Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
Unity's version control component has been upgraded to Plastic SCM.

Collaborate Suggestions Thread

Discussion in 'Unity Collaborate' started by Invertex, Jan 25, 2017.

1. Invertex

Invertex

I feel like there should be a pinned thread solely for suggestions, possibly with a list of suggestions you guys deem reasonable.

A few suggestions I have:

1.) Publish Now menu list should expand to near bottom of screen. Currently I can only see 3 assets at a time and have to scroll. (And if possible, allow it to be a dedicated window like most things in Unity are.)

2.) Allow us to manually publish files from the Publish Now menu instead of having to go and find each file in our project to right click on.

3.) In conjunction with #2, allow multiple files to be selected in the publish list to manually commit.

4.) Allow a DIFF check to be done on the publish now list to remove any entries that come back as a match. This wouldn't be hard to do built into Unity, just a simple hash check. (Perhaps it's just a bug currently that is causing identical assets to sometimes still go into the publish list, in which case this shouldn't be needed).

5.) Right-click revert to previous version on files?

Awesome work with this though everyone. It came at the perfect time for us, and while it could use some improvements, it solves our primary needs and lets use just get straight to work without much hassle. And it's simple to use for our less technically inclined staff.

2. unidad3d

unidad3d

I think you are right and this should be pinned.

6.) Allow us to see diffs in assets/scripts not only when there is a merge conflict but always.

7.) Instead of you guys having to re-implement all the features of a git client that only the more experienced people would use, maybe you guys could allow us to connect to the repository using our git client of choice. That way inexperienced users or people who don't need/use advanced features can just use the collaboration tab in the editor. And people who need more advanced features can use their own client.

8.) Adding files to collab outside of the assets folder

PD: some of this are not mine, I think they worth to be here.

3. quixotic

quixotic

Administrator

Hurrah, suggestions!

2) Designed and in our queue.

3) As in, shift / ctrl to multi-select?

4) This sounds like buggy behavior, would you file a bug for us to look into? (In the editor: Help > Report a bug)

5) Yes, currently in figure out best way of doing this phase.

I'm glad to hear that!

6) Is this primarily for diff'ing local against an updated version of something? Or do you want to be able to diff older versions of a script against each other?

Invertex likes this.
  4. Invertex

Invertex

Hi, thanks for the response!

2) Awesome!

3.) Yeah something like that, so you'd easily be able to commit only a sub-group of things instead of everything, as your team members may want the latest version of a certain group of assets but you don't want to push out a bunch of unfinished work at the same time. (Adding on to this suggestion, a "Filter" input at the top would be helpful as well for large projects such as ours that deal with many thousands of files, one that works like the Project tab's filter would suffice).

4.) Uhh, the issue is it's hard to reproduce, I'm not 100% sure on the conditions that caused it. But the main series of events were: I started Unity with their account (owner account), committed the initial project, switched to my account and started doing changes and commits. Then the owner pulled the full project (project from the cloud option on launcher), they added in a bunch of assets they'd been working on, committed them and then we started running into push & pull issues for a bit that only resolved after they reverted their project to an earlier commit and re-pulled, along with a few Unity restarts along the way from both of us to redo the full project sync check. (Also, I had updated our import script to auto-disable "Weld Verts" near the start of this issue which caused a recommit of a few hundred META files which I think was one of the things that triggered the issues.)

It seems alright now, but I'll try to keep a close eye on it to see if I can narrow down specific conditions!

5) Awesome^2!

6.) I am assuming they mean to be able to click on any file and say "I want to choose a previous commit to compare to", or at the very least the last commit of it. Which I agree would be a nice feature for when you run into programming issues and would rather compare instead of revert.

(It's a shame Monodevelop does not have any compare tools built in, that would make a great integration with Collaborate. But not much ya'll can do about that!)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
    quixotic likes this.
  5. unidad3d

unidad3d

Can be both? If not the later one.

quixotic likes this.
  6. Zwilnik

Zwilnik

A couple of new ones from me

1) Ability to hard lock files (possibly just a scene) for when you're doing something pretty intensive and don't want anyone accidentally tweaking something

2) Management controls that let admins nerf someone's soft or hard lock on a file (needed just in case someone hard locks and goes on holiday ;) ). This also helps when Collaborate gets a bit confused and claims you're working on a file already. We had this quite a few times, especially when I'm hopping between desktop and laptop, but fortunately it's been more stable over the last week or so. Either way, having a manual option to clear those flags would be handy.

3) Email/Messaging option when someone updates. Useful as a ping to tell you someone's changed something when you may not be in Unity at the moment, but also handy as a paper trail ;)

unidad3d and Invertex like this.