iddqd

In Collab only the last commit is counted to calculate how much GB your project is.

So I have a 20gb project > commit
    I delete 5gb of assets in the project (now it's 15gb)> commit

Now Collab counts only the last commit, so 15GB. Even though i can revert, so the other 5gb must be stored somehow.
    Also, if I archived this project, Collab counted it as 0GB.

Plastic counts all storage towards your quota, so it's a downside for us I would say, since 25gb on Collab were worth more.

So that how they try to compensate by calculating the actual size of your Collab when migrating and then you'll get a bit of a bonus storage.

37. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Too confusing. Why do I need to game the system for "bonus storage" ? fix it, Unity :p

38. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Yeah, that's weird. Or maybe I need to add then remove all linux distros one by one to my Unity project.

SMHall, iddqd and hippocoder like this.
  39. Mars91

Mars91

I migrate to Plastic. FOllowing the guide but point 4 is not happening (using Unity 2020.3.21)

1. If you are on a supported Unity version (see above) the Migration guide will pop up and lead you through the process of converting the local instance of your Collaborate project into a local instance for the Plastic workspace.

And Collaborate is working like nothing happen

40. iddqd

iddqd

Maybe try removing the Collaborate Package, afterwards you can open Plastic via "Window > Plastic SCM"

41. Mars91

Mars91

Only way to solve the issue was to disable collaborate ;)
    After that I had a bunch of new issues.
    Ended up downloading the project.

Now everything is working and feels a bit like black magic, Plastic SCM is fast as hell o_O

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
  42. Karsten

Karsten

good for you, I wonder that Plastic SCM works at all.
    How did you get past this screen?
    upload_2022-1-27_20-22-15.png

43. watson1423

watson1423

i liked colab because it was simple for the other users. like writers and animators ho didnt know git hub. Because if i am suposed to teach tons of stuf i would rather go with something like git or a cloud storage for those users.

44. I posted a couple of tutorials here, the second one is for artists, it's not complicated at all.

45. Karsten

Karsten

A catastrophe, absolute armageddon, I am manager in many Unity Orgs with much projects and I am in serious trouble because of this insane step Unity Technologies took here, turning down Collab completely , I would understand if they would say NEW projects cant be collab anymore ok, but this... this is... I dont find words...

I am concerned, really, for example question: Will similiar happen one day to adressables? Do you have to switch to SCxyz adressables 3rd party system one day no matter if you want or not?

46. Karsten

Karsten

"Best version control" wooohoooo strong words, are you ok man?

jvetulani, Nastomeya and labud01 like this.
  47. Apparently, despite being a manager, your reading skills need some improvements... I did not make that thread, but please, don't tell that anyone. I am okay, but you seem to be agitated and overly jerky for some reason.

And obviously, you're welcome.

48. Karsten

Karsten

yes I am agitated and jerky , Plastic fails since 15 years and is trashing now the Unity Game Services which looked to become something good, but now everyone must fear that at any time Unity Technologies says "service xyz is now done by our twitter follower xyz, join or die" , very dangerous, its negligent to continue using Unity Game Services at all when looking at what happend here

49. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

You have made your point to Unity. No need to argue with other developers who cannot change things for you.

50. Karsten

Karsten

How can I avoid an upgrade to Plastic ?, I dont want Plastic , we use Git with LFS now and a Git editor tool for the artists.

More precise asked, what happens if we uninstall the Version Control Package on projects at some point in time AFTER they was "auto migrated" by your insane auto upgrade to SCM system ?
    Will this affect other Unity Game Service Services ? Cloud Build is clear, we already work hard on switching everything to GIT repos as source (probably dont make it in time), my concern is that the Project identity itself in Unity Game Services Dashboard might get bugged and Teams Advanced could not work proper anymore and so on when Collab and SCM is not disabled on all of them before the armageddon day .